Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although this article is more pertinent to the WUSA rather than the MLS, the figures are there to be seen.

One encouragement is that at least more people are going to the games, maybe they should leave their TVs on when they go out to get these ratings up a bit, 'cos they are pretty bloody dismal.

WUSA 2002 season opener on PAX: 0.095 rating

April 24, 2002

According to Neilsen Media Research, the WUSA 2002 season opener on April 13 received the dubious distinction of being the least-watched nationally-televised sports event on broadcast television during the week of April 8-14.

The San Jose vs Boston match on PAX TV only earned a 0.095 household rating, with an estimated 81000 households tuning in or recording the match on VCR's.

PAX TV is available in about 85 million US households via a combination of broadcast TV stations, cable, and satellite TV.

The WUSA match drew less viewers than the Wal-Mart FLW Fishing Tour on PAX TV, which earned a 0.12 household rating with an estimated 102000 households tuning in.

In comparison to the WUSA inaugural game in April 2001 on TNT which earned a 0.5 household rating, the 2002 WUSA season opener only drew one-fifth the TV audience.

MLS vs WUSA: Head to Head
==========================

MLS on ESPN2 WUSA on PAX TV
April 13 0.18 (148000) 0.095 (81000)
April 20 0.14 (114000)

ESPN2 is available in 82 million homes.

PAX TV is available in 85 million homes.

By the way, The WalMart FLW fishing tour was brilliant...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Im sorry to say that I watched a Little of a WUSA match yesterday I believe it was NY vs Phila. I found the match boring and very sloppy. I think my 14 year old team played with more passion and skill. I hope this is an aborition rather than the norm. If it is not then there will not be a future for this league.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I watched the San Jose v New York match, which puts me in a select group, and it was very entertaining. I watched yesterday's game and I agree, it was a snoozer. But, so was the MLS game that was on.

Now, that Man United v Bayer Leverkusen battle, that was soccer.:cool:

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
1. Women and girls should have every opportunity to play and enjoy all sports, and I think it is a great, great thing that times have changed so much that those opportunities are out there now. Good for them!

2. I would rather watch two flies fuc k, or grass grow, or paint dry, instead of watching women play sports. I want to watch hot, hetero babes dance salsa or saunter down the beach in bikinis, not butch chicks in shinguards sweating their asses off while chasing a ball down the wing like a slow 9th grade guy.

Is that wrong or mean? I don't care. Competitive sports are an agressive, testosterone kinda thing. So you're gonna find butch broads there.... just like you find queer guys who hold teddy bears and cry waiting for a French judge to give them their fixed score in figure skating.

So, how did I do? I think I just managed to insult women in general, gays, the French, figure skaters, 9th graders, and insects. Pretty good for a Monday morning! :)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Now Freddie I thought you would have been the first guy in the changing rooms to sniff their sweaty shorts.;) Well right behind me that is.
You and I know we both will be sitting in front of the TV glued to those matches waiting for that special moment Brany would tear off her shirt and hopes that she forgot to put that sports bra on,:D

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Hey, I heard this guy on local sports radio last week cracking up over a report that some ESPN dude was reading a radio promo mentioning Mia Hamm, touting a WUSA game broadcast, but the guy butchered it while reading it on the fly by saying that San Jose was playing the Miami Hamm. (He thought the "Mia" was for Miami).

Paul, I'm in that short-sniffing line with you as soon as Chakira starts playing stopper. :)

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Freddie said:
1. Women and girls should have every opportunity to play and enjoy all sports, and I think it is a great, great thing that times have changed so much that those opportunities are out there now. Good for them!

2. I would rather watch two flies fuc k, or grass grow, or paint dry, instead of watching women play sports. I want to watch hot, hetero babes dance salsa or saunter down the beach in bikinis, not butch chicks in shinguards sweating their asses off while chasing a ball down the wing like a slow 9th grade guy.

Is that wrong or mean? I don't care. Competitive sports are an agressive, testosterone kinda thing. So you're gonna find butch broads there.... just like you find queer guys who hold teddy bears and cry waiting for a French judge to give them their fixed score in figure skating.

So, how did I do? I think I just managed to insult women in general, gays, the French, figure skaters, 9th graders, and insects. Pretty good for a Monday morning! :)

:proud:

Nothing more to add. :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It better be sooner rather than later for Chakira....(Or is it Shakira).

Being of a Latin persuasion she will probably have hit the wall so hard that it fell on her and have a bigger moustache than David Seaman by the end of this season.

There you go freddie....add the ****'s to your list.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ye Olde Bigots

You guys,

Who would have thunk that some Okie in the heartlands would be more open minded than you East Coast dudes? I enjoy the women's game and think in some ways it is as good as the men's. Freddie you're right about the lack of aggression though and the lack of speed.

My 17 year old daughter made the boys high school varsity in our town and started every game for three years. Late in this season, the coaches finally gave up on the boys and started her at center-mid! What a place for a 145 girl!

What is obvious to both the coaches and me, is that even a very fast girl is pretty slow in a boy's game. She also dodges the most aggressive hits. She also does not have a natural "in your face" attitude that a center-mid needs in my opinion.

What else is obvious, is that her work ethic, her vision, her ball skills, her passes and shot, all were so good she played the position better than any of the boys that played it during the year. She is a good defender, 50-50 balls aside, she stands up the opponent and blocks shots and passes all the time. Long off-ball runs she makes over and over without complaint. In more than one game, she controlled the middle better than the other team, and this was in a 4-3-3. (Her contribution was much like Reyna's on the US Nats.) She asked for and was given no quarter. By the end of every game, opponents had respect for her as a player, not merely as a girl player. She earned her spot and earned their respect.

Admittedly, our team was not too good and the level of competition uneven. We won only one of eleven games, but two of the losses were in shoot-outs. The top teams in our district were top ranked in the state.

My post is made just to say, "I hear, ya," but I disagree to an extent. The women's game is not bad. In fact, there is often more team skill involved than in the men's game. Overall, it will never be as exciting, though. A top international man can take a shot that will knock your head off if it connects and can do stuff with the ball that is impossible for the women. A man on a women's team would always be a standout. The most the best women (even a Michelle Ackers) could achieve would be to blend in with a men's team.

Anyway, you guys make me laugh. I think an awful lot of people enjoyed watching the US Women win the last World Cup. It was fun whether or not the individual players can compare to men.

IMHO

Oldplayer

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is also possible for women to do things with a ball that a man would find impossible......

This was proved to me by a young Asian lady lying on a table in a bar in Thailand some years ago.

Admittedly this was a ping pong ball......However it would be a novel trick with a soccer ball if any of the WUSA players are looking to spark the league up a bit with some interesting juggling techniques

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
OP We are Male Prigs, and that is our God given Talent, reguardless of where we are from. The only difference is Fred D and Myself can be prigs while drinking Tea and eating scones.
Speaking for myself only I enjoyed the womens WC but the WUSA has been watered down on talent. with this we find the action boring to say the least. Yet wether it be the WUSA or the MLS, If there is a bad product then we will Critisize it. If we can be Prigs about it Even better. Do we want the WUSA to fold Hell no. DO we want the talent level to get better, Sure. If we can get to sniff some shorts in the Process Outstanding.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts