Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, there are 16 teams in the Greek leauge. Some might say that there is too little competition in the league. Others would probably say the competition in class is far too little for the league to extend. Personally I think all top divisions should have a minimum of 18 teams in a league. This extends more practice and adds to the competition.

Would you like to see an extension to the Greek League A?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Christos7 said:
No.

Maybe even shorten it.....

At least kick out all the "minnow" Athenian teams. Bring teams like Larisa back.
They need to earn it back. The league is fine as it is.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Personally I think all top divisions should have a minimum of 18 teams in a league.
That is ridicilious, since not all countries have the quality amongst clubs to implement this. For example, the Yugoslavian (Serbia-Montenegro) league suffered in terms of quality when it was expanded from 12 to 18 (even one season 21) teams, and when it was cut back to 16 the competitiveness improved a bit. Similar to the Croatian league which went down when it was expanded from 18 to 12 but improved when it was cut back to 12, etc. Generally cutting numbers of teams improves the quality of the teams in the top flight.

As for minnow Athenian teams, leave Egaleo alone for now because they did us a big favour today :thmbup: :D

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
The league is fine as it is.

While me too would like to see less teams from Athens with an average attendance of 300 in the top division, other teams need to earn their place there.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many Athens teams are there? (Forgive me, I have very little knowledge on Greek football, I'm looking to change that) :)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Well, from the general Athens area.....

Olympiakos
Panathinaikos
AEK
Panionios
Aigaleo
Halkidona
Ionikos
Kallithea

Thats 8 of a 16 team league from one city. (sure Athens is a big city, 5 million ppl, but still....) Most everyone supports one of the big 3. Some of these smaller clubs have their die hard supporters, but after the top 4 in that list they all consider 1,000 at a game a good day and play in very ameteur stadiums. They were local suberb teams started many years ago, so they do have history but in this modern game this cannot continue....

The rest of the teams:

Thessaloniki

PAOK
Aris
Iraklis
Apollon Kalamaria (just promoted)

That makes 12 teams, from two cities. The rest:

Skoda Xanthi - (Xanthi, Thrace)
Kerkyra - (the island, or 'Corfu')
OFI - (Crete)
Ergotelis - (Crete)

It pains me just to read it. We sorely miss teams like PAS Giannina (Ioannina, Epirus) and Larisa (Thessaly) and Niki Volou (Volos, Thessaly). We miss representation from Patra (Panahaiki?), Greece's 3rd largest city. The way it is set up now, is not good. But what can we do? You need to earn your spot. It just hurts not to have your biggest cities represented, and have people attend games because of regional rivalries.

The perfect league:

Athens 4

Olympiakos (Piraeus)
Panathinaikos
AEK
Panionios

Thessaloniki 3

PAOK
Aris
Iraklis

Larisa (Larisa)
Niki Volou (Volos)
PAS Giannina (Ioannina)
OFI (Crete) or Ergotelis
Panahaiki (Patra)
Kerkyra (Corfu)
Skoda Xanthi (Xanthi)
Kavala (Kavala)
Kastoria (Kastoria)

Subject to change, but these are the biggest cities, and if each city/region had a somewhat successful team, I could only imagine how awsome the Greek League would be.

Here is a map for our non-Greek friends to get an idea:

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
Kerkyra,Niki Volou and Kavala are JOKES compared to Doxa Dramas,same goes for Xanthi historically

I'd put Doxa and Serres before these anytime

·
Registered
155 Posts
Balakov10 said:
Imagine how big could be the Greek League if Asia Minor was greek like in the past
We would be talking about Greece being one of the top 5 leagues in Europe if it were like that. They would be in the same league as Germany and France. AEK would have been operating out of Constandinople as their roots come from that city. Too bad that politics work for more evil than good. :broken:

U

·
0 Posts
I need the greek alltime table and the alltime winners... Thank in advance :smileani:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Didn't Kalamata have attendance?

Larisa really must come back to the top division.
An 18-team league is much better... More games, more money, more practice. Those 4 extra games could be put at the end of august like every other country. We always start 4 games after every other league... So it should be good.

In my perfect Greek League:

Athens (3): AEK, Panathinaikos, Panionios
Pireas (1): Olympiakos
Thessaloniki (3): PAOK, Aris, Iraklis
Crete (2): OFI, Ergotelis (doing good in attendance and nice stadium)
Larisa (1): AEL Larisa
Patra (1): Panahaiki
Ioannina (1): PAS Giannina
Xanthi (1): Skoda Xanthi
Kastoria (1): Kastoria
Kalamata (1): Kalamata
Kerkyra (1): Kerkyra
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Other possibilities: Doxa Dramas, Panseirraikos, Niki Volou, Rhodos, Kavala

Imagine if we still had Cyprus at least. They have good attendance in their money strapped league...

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Personally the Greek League could do with some culling rather than an extension. A 10 team Super League style competition, with the teams playing each other four times would give a massive quality boost the league so desperately needs. I can enderstand people wanting provincial sides in the comp, but let's be realistic for a minute. Sure some clubs get five figure crowds in the second/third division, but once they get to the big one they get shitty crowds. Usually. I know there are some exceptions to the rule notably PAS & AEL, but that's it really. :(

Kerkyra,Niki Volou and Kavala are JOKES compared to Doxa Dramas,same goes for Xanthi historically
Maybe so, but Doxa haven't really been up to too much since the fifties really. Like AMO says for a club to get into the A'É8niki they have to earn it. Though'i wouldn't mind seeing Doxa, Larissa, Giannina, PAE Thraki, Kalamata, Karditsa, Kastoria and Aiolikos in there. Not as much as APO Panargeiakos of course! :party:

Imagine how big could be the Greek League if Asia Minor was greek like in the past
Firstly the Greel league never had teams from Asia Minor proper. The comopetition started in 1928 which was a couple of years after that era. Had some Cypriot sides between 1967-74 though. Best not to go there at all if you ask me. :doh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts