Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of me says (and its a pure Perez-like thought), that from a financial prespective, it wouldn't make much sense renewing his contract he if we won't reduce his wages.

But personally, i want him to stay. Figo has been a great player for us and very consistent (except when he was injured in his second season, but Perez insisted he plays as a galactico and his form suffered). He has alot of heart, not because he loves the club, but because he is a professional, and respects his "job".

So, Madridistas, what do you think?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Perez has most likely already offered him a reduced contract and Figo didnt want it.

He will be gone by the end of the season sadly. I still believe he can add something to the team, just look at last night. :(

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yes. Figo still works hard for the team and puts in better performances than the likes of say, zidane.
unfortunately, we all know what perez is like........ :nono: :rollani:

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Figo has shown us what a great professional he is
he s been for the last year and a half our best player.
Id say lets re new his contact but he need to play on the left side
of the field, so we can have Joaquin in the team next year.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Renew the contract for sure. This guy is one of a kind and still is one of if not the best winger in the world right now, i think we need to keep him

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Ivan K said:
Renew the contract for sure. This guy is one of a kind and still is one of if not the best winger in the world right now, i think we need to keep him
I really don't mind if Figo stays as long as we get Joaquin. If keeping Figo means that Joaquin won't come to Madrid, then get rid of him.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Yes!

Figo has been consistent this season and is playing some brilliant football at the moment.

The guy is world-class and proves it time and time again.

We should renew his contract to make sure he stays at the Bernabeu for another two years.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
CMBurns said:
It's amazing how one game against reserve team can change people's mind.
calcio100,

Usually I do not respond to your posts as I wish not to reduce myself to your petty level, but this is a stupid comment (yes, even for your standards).

If you have bothered to watch Real Madrid this season, you would have noticed that Figo has actually been superb all throughout Novemeber and now into December.

He is playing like we know he can, and is showing everybody that he is still the best winger in the World on his day.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Mendieta said:
If keeping Figo means that Joaquin won't come to Madrid, then get rid of him.
Mendi, I am surprised that you still want Joaquin, he has been playing at a very poor level for over two years, with the ocassional exceptional game, but its more than incosistency, he has been terribly disppoiting.

About Figo, as Alter Ego has said, he has shown that he cares, one of the few, but Perez won't do it. He wants another galactico, he has to add one a year and someone has to go.

Madridistas should be more concerned about the fact that Casillas has not renewed his contract and there are no indications that anything is being done.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I really feel joaquin's indifferent performances over the last 1 and a half seasons is due to him not being able to land that big contract at a big club. I feel if he gets that, he will be back to his best. Right now, the boy looks a bit disillusioned.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Like most of you, I have strong feelings about this whole matter, as much as I crave and covet the probability of seeing Joaquin wearing the white shirt (he has admitted many times it is his dream to do so, giving unambiguous signs to Perez to sign him), Luis Figo is an inimitable and extraordinary player of unparalleled skill with knowledge and a breadth of technical adroitness only compared in the same breath with Zidane and other legends of previous generations (especially when he his on form), my ultimate dream would be to see him play with Joaquin (Figo on the left and Joaquin on the right), both switching wings to employ diversity of style and then fully retire as a Madridista. I think Perez should renew his contract whether it is a personal or professional choice it doesn’t matter, because it is a wise decision to persist in someone who provides a steady and consistent form to his performance rather than an off-form and on-form winger who deflates, because a winger like Figo is crucial to any team (his assist record in La Liga is enough to demonstrate why).

P.S. barça is absolutely right to say we must be particularly attentive about Casillas’s predicament, because I couldn’t sleep well ever since I heard about this whole Buffon baloney :irritate:, hopefully this whole thing is not true and hope Perez renews both Figo an Casillas’s contracts.

El Mariachi says: "Hala Madrid!"

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I'm barcelonista and you may think that I'm biased, but anyway... I think that the best Figo is gone for good. Yes, he always gives the 100%, his attitude is always good, but I think that it would be a mistake to renew him.

Of course, if Zidane and RC renewed, why not Figo? Actually, he would deserve it much more, but Figo only can decline, not improve. His contract is huge and he won't accept a pay-cut. He wants 3 years and it would be too much IMO.

Real Madrid can make a lot of money with a transfer right now and you could get a younger "galactico". This issue reminds me the year 2000, when Barcelona renewed Rivaldo and I think that it was a big mistake. Yes, Rivaldo still did some memorable games, but it wasn't the same... finally, we gave him for free to Milan just to avoid paying his salary.

I think that Madrid could regret an extension... but as you can guess, I don't care at all. Renew him! :D

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
For me he's Real's most important player right now.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
CMBurns said:
It's amazing how one game against reserve team can change people's mind.
It's amazing how this post reeks of ignorance and stupidity to the highest form. :thmbup:

If you've seen him this year, he's arguably Madrid's best player and most consistent. Zidane has shown inconsistency, Beckham only has a right foot, and all the others have moments of brilliance and/or lack thereof.

Mr. Figo ain't bitching, plays consistent, and wears the logo of Madrid on his heart. :stuckup:

I hope he stays and his contract extension is more deserving than any other galatico right now.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Flo said:
I hope he stays and his contract extension is more deserving than any other galatico right now.
And this is the reason why he won't get it, Floro has never done anything for deserving people;)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
If not, we love aged players here in Milan :stuckup: With Maldini&Co, actually he would be one of the youngest :star:

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Diavolo said:
If not, we love aged players here in Milan :stuckup: With Maldini&Co, actually he would be one of the youngest :star:
I wouldn't mind if he became a Milanista either. :D

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
The problem with this is that if Figo dropped to become a mediocre performer, which is very possible within the ages of 33-36 (how old he'd be during the extension), then there would be an unbelievable call for him to be benched or sold by the very same fans who ask for his extension right now. Then, the moment he is shipped out, management will be accused of treating him unfairly.

Am I drawing this scenario out of thin air? Heck no, just look at the recent saga of Hierro. The same thing will happen, although probably to a lesser degree, with Figo.

Fans are inherently like this so a decision on Figo will have to be done with a calculating mindset. And when you weigh things objectively, the smart money really is with releasing Figo.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
If RC and zidan got it, why not figo? after all, he deserved it much more then they are.
on the other hand, perez already knows he made a mistake with zidan, he will not give figo 3 years. if he can give him 1 year and figo wants - then he should do it.
i doubt perez will do anything, he will for sure sell him.

barça said:
Madridistas should be more concerned about the fact that Casillas has not renewed his contract and there are no indications that anything is being done.
you hit it right on the spot and i can only speak for myself, but i do fear this much more.
this is unrelated to this thread, but casillas have made remarks about playing in the EPL for some time now. his agent will squeeze perez for everything and perez (i fear) will only get annoyed and sell casillas.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts