Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right we all know that money does not grow on trees... welll I assume we all know this anyway...

So if we want to buy in new players we may have to sell and my idea is this:

If we sell Riise and Hamaan then we could potentially raise enough money to buy replacements and have a little left over as they are being looked at by top European clubs.

I know that we, as a big club should sell our best players but I don't think that they are irreplacable.

Don't get me wrong.... they have had great seasons but I don't think that they are our most influential players and I have come up with ready made replacements as well... look how clever I am;).

Savio could come in for Riise and Van Bommell could replace Mr Hamaan... probably wont work out this way but it does show that there are players out there who would be better (certainly in Savio's case) but cheaper than them.

IMO as long as we keep the two CD, Dudek, Owen and Gerrard then we can build our team around these... I'm not saying lets go crazy here... but I think that it should be considered selling some players even if they have been good this year for an overinflated price

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think Riise is an excellent player and he is highly rated by Spanish clubs. Maybe we could cash in on him and get Wayne Bridge. We'd make a lot of money out of that. And i am also not sure about Riise's best position. We all know hes not the best defender and IMO hes not the best at left wing. He'd probably play his best in a 5-3-2 formation and i dont think GL will be switching to that. So we could sell him.

Hamann is another matter. Van Bommell would be good as hes young so that could be a good deal. I wouldn't mind the following players leaving:

Berger - hasnt produced the goods in a while
Xavier - dont need him now
Smicer - has hardly ever produced the goods, very inconsistent
Heskey - Keane would be so much better and we've the genius Litmanen - but its not gonna happen
Riise - cash in on him and get a proper left winger
Hamann - Real might want him now they're unlikely to get Vieira

·
Registered
25 Posts
Isn't Savio the guy who plays for Real Madrid, and on the left side of midfield. If that's the case then how would playing a winger at left back be good for the team??? :confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong here!

Unless you do mean Savio on the left of midfield and Vignal/Bridge at left-back? Although I say keep Riise, that arrangement wouldn't be such a bad idea! :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
After a little bit of Hysterical laughter I've just about managed to respond.

If we sell Riise and Hamaan then we could potentially raise enough money to buy replacements and have a little left over as they are being looked at by top European clubs.==== Savio could come in for Riise and Van Bommell could replace Mr Hamaan... probably wont work out this way but it does show that there are players out there who would be better (certainly in Savio's case) but cheaper than them.
Bommel would cost about 15 million, Hamann would go for about the same so we would make a grand total of 1 million profit (at most) on that deal, why bother? If your going to do a deal at least make it worth your while otherwise it's just swapping like for like.

Savio, again would cost similar money to Riise and isn't half the player, if your happy with a player who goes down at the first oppertunity is more light weight than Smicer, isn't paticulary an outstanding player (Duff is/will be a far better player) AND your willing to sacrifice the versatility of the YOUNG Riise in exchange for the LATE TWENTIES Savio then yes the move is genius......sadly the move is ridiculous. If you believe that Savio is better than Riise then you are in need of serious help.

If you were after real replacements then you would have to look beyond Savio (Do you actually mean Solari?) and go for someone of quality, the idea is to Improve the side not keep it the same/weaken it.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I thought at the end of last season GH had about 30M+ pound to spend?

He bought Riise, Dudek, Krikland and Xavier so that would be around 14M so he should have 15M+ to spend this season, right?

So, I think Liverpool should sell Berger, Heggem, Diomede, Murphy, Xavier and probably Smicer to buy a good right midfielder, a creative and world class midfielder and a striker.

IMHO, That's all we need.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
To further quash the Van Bommel rumours.

"PSV Eindhoven stars Mark Van Bommel, Kevin Hofland, and Mateja Kezman are far less likely to move away from the Phillips Stadion in the summer, now that a unique club-set 'sell-by' deadline of May 1 has passed without any concrete offers for either one of the trio.
All three of the players have been repeatedly linked to a whole host of Europe's top-clubs, though surprisingly PSV only received one offer before the beginning of May – that being from Lazio for professed Premiership fan Mark van Bommel, who snubbed the fallen Italian giants in the hope that Arsenal would act on their well-known interest in him.

"Besides Lazio, nobody has approached us with a deal," said PSV chairman Harry van Raaij on Thursday.

"In the world of football, nothing is ever certain, but PSV will no longer talk to agents about these players," he added. It's over with all the stories, unless there are exceptional circumstances."

================================
Looks like PSV managed to strike a deal with the trio along the lines of if anyone comes in for you before the 1 May we will speak to them, but if not your with us for another season.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad that you find it so funny you arrogant git but let me just point a little something out to you... if you think that Savio and Riise would attract similar prices then you are very much mistaken...

2 years ago Savio almost made a £7 million to Chelsea and at the time he was a lot closer to the first time than he is now. He is also older but still not too old and whatsmore he will offer us something that we do not have at this moment in time... a player who can get past defenders on a regular basis...

Also Riise has a very big reputation in Spain where they like full backs who attack and would bring in big bucks (trust me it will be over the price we pay for Savio)

and of course I did not mean Solari... don't ****ing patronise me!!!

and Riise is soo good is he... then tell me how?

Yes he has scored for us this season and has a great shot but I watch every Liverpool match I can and still do not see what he does beyond this. IMO Savio is a much better left winger period.

The Van Bommell option was just my opinion on who could go for who was similar to Hamaan but also a bit better. Hamaan could be sold for a lot if we play our cards right due to the interest that other teams have shown.

I tell you what we should keep them then have a midfield with Gerrard, Hamaan and Riise.... ****ing hell I'm sorry I didn't realise that it was sooo creative... I mean we should really buy a defensive player on the right now otherwise we might score a goal once in a while...

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Easy tiger.

Firstly the aim is to strengthen the squad, selling a quality player and replacing him with a quality player (in the case of Van Bommel and Hamann) isn't strengthening. It's a needless transfer, to appease the fans. IF we were short of cash and Bommel was a serious target then I could see a point in getting rid of one of our better players, as it is we don't so if we wanted Bommel it would be in addition to Hamann not instead of.

Savio for Riise is an odd transfer, why not swap Babbel for Conceicao? If we want Savio he won't cost that much (mainly due to him being not that good) so we could buy him outright instead of having to wheel and deal.

and Riise is soo good is he... then tell me how?
Best left winger at the club for a while (lets face it we've had Leonhardsen in the past) his versatility is an invaluable asset, his late runs into the box offer an excellent attacking option, he's one of the fittest players at the club, set pieces...shall I go on?

If your going for players you do it to strengthen you don't scrimp, wheel and deal to accomodate, we don't need to. Players to improve not to make up the numbers.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
You'll also find that Riise was never a target for Real, the press said that two spanish clubs were interested and naturally people assumed Barac and Real.

Barca - Yes
Real - No

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never said that Riise was a target for Real... I just said in Spain... it's obvious that Real Madrid would not want him for the left of defence with the god Carlos and Solari alreay being there...

Also you can rule out Valencia as well IMO but the poin is that there are a lot of clubs in Spain who could spend on one player... I mean look at the price Betis paid for Denilson... now I'm not saying that the price would be similar but I'd expect £10 million for Riise at the VERY least.

Savio is not that bad... he is excellent when he plays and the glass ankles theory may mean that he is not cut for the PL but I would love to see a player like him at the pool...

I know that he is diferent to Riise but that is the point... My view is that we have the heart of the defence sorted (Dudek, Henchoz and Hyypia with Gerrard helping from midfield) and what we need now is players who can attack well... especially on the wings.

I mean look at the other top PL teams...

Arsenal = Ljunberg and Pires
Man U = Beckham and Giggs
Newcastle = Solano and Robert

I just think that if we get the quality that the above teams have then next years could be ours and I believe that the only way we can afford to splash out on the players that we want is to sell some top (ish) player(s)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
We actually have far more money than we realise.

Last year it was said that we had 25 million to spend, take away Dudek, Riise and Kirkland leaves us with about 5 million, add to that 20 million raised from three cups, 20 million from Granada, 11 from Fowler, 20 Million from the QF of the CL not to mention the TV money which is usually eaten up by Wages. Houllier has said that he won't be cuffed in his spending, if he wants it it's there as has always been the case.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If this is the case then we need not sell them and that would be ideal... but Riise would still be on my bench:tongue:

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Still, Liverpool need to sell some players to balace the book. Imagine having a bunch of players doing nothing or just warm up the bench and still get paid?

Riise is the only player that started all the games for Liverpool (correct me if I am wrong), this shows us how fit he is and he is good on the left side.

I don't think Liverpool should ask him to be a sub or sell him. Players that should be sold should be:
Berger
Heggem
Murphy
Xavier and/or Smicer

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that the point with us selling the players all depends upon how much money we need...

If we want to get a big player or two which I think we should then we may need to sell big as the problem is that players like Smicer, Berger, Xavier, Heggem or even Murphy will not raise that much money...

If we do have shed loads then that is better as we can use that money and sell fringe players to buy in world class players...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts