Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gerard ends his contract next June. Would you renew him? Obviously, it would not be with the same terms of his current contract. We paid a stupid amount of money for him, around 25 million € and he could leave for free. Do you think that he could be useful for us?

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
I would only renew him if he allowed his salary to be lowered drastically. I also wouldnt use him as a dm anymore but as a sub for Xavi/Deco, that's his true position. I do believe he can have his value for the squad, but i wouldn't break my back to get him to resign. He is replacable.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I would renew him if he agrees to lower his salary.
I like his game and he is one of the few players in the squad who is good in the air.

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
I would renew his contract, cut some of his salery, and think of taking a deal with another player, and include him in the deal.
he is a good player, yet he lost a lot of his form in the past 2 years, do to injuries, and the stupid time of van "stupid" gaal!! so I don't think he'll be back to his great form, yet he can be useful as a sub, for Deco, Xavi or even as DM sometime, if we have to give our players some rest.

so, I'll go with a yes, but if.. :D

Visca el Barca :strong:

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
if he accepts a big cut in his salary then i would give him a contract.
the problems is that he's very prone injury consequnrly it doesn't help to him play regularly and at his best level.
Gerard needs to prove his worth because he didn't show anything since his move from Valencia and it's timefor him to give something for Barca
in brief,he would a good back-up for the midfield in general(coz he can play as DM or CM) so i'm for his renewal.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Why would Ryjkaard trust in a player that has not done anything?

I wouldn't mind if he went.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Politician said:
Why would Ryjkaard trust in a player that has not done anything?

I wouldn't mind if he went.
Well, you need back ups too. A signing costs the transfer plus the salary, in Gerard's case, we should not pay a transfer.

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Well, you need back ups too. A signing costs the transfer plus the salary, in Gerard's case, we should not pay a transfer.
:thmbup: and he's a Barça youth product so he kinda belongs at this club imo, just like Puyol/Gabri/Xavi etc. I think he should be given the opportunity to replace a tired Xavi/Deco more often. I'm convinced he will show his class when given the chance at his real position.

OT: K4, what's up with your signature man? please change it because everytime i see it i get that stupid song in my head :D

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stygmata said:
OT: K4, what's up with your signature man? please change it because everytime i see it i get that stupid song in my head :D
LOL:D Hey... the problem is that I can only write 500 characters. I've missed the second part of the song: papapapapa...papa ah mama papa ah mamama... papa ah mama papa ah mamama... papa ah mama papa ah mamama...papa ah mama papa ah mamama... :D

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Gerard was a flash in the pan with Valencia, he score a hattrick against Lazio, and everyone was after him. Gaspart was to rash, and exercised the Buy-Back option that we had on Gerard. So far he has been a huge flop, the only good moment i remeber of him is scoring the winning goal against Valenica in the Mestalla last year, and scoring the winning goal against Lyon (i think) in the Champions League. Other than that, he is injured too often, and his performance level doesn't match his salary.

I don't even think he is a utility player. He is a lost soul on the pitch, you never know if he going to play in a defensive role or offensive one. I remember when Van Gaal palyed him as a CB for a while. Although we paid around 25 million euros for him, it is a thing of the past, he is part of Gaspart's shadow, and personally I wouldn't extend his contract.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Koeman4 said:
LOL:D Hey... the problem is that I can only write 500 characters. I've missed the second part of the song: papapapapa...papa ah mama papa ah mamama... papa ah mama papa ah mamama... papa ah mama papa ah mamama...papa ah mama papa ah mamama... :D
Bird Is The Word = Awesome :D

On subject, I would let Gerard go. He doesn't offer anything special, everything he offers, several other people can do at LEAST as well. Even though we are improving financially, we still have to look out for our expenditure. He would be within his rights to ask for a similar wage if we offered him a contract, but I wouldn't even THINK about signing him up unless he takes a HUGE paycut. I can't imagine why anyone would give him the sort of wage he gets now, so there's no point in signing him in my opinion.

Next season, Motta and Edmilson will be fit, as well as Xavi, Deco and Iniesta. Even saying we don't sign anyone, we don't need him.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
Bird Is The Word = Awesome :D

On subject, I would let Gerard go. He doesn't offer anything special, everything he offers, several other people can do at LEAST as well. Even though we are improving financially, we still have to look out for our expenditure. He would be within his rights to ask for a similar wage if we offered him a contract, but I wouldn't even THINK about signing him up unless he takes a HUGE paycut. I can't imagine why anyone would give him the sort of wage he gets now, so there's no point in signing him in my opinion.

Next season, Motta and Edmilson will be fit, as well as Xavi, Deco and Iniesta. Even saying we don't sign anyone, we don't need him.
I agree. We have those 5 you mention, and apart from that we also have Gabri, and Marquez (who I like better in the midfield, we should sign a great CD for next season). Albertini might impress alot and be given an extended deal, and Rochemback could perhaps be an option (although I really doubt that).

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
I wouldn't want him back at his present salary (obviously). I also don't see any other clubs willing to take him for that amount. If he's smart, he would drop his salary to stay at Barça, because as a free agent, he wouldn't make any more than a very reduced wage at another club (which would likely be a much smaller club with less chances of winning titles.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I don't think Gerard can offer us much. Even as a back-up, he is far too injury prone and lacks match fitness. I'm sure somebody from the Barcelona B team can take his place.

I think it would be a good idea for Gerard to sign with a mid-table Spanish club. This way he can return to his old form in a league he is familiar in.

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=34&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=188135&idseccio_PK=637&h=

This article says that Fiorentina are interested in signing him. I think Serie A is the last place Gerard should go to.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
There are a number of factors involved with this one. First and foremost for me is his wage. It's funny how he's supposedly on huge wages yet I never see anyone post them. Anyway, I'm sure he is on a big wage and he does need to take a huge cut if he wants to stay.

I do see a place in the side for Gerard though should he take the appropriate wage cut. I laugh when people want to dump him but somehow put Gabri into a different category. If you don't think Gerard is good enough, then neither is Gabri and probably 2-3 others just off the top of my head. Anyway, I could see Gerard backing up Xavi/Deco if needed though Iniesta would be ahead of him in that pecking order. IMO Gerard looked as good as Edmilson as a DM, but then that's a position I think we could reinforce.

I think a lot depends on who we bring in this summer and if Gerard wants to stay. Gerard wouldn't be foolish if he left for first team opportunities. IMO Serie A isn't the answer, but I could see him making a number of sides in La Liga and possibly earning more.

I personally would like to see him stay. He's versatile and valuable squad member. IMO he's never been able to string any reasonable string of games together (due to injury and selection) in order to show us what he's got. ALTHOUGH, if letting Gerard go meant more money to keep either Riquelme or Saviola, then buh bye to Gerard.

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
How many times do I have to tell you man???

LEAVE GABRI ALONE!!! :fero: :dielaugh:

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
zyad said:
How many times do I have to tell you man???

LEAVE GABRI ALONE!!! :fero: :dielaugh:
I wasn't referring to you, but I'll gladly lump you into that "fondling" category! :tongue:

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
Well, I don't blame you... I wouldn't be surprised if my fondling reputation has reached as far as Milwaukee! I am indeed a great fondler... I am very fond of fondling...

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
zyad said:
Well, I don't blame you... I wouldn't be surprised if my fondling reputation has reached as far as Milwaukee! I am indeed a great fondler... I am very fond of fondling...
Me too dude. I just told some chick I wouldn't mind fondling her, but she said not here at the bar. WTF? :D So I said do you want to fondle me? My mates call me Golden Balls. I then gave her a Ronaldinho smile and she was all over me, it. :thmbup:

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
ok, let's take a look at our squad then:

DM: Edmilson, Motta, Marquez
CM: Xavi, Deco, Gerard, Albertini
AMR: Giuly, Iniesta,
AML: Ronaldinho, Messi

So i do see some space for him. Given the fact that Albertini will probably not be with us anymore next season and i have a feeling he will be replaced with Riquelme, I do see space for Gerard. Only as a backup, but that's what he is right now. So keeping Gerard would mean that we don't have to buy a backup and since he's a Barcelonista like Puyol, Gabri & Xavi i'd really want him to stay because he represents a little bit of the culture. And i have a feeling he'll come back to form when played in his real position (CM). But right now Iniesta is played as an AMR while in real life he is a CM offcourse. So it'll depend if he moves back to midfield next season.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts