• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2you take Alan Smith to Euro 2004?

A Simple question really.

I can see Sven taking Smith to portugal this year and i hope he does. He's a brilliant player and would give us extra options upfront. I've been impressed with him this season, he hasn't put in a bad performance all season and seems to be the only player at Elland road putting in any real effort, what makes it even more praise worthy is that he has been played out of position for much of the season. Hopefully if he becomes a regular England striker we'll see more of this http://alansmith.sporthk.net/foto/smithy1102.jpg - no not two men trying to kiss each other but celebrations of goals!. With Smith your guaranteed goals, he's got a great engine and is similiar to Beckham in that respect.

Now his agression is constantly questioned and for good reason, he has already received a red card
in an England shirt but i think it's about time Sven told him his England career could be on the line if he gets in to any more trouble.

As big of a reliability that he is, i still think he's worth the risk, who knows maybe the experience of Euro 2004 could turn him into a better and more responsible player.

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
I'd definitely take him too. IMO he's Englands 3rd most talented striker after Owen and Rooney. As Russ said, he always gives 100% effort and he's a better goalscorer than Heskey given his chance.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
No. We have enough players who can work hard so I would rather take someone with a bit of quality - like Joe Cole.

I also think that if he tried the running round like a headless chicken on steroids approach (as he does at Leeds) then he'd end up a very tired boy - international football is different to the Premiership.

And that's without mentioning his discipline problem, and his lack of goals.

M

·
0 Posts
I'd take him to the tournament and have him as first choice partner for St. Mike.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Not while he's at Leeds. (sorry).

He is obviously talented and works his socks off. But I'd want to see him work under another coach (Ferguson as an example) someone who could make his aggresion a positive factor rather than negative. Until then, he's a talent that could always affect the team negatively with his discipline.

A transfer to the Red Devil's would create a worthy player though IMO.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Alan Smith is 110% class! The only reason he gets into trouble is because of his massive passion for both club and country. I don't know why there is even a question of it, Smith belongs on the England squad. He is a top class plsyer and with the right squad he will win England the tournament. Maybe with some help from Beckham and Robinson... ;)

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
I've always said Smith should be in the team never mind the squad, i think he's gotta go, and lets see him in some of these freindlies coming up.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mutu1875 said:
No. We have enough players who can work hard so I would rather take someone with a bit of quality - like Joe Cole.

I also think that if he tried the running round like a headless chicken on steroids approach (as he does at Leeds) then he'd end up a very tired boy - international football is different to the Premiership.

And that's without mentioning his discipline problem, and his lack of goals.
Smith does alot of hard work for Leeds but only because he has to, he's surrounded by mediocrity. In the England team it is not the same, he would not be burdened with so many tasks and jobs.

His lack of goals this season is because he's been played in midfield as a 'ball winner' for much of the season, that's no fault of his own. You may well point out his goal ratio for last season ( you already did :tongue: ) but that really is inconsequential. The fact is Smith has proven he can score at all levels and has a willingness for goal.

In the up and coming friendlies i'd like to see Eriksson be a little more adventurous in his line up, perhaps trying

----Rooney--------
---Smith---Owen

This would suit us better as Rooney is far better at running at players and he's also got good vision to put in through balls., he can also score the odd goal too :cool: . With Smith upfront we would not rely on Owen for the goals so much.

Personally i would not take Beattie, not just because he has proven very little when he has played (unlike smith) but also for a tatical reason. I've noticed Beattie is far more comfortable receiving the ball when it is launched at him, if were going to play 90mins of football in portugal and not get tired we need to avoid those tatics and keep hold of possession for as long as possible. Remember the last world cup? our players were knackered after 45mins due to the heat because we were always chasing the ball.

His discipline is a problem but as i stated before a talent like him is well worth the risk.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Yeah, I'd take smith ahead of Beattie. We need a forward who's going to chase down classy defenders and give them no time on the ball. Heskey does this to some extent, but he blows too hot and cold, still think he'll make the squad though.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Russell said:
Smith does alot of hard work for Leeds but only because he has to, he's surrounded by mediocrity. In the England team it is not the same, he would not be burdened with so many tasks and jobs.
I think that's exactly why he stands out - because he is trying to play every position on the pitch. As you point out he is playing the ball winners role in the Leeds midfield at the moment - so why pick him for the England squad and then play him as an attacking midfielder or striker, when the reason he is being noticed is because of his role as a ball winner??

Owen - Smith - Rooney is far too lightweight anyway. It's nice to think that we can conquer any team in the world by playing attractive football along the ground, but if we come up against a well organised defence and midfield (let's say against France in Euro 2004 for instance ;)) we need another option. With Vieria and Makelele, Rooney just won't have any time or space to play these through balls from behind the strikers. Which is why we must take either big Em or James Beattie - it would be suicidal not to.

About the goals, I don't think Smith would be particullarly effective on that front, seeing as his career goals to apps ratio is actually worse than Emile Heskey's. And yes, Smith is being played out of position currently, but I believe Heskey has been played on the left by Liverpool in the past.

Then there is the discipline...I wouldn't fancy having a team with Rooney, Smith and Gerrard all starting.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
mutu1875 said:
I think that's exactly why he stands out - because he is trying to play every position on the pitch. As you point out he is playing the ball winners role in the Leeds midfield at the moment - so why pick him for the England squad and then play him as an attacking midfielder or striker, when the reason he is being noticed is because of his role as a ball winner??

Owen - Smith - Rooney is far too lightweight anyway. It's nice to think that we can conquer any team in the world by playing attractive football along the ground, but if we come up against a well organised defence and midfield (let's say against France in Euro 2004 for instance ;)) we need another option. With Vieria and Makelele, Rooney just won't have any time or space to play these through balls from behind the strikers. Which is why we must take either big Em or James Beattie - it would be suicidal not to.

About the goals, I don't think Smith would be particullarly effective on that front, seeing as his career goals to apps ratio is actually worse than Emile Heskey's. And yes, Smith is being played out of position currently, but I believe Heskey has been played on the left by Liverpool in the past.

Then there is the discipline...I wouldn't fancy having a team with Rooney, Smith and Gerrard all starting.
1. Your right but i did state he is a Natural goalscorer who has impressed me in midfield and upfront, he's a talented lad as proven by his versatility. I don't think the passion and zest with which he plays the game should be snubbed at, aggression and assertion is a large part of his game but the same can be said for Beckham and Gerrard, arguably two of our most important players. Take this away from either and you don't have the same player any more.

I don't agree at all, why can't we play the ball on the ground? our players are more technically gifted than most of the continent give them credit for. All i'm saying is that if we are going to win this tournament we need to play in the right way and that is not hoofing the ball up to Beattie or Heskey every minute. There are more ways to break down a strong defence than to play the ball into space and hope micky runs onto it. All i'm saying is that if we play with a target man we'll surrender possession often and be chasing for the ball in possibly very hot conditions. Owen-Rooney-Smith does seem a lightweight combination, this is true as i dont think any of them are over 5ft 10" which is below average. But as i said there is more than one way to play the game.

So your saying you'd trust Emile Heskey to put the ball into the back of the net over Smith?

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I would Russell. Heskey has banged in 7 this season, whilst Smith 5. Couple this with the fact that Alan Smith grabbed an enormous 1 premiership goal last season compared to Heskey who at least managed a dignified 5 in the premieship, and 9 in all competitions. Smith got 4 in one match in the UEFA Cup last season, which were his last goals of the campaign giving him a total of 5. So over the past two seasons it reads Heskey 16 - Smith 10.

Also Heskey gives us something differnet up front. He can bring it down well and win the headers, which neither Smith nor Owen can do well. Smith is too small and skinny to hold it up, and when Heskey doesn't play it is harder for the midfield to get up and join attacks. I do believe that Heskey would be better for us, but why not take smith really? We lack cover there. Smith is tempremental[sp?] and has been sent off for England already this season. He has blown a fuse several times this season but not been sent off, and continental refs are a bit card happy, but that isn't a major concern for smith as leeds won'y be facing many refs on the continent in the near future :tongue:

Anyway, why not take Robbie Fowler? Hes banging them in now :D

Seriously though my 5 for 2004 would be Owen, Rooney, Beattie, Heskey and Smith. I think i am the only one who thinks that Vassell is the footballing equivalent to a turd. 3 goals this season, guaranteed in hte England squad but Beattie is overlooked? strange eh? Seems some are guaranteed their place no matter how well they perform for England (Neville, Cole, Scholes, Vassell, Upson), whilst others who are capable are overlooked (Bridge, Terry[for most matches prior Riogate], Southgate, Mills, Beattie, J. Cole).

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
The problem is lad's, the amount of talent that Alan has to work with at Leeds. And after all our sales and problems, I think Alan has done really well in trying to carry the team. Alan Smith is never off form, if he is not scoring goals he is setting them up or pushing forward. He even comes up to defend. He put's in 110% and he works harder than any premership player that I have ever seen. You put him in the England squad and he will do aswell as the best player on the team if not better. That's my opinion anyway!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
He most definitely belongs in the squad, he'd be the perfect foil for Owen.

Green One, Heskey only has more goals than Smith this season because he plays on a better team and Smith plays midfield alot.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Owen, Heskey, Smith, and Rooney, surely we'll be taking four strikers:confused: some of you are going on like only 3 will be going.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts