Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Denilson and Cafu are at different end of the footballing spectrumCafu, team captain and chief motivator, is high on life and doesn't he show it. In the team hotel he's laughing and joking, whilst out on the training pitch he celebrates goals as if he's just won the World Cup, much to the amusement of his colleagues.

Denilson, by contrast, has been carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders of late. Missing from the national team until recently, he's also had to go through the agony of seeing his club side, Real Betis, relegated from the Spanish top flight.

However, both men have a common goal - winning for Brazil. Their motives may differ, but victory is what they are both about. They were more than happy to sit down in London with the Webmaster and explain their differing viewpoints.

"My outlook is always to be happy," said the veteran defender. "If I can go into a game feeling good, and feeling loose, then we have a good chance of getting a positive result.

"I do miss my family, but we all just have to get on with it."

The skipper lives life for life's sake, whereas Denilson sees every match as a test of his talent and strength of character.

"I'm turning my career around now, and every game for my club and my country is a decisive one," claimed the man whose move to Spain smashed the world transfer record.

"Coach Luxemburgo has given me a new chance and I have to make sure I don't let it go this time. I've had a hard time at club level, and this is an opportunity to lift myself.

"I have learnt from what has happened. I'm only 22, and it's all part of life's experience. I've been trying really hard, and I think I did OK against Wales and England. If I get a chance against Peru, I'll be desperate to have a good match."

The midfield magician will be hoping that this is not just another false dawn. He thought he was on the way back when called into the Brazilian Olympic squad, only to be blocked by Betis.

"I felt good, but then the problem with Betis appeared. They wouldn't release me at a time I thought I should be with the national squad to lift myself professionally.

"I do understand their point of view now, though. When I got back I was tired and fed-up, and I admit some of the statements I made to the press did not help the atmosphere around the club."

Denilson's woes in Spain have inevitably led to talk of a move away from Betis. Barcelona have been mentioned, as has a rumoured clause in his contract stipulating that he must be sold should Betis be relegated. The player himself is at pains to deny that allegation.

"There is nothing like that in my contract," he stressed. "I don't have to be sold. Talk about that is untrue.
"However, it is normal for a club to consider selling its top players when they go down. Not just me, but others, too. To be honest, I would rather not play in the Second Division, considering how far I've come in football already."

Two players divided by age and motivation, but united by a desire to play football for Brazil.

And, more importantly, to win.

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Really,
why should a top player from a different country be faithfull to a foreign club? After all , he is only their for the money! DOn't you guys agree?

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
Pelo Corinthians, com muito amor ate o fim.
A Corrente Jamais Sera Quebrada!
THE WORLD IS OURS

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Ok he's not playing in the right team but still a great player,one of the best in italy for sure..
he only do it for the money?
i dont agree with you on that
ok,it's always fun to earn money for the thing you love to do(football)
but i thing he likes as roma as well
and more and more cause roma is the colony of brazilians.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
denilson will never succeed if he keeps telling himself he must play a great game. maybe he would succeed if he instead told himself he must pass the damn ball sometimes.

do you guys remember how great denilson was in world cup 98 against chile, when brazil was winning easily? he was awesome and made some nice chances for ronaldo. that's when he had no pressure on himself.

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Nasty,
is their a big brazilian colony in Rome? Or is it just the club that likes to buy brazilians?
But hte money does count alot. Cafu left Sao Paulo (the club he grew up), to play for Palmeiras, in the mid 90's when the rivally between the clubs was humungous.....even the directors once fought in the stands!!

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
Pelo Corinthians, com muito amor ate o fim.
A Corrente Jamais Sera Quebrada!
THE WORLD IS OURS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts