Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you want to see a Benelux league

It's been discussed in the media and by Van Raaij, but what are your opinions on it?
Might be hyperthetical btw since I'm not sure what UEFA thinks all about this.

In the long run, it must be said that we'll never be able to compete with the big boys in Europe. We are even slipping back if our European form is to count by and even big clubs like PSV have negative financial results, so what options lie?

Form a league with the Belgians? what do you think?

since it'll definitely improve the standard. Anderlecht and Brugge are no mugs as they proved in defeating PSV and Ajax in the last few seasons. Standard are probably as good as Heerenveen and RAcing Genk have a nice side too. Ajax or PSV doesn't really learn anything by playing really bad sides like Volendam or Zwolle and neither do Anderlecht with the rif raf at the bottom of the Jupiter league.

Also TV money will undoubtedly rise with a bigger contract and instead of 3 toppers, you'll have 5 with a pretty big sub top. Also the Benelux league idea is a much better one than the Atlantic league one where you'd have Norwegian and Scottish sides :eek: where fans wil have to cover huge distances week in week out.

So what would you do? get a Benelux league and get more excitement or carry on with a lot of medicrity which is our current state with sides like Volendam in the league?

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
BeNeliga (not Benelux since there will be no Luxembourg team anyway) sounds a helluva lot better than an Atlantic league. That is the most crappiest idea that ever came up in the head of Van Raaij.

Club Brugge and Anderlecht are as good as Ajax and PSV and Standard is as good or at least close to Feyenoord. Racing Genk is as good as a subtop side in Holland. Then add 4 other teams from Belgium and from Holland and you could have a nice league. So the idea in principle is ok but still, I am against it. We live in Holland, we are used to playing teams like NEC, Volendam and even Stormvogels/Telstar if ya wish ( :D ). It has always been like that and I actually don't want it to chance to be honest.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
At least for the feeling a Beneliga sounds a lot better than an Atlantic one. That would also bring in the problem of the Scandinavian leagues who can't play during the winter and the fact that you won't have that many awayfans, since the distances would be to big. Local mayors would perhaps be happy with that, cause it would mean less policemen needed, but the disadvantage of the fans not being there would be bigger.

Only that;s not what you wanted to know. I think we'll benefit more from the toughercompetition rather than the televisionmoney cause in Holland they pay a lot more for the rights than in Belgium. Still it's a feeling in me that says no. In someway the games against the likes of Zwolle, Volendam are still enjoyable.

I've also heared some discussions in the past about a Bene-cup, something you could start with, but i fear that would end as a sort of leaguecup. You can see that in other countries that they takes cups not that serious.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I would love it, Ive said it maney times on here, but Ill say again, the rivalry would certainly make wathing the summaries a lot more enjoyable. There isn't much money in it, but I don't see any disavantages. And I don't like crappy clubs like Volendam who come to the Arena to get hammered by 7-0 or something. Survival of the fittest I'd say and in a Beneliga hopefully no place for them.

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
I'm not sure which match you saw this year, but Ajax beat Volendam 5-1, not 7-0 :)
But I understand where your'e coming from, and I do believe it will make both the Dutch and Belgian leagues more competitve when for instance, their best nine, or eight teams, over the past 4-5 seasons merge into competition.

The KNVB and the Belgian FA will have to be absolutely sure about who they will include, and who they will drop, Roda or NEC? Willem II or NAC? one year one of the two might be doing well and be a consistent linkerrijtje team, and the next year the other is making headlines. So this will be a huge task, espescially psychologly for the decision-makers and such, and there will ALWAYS be teams/boards/fans that will be both sad AND furious at not being included in the final competition line-up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
does it worth it? for 2 belgian teams? because i don't think we can include more than 2 and not increase that mediocrity you're talking about..i prefer a pure dutch league because it's entertaining :D, fast & dinamic..that's what i see when i watch the games (i mostly watch ajax so..:tongue: :D ) but if you say it's mediocre..i don't think so but you're closer than me and you can watch a lot more games than i actually do..

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think a benelux league would not be bad for a couple of teams. I would like to go to anderlecht ajax and ajax standard luik.

:)

V

·
0 Posts
I think this would be great, the Beneliga is then from the same
level as the Bundesliga and the Ligue 1.

Teams like Club Brugge, Anderlecht, Standard Luik, RC Genk, Excelsior Moeskroen, Lierse SK, Sint Truiden are making a competition with Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, AZ, Heerenveen, Roda JC (then maybe FC Limburg), FC Utrecht, FC Twente, NEC, NAC and Vitesse a lot more interesting.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
FC Limburg should come definitely. It would make the Eredivisie more interesting for sure.

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
In my mind fusing Roda JC with the best players of VVV and Fortuna Sittard isn't going to make the so-called "FC Limburg" a much stronger side than Roda JC is currently.

I think most fans from each club are also against a merging of the three teams, kind of like they'll lose their identity and will have to share it with two others.
If I was a die-hard Fortuna fan, I probably would rather go down fighting as a club that lives in my heart, then survive as somebody I am not.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
It is not about the strenght of the team. Of course Roda is the only quality team in Limburg, but it is about the potential of FC Limburg compared to the potential of Fortuna, MVV and VVV alone. 4 clubs in a not so big region is far too much imo.

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
FC Limburg shouldn't happen, its like taking Erreala, Athletic and Osasuna and making one club out of it to compete with Real Madrid. What about tradition and the most importantly the fans who are in fact the real 'owners' of the club.

On the league, no doubt it would increase quality but I can see a few downsides to it as well. First off a lot of new supporter violence flaring up as Belgium isn't as prepared as Holland and there are certain friendships which warrant rivalries among the big guns. The effort teams like AZ, RKC, NEC have put in teams that've become pretty respectable and are achieving as well as they realistically can will parrish and in turn we'd lose derbies like NEC-Vitesse, the Northern derbies, no chance for a Sparta-Feyenoord as Sparta would have to work itself up 2 divisions to play their neighbours. A lot of tradition lost and to be honest I enjoy the Dutch league too much to give it all up for some more quality. My 2 cents.

V

·
0 Posts
I think it would happen in a couple of years, because it;'s the only way to survive for clbs like VVV, Fortune Sittard and MVV. When it don't happen only Roda JC will survive.

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
Quite often financial mis-management is the cause of clubs now struggling to survive. If that's the case with MVV, VVV, Fortuna etc then they should face the consequences of their own actions, and not be saved with something called FC Limburg, which might be suited to all the top-dogs of the clubs, but the fans are all against it.

A merging with the Belgian competition will see new and exciting rivalries and derby's. I would get more excited to see Feyenoord - Club Brugge than Feyenoord - Sparta, and I'm sure many Feyenoord fans would agree, coz this match is totally predictable.
It's not going to be anything like Arsenal - Chelsea or something similar.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Fúck the tradition. If we maintain the Beneliga long enough, new traditions will arise. New derbies, new rivalries, like Sparta vs Feyenoord ever was interesting... And I dissagree with what you say Bazman. Look at the history of RC Genk they are a fusionside and look how that worked out. It should be given a chance. And the level will surely increase once we have a Beneliga, not dramatically but still. The benefits surely outweight the costs imo.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Drulo said:
FC Limburg shouldn't happen, its like taking Erreala, Athletic and Osasuna and making one club out of it to compete with Real Madrid. What about tradition and the most importantly the fans who are in fact the real 'owners' of the club.
It is completely different imo. The Basque country is a pretty big nation, while Limburg is just a province of Holland. Holland is much smaller than Spain, while the Basque country is also bigger than Limburg (in verhouding that is). Also, the 'achterland' is too small for 4 teams in Limburg. There is not even enough talent walking around to scout.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts