Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you guys ever accept any of the guys who left us during the relegation period? I personally would never but I have a friend who said he would only accept Fabio. What would you guys do?

·
Administrator
53,562 Posts
I wouldnt accept them because hardly any of them are good enough for us and they are too old. But I wouldnt say no to them because of some nonsensical traitor notion. It would be awkward if they were back, but I wouldnt be some emo calling them traitor this or that, no basis for that.

It was just so that the circumstances was so unique and unrelenting that there was hardly any other choice but to part ways. And the clubs involvement in being prudent financially and forcing some of them out, are hardly pointed out enough.

Oh I redirect from what I said earlier, Mutu is defenitely one which it would neither be awkward if he came back, or is too old, and defenitely more then twice good enough.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
what always sticks with me is the fact that we kept hold of trez, del piero, nedved and buffon...4 of the higher wages, while zlatan was let go...if we "forced" trez and camo to stay, we didn't we force zlatan to as well...

osman, you're not the only one that regrets the mutu sale as every other juventino along with secco regret it...

i don't buy into the traitor talk either, but i also think that statements made by fabio about sticking with us even in C and then him leaving genuinely hurt some fans...the players made a decision to leave knowing the situation of the club, others made the decision to stay, with the same knowledge of what lay ahead...

Buffon, Del Piero, Nedved, Camoranesi, Trezeguet et al. deserve to be seen a legends for staying...

·
Administrator
53,562 Posts
Zlatan wanted to go at all costs (dont blame him, a player looks out for himself first), and was bound to even without Serie B, its his prerogative, wont call him a traitor or anything, but he conducted himself in a very unprofessional and immature way while leaving (just as he did while leaving Ajax). So deserves stick for that.

Canna IMO is the only one who deserves real stick, I wouldnt say hurt, but I found his two-facedness highly bullshit crap. The rest kept quiet and just let it happen (even those who stayed, they werent sure they would stay, so they kept quiet). But he was going on this or that of how loyal he is and how he will stick with the fans blabla, just mere day before he left.

If he had just shut up, I would have no qualms, but he is the only who has some traitor material to work with. He outright greased and lied to the fans for no reason other then to make himself look good just before ditching them.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
We've moved on, actually very few of the guys who jumped shipped have succeeded after leaving, save Zlatan (who has still disappointed in some big games) and Mutu (who's still at a smaller club). Equally few are good enough to play for us at this moment.

With hindsight, we didn't do too badly on the balance of who went and stayed.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
I think Mutu probably left because during the season he had no starter spot and played most games out of position and looked for his former Parma coach who he had the best seasons with... plus he's the biggest necessity for Romania (idol for the youth etc.)

I still hope that he's grateful for what Juve has done for him during the darkest period of his career :thumbsup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't consider any of them a traitor.
To be honest, I wouldn't know whom of the players, that left during or due to the relegation, I actually would like to see back at Juve...
Not Canna, not Zlatan, not even Zambro who still is one of my all-time-favourites.
I don't really want to comment about the Mutu-Situation, as it makes me sick to see him play like that for la Viola merda.

As the players moved on, so have I and a great part of the Juve-Supporters.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
I don't really want to comment about the Mutu-Situation, as it makes me sick to see him play like that for la Viola merda.
Hätte Fabio gwusst, wie man ihn einsetzt, wär er viell. eh noch bei euch ;)

·
Premium Member
40,304 Posts
but of course i don`t consider zambrotta as a traitor :nono: .
i think he left the the team while they didn`t make any pressing to keep him like Buffon or Camo .. etc .

didn`t they ?

·
Registered
34,484 Posts
Its a difficult topic. Obviously we can label all who left as traitors, but we have to understand that beside going to b( missing CL football), all players would have gotten a pay cut.
Then there is the age issue. Although i got to say, Thuram who was vice-captain should have done better (aka i am not young, but i have been captain here and respected here /but he was one of the first to leave and made some unpleasent comments) Obviously dont know if he had leadership skills in the dressing rooms, but they dont give captain armbands for nothing.

Then again if all this scandal came for players as a surprise. Its just that thuram was here longer then others (excluding zambrotta).
I dont really blame Mutu, he wasnt having good time here when he was here anyway, (grazie Don Fabio).
Never was a fan of Emerson and Vieira wasnt that superb.
----------
So conclusion is that although we suffered a lot, we have done some reinforcements. Instead of oldys like emerson and vieira, now we have sissoko. We are in 3rd spot, looking good for CL, so some quality players could join us this summer who are younger then those who left.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
As others have mentioned, I don't think we should judge them all equally.

To begin with, let's be honest, we did want to lose Thuram sooner or later. He was aging and his high salary was a burden. I don't think anyone would regret that today. I would say the same for Vieira and definitely Emerson.

Cannavaro and Zambrotta are in a whole different class, older-but-possibly-still-useful. Even there, there are grave doubts about their performance since they left. No doubt we could sure use the old Zambrotta in the back line, but he's not looking much like his old self now, and how do we know Ranieri could restore him? Cannavaro has considerably more stature and could probably return to his old role, but he's 34 and we should be looking to the future.

Now the Mutu discussion is completely moot from my perspective. The fact is that we just can't accommodate him. Not then, not now. Yes, it's "sad" that we had to give up a player who's that good, but look at what he's doing now, he's a team leader. With us he was a bit part player out on the wing. Sure, we could have bet on him, but that would be goodbye to Del Piero, which no one wants. So let's just admit that there was no other way out of that situation. Our new Mutu is Palladino who just said the other day that he accepts the reserve role now and even in the future. Which is not something you can ask of one of the best forwards in the league.

And Zlatan, well again either make room for him or let him go. I don't regret his departure at all as I don't think he fit into the culture anyway.

I would cautiously suggest that what happened with all the big departures was a blessing in disguise (not so with the relegation, obviously), and I say that in hindsight. Given the reality of a demotion, and given what we've seen over the past two years, those veterans who chose to stay with us were also the most motivated to tackle the new challenges. We've now seen a continuous push from the old guard to drive us forward, *they* have been the most energized and dedicated individuals, not all the new young players. So here you have a core of veterans who are leading by example, without suffering the bad attitudes of big names who don't share in the enthusiasm.

In the wider perspective, we were set for the same situation as Milan. We were well aware that our playing staff was aging and no steps were being taken to gradually rejuvenate. It was only a matter of time before we'd be stuck with too many old timers on too high contracts. The change was drastic and forced upon us, no doubt about it, but it was inevitable. The one retirement upon us right now is Nedved, but that's one player out of the whole team.

·
Registered
324 Posts
none of the are traitors, they are professionals. If they are in shape and cheap and we are in need of any of them, then yes! Bring them!

Traitor thing is for kids, this is Million dollars of business, and everyone has the right to be professional!

·
Registered
324 Posts
none of the are traitors, they are professionals. If they are in shape and cheap and we are in need of any of them, then yes! Bring them!

Traitor thing is for kids, this is Million dollars of business, and everyone has the right to be professional!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
why so? why not any longer?
based solely on age and time away from the club, if they came back after a year in the wilderness, it was just a year away, they tried another team and saw it was better here...2 years later, what for???

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Sorry but better question why would they come back after the Juventus fans slandered them after they left?

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
lol, i don't think they would care at all if the money is right.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts