Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liverpool began the first sponsorship with Hitachi and it then became a phenomenon however do you think that having a sponsor on your teams kit makes it less special especially if it's a foreign company who does'nt concern your team.

barcelona's kit does seem unique due to the fact they remain sponsorless and follow the individualistic idea of the catalonia state.

would you rather your team be sponsored or sponsorless.

IMO liverpool my team would be better off just bearing the red and the liverbird instead of some beer company.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I think anyone would want their team not to have a sponsor but money talks now and if you don't have one you are just disadvantaging your team.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
arfy05 said:
point taken its a valid point.

however i was talking about european clubs in general cause most of them could cope without sponsors.
Yes but it would hurt them alot in terms of being able to buy players, offer contracts.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Not us at Arsenal, we'd be completely stuffed if we didn't have Emirates coming on board. As much as I dislike having a sponsor on there it's something I'm used to seeing and having on my replica kits.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you speak the truth jern but as an arsenal supporter dont you feel screwed by your club that a club of over a 100 years with tradition one of the biggest in england seel there stadium name to a sponsor. does that not go beyond the realms of acceptance.
theres a limit but my point is now that teams are just takin da pi**

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think arsenal could have sorted sponsors out easily as there guranteed champs league year in year out but that don't mean they have to go give there stadium name away.

possible scenario after the emirates deal what do you call the stadium and will it be accepted by disheartened supporters. the feeling of a home is lost.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Atletico Bilbao has no sponsor, if i'm not wrong

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
arfy05 said:
you speak the truth jern but as an arsenal supporter dont you feel screwed by your club that a club of over a 100 years with tradition one of the biggest in england seel there stadium name to a sponsor. does that not go beyond the realms of acceptance.
Unfortunately if we didn't have the money from Emirates there's a good chance we'd fall a long way back in the table. We simply can't compete with the rest of them while paying off 400m on our own. The club NEED the money from Emirates to pay it off. Nobody likes it but for the long term future of the club I, and many others, accept the paper name.

I would hate to see us hit financially difficulty if we turned down Emirates over a corporate name. The stadium will always be "Ashburton Grove" or just "the Arsenal" to those who count, anyone can live with "Emirates Stadium" for 15 years if it means you win trophies. Unfortunately.

·
63,337 Posts
arfy05 said:
theres a limit but my point is now that teams are just takin da pi**
it only takes one unfortunately, then others will have to follow, even Liverpool look to be goind down that road now as £100m is too much to turn down.

seeing as we may not have even got the stadium built if we hadn't sold the naming rights then just this can change us from a wannabee to a member of Euro's elite.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
seeing as we may not have even got the stadium built if we hadn't sold the naming rights then just this can change us from a wannabee to a member of Euro's elite.
Exactly it ... it just wouldn't have been possible for us to fund both on our own - we have money and always have, but not that much. Maybe if Roman and hadn't have come and ruined football we could but not with him here. It'll be hard enough with the money from Emirates coming in let alone without it.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
that is semi true jern. but euro football goes above and beyond money. i demonstrate to you porto winning the cup last year and leverkusen almost winning it in 2002.

money is a part but it is efficient management. fergie and wenger have more expereine of cl football than anyone else in the champs league, fergie manager with most experience in cl and wenger 2nd most experienced in terms of games played.

but still only share 1 euro cup between them. so is money the root. i hate to point at united and madrid but they splash cash but it does not gurantee success.

tradition seems to be dying yet chairmen and presidents all over the world say thet base there club on there prestige. what a load of bollocks.

lets not forget also that all this commercial success and financial bickering has left one of englands most successful teams hostile of takeovers from an american who doesnt even know the game.

if glazer comes he will break the sky agreement and seek ppv for man united as well as foreign tv contracts breaking all the premier league foreign tv broadcasts contracts.

therefore the contract price goes down and all other teams suffer. maybe english prem teams should focus on that rather than selling there stadiums name.

·
63,337 Posts
money isn't everything but it gives you a much better chance, we do well at the moment because of Wenger, once he has gone we may get a coach who is not so shrewd in the transfer market and on 38,000 crowds we will drop down the table like a stone.

·
63,337 Posts
btw, the one guy in football that can afford to keep his shirt clean today signed a deal with Samsung. ;)

even Abramovich takes the shilling with all his wealth.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
money isn't everything but it gives you a much better chance, we do well at the moment because of Wenger, once he has gone we may get a coach who is not so shrewd in the transfer market and on 38,000 crowds we will drop down the table like a stone.
Why would we be getting 38,000 to a 60,000 seater stadium? We'd have to be utterly useless for that to happen (*touch wood*) :pp

·
63,337 Posts
khimik said:
Why would we be getting 38,000 to a 60,000 seater stadium? We'd have to be utterly useless for that to happen (*touch wood*) :pp
no i am talking about the hypothetical situation if we didn't take the E****** money so couldn't build the new stadium.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
btw, the one guy in football that can afford to keep his shirt clean today signed a deal with Samsung. ;)

even Abramovich takes the shilling with all his wealth.
Not sure about that.

What Roman? 20ish richest bloke in the world or something?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts