Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all these threads about the best such and such, how about one about the worst refs? Personally, my top 3 of the worst refs in the world would be the following, in no particular order:

Gilles Vessières
Hugh Dallas
De Sanctis

Those 3 have a great track record of harsh decisions and of not taking the appropriate decisions in most cases, if not always. Watching these 3 men refeering gams of this high level, i really wonder how the hell did they manage to become international refs? I've rarely seen any ref make more bad calls as these 3.

Now your turn.;)

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
De Santis is obviously too often a disaster in serie A, but as far as International games are concerned- I have to go wit Hugh Dallas. What a freaking moron. I have never seen him ref. a game even close to decency.

I don't recall the name of the Mexican who expelled 3 players in the Denmark-South Africa game at France98, but he was so bad it was actually funny :D .

Ciao.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yeah, that guy was insane. I can't even remember who went out, except Wighorst was one of them :D. Glen, would you please go by the Nordic forum, I need your opinion on something. It's also about Carl Aage Præst and the other Danes who went to Juve at that time :). It's in the 'Greatest Nordic player through times' thread.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Günter Benko for that decision he made at the semi final between Portugal and France. At the 177th minute he ordered a penalty kick which ended the game in France's favour.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Benko simply applied the rules of football. He just had to call it, it was obvious like a mountain. ;) No need to argue anymore about this game, let us focus on the topic of this thread. Any other candidates for this "award"? Does anyone remember the ref of that scandalous Benfica-OM, in the 1990 Champions Cup 1/2 final, 2nd leg, who allowed a goal with the hand, by Vata in the 83rd minute? He was a belgian coach...Only a belgian coach would allow a handball goal...:howler::tongue::dielaugh:
Sorry Steph, just teasing here...;):tongue:
Also, anyone remember this Mr. Benacoeur or Benasseur or whatever his name is, this Algerian dude, who didn't disallowed the "Hand of God", in Mexico 86. The whole world saw it was a handball, except this blind dude...:stress:

Some times, you wonder, how someone became an international ref. Sometimes, even, the so-called best ref of the world, Mr. Collina commits some monumental mistakes. Latest in mind, just look at last week, the game between Venezia and Roma, were Venezia were simply robbed. Another famous Collina blunder, was the gift to Zalayeta at the San Siro, last december, in the worst dive of the season...:rollani:

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
San_Siro_1 said:
Benko simply applied the rules of football. He just had to call it, it was obvious like a mountain. ;) No need to argue anymore about this game, let us focus on the topic of this thread. Any other candidates for this "award"? Does anyone remember the ref of that scandalous Benfica-OM, in the 1990 Champions Cup 1/2 final, 2nd leg, who allowed a goal with the hand, by Vata in the 83rd minute? He was a belgian coach...Only a belgian coach would allow a handball goal...:howler::tongue::dielaugh:
Sorry Steph, just teasing here...;):tongue:
Also, anyone remember this Mr. Benacoeur or Benasseur or whatever his name is, this Algerian dude, who didn't disallowed the "Hand of God", in Mexico 86. The whole world saw it was a handball, except this blind dude...:stress:

Some times, you wonder, how someone became an international ref. Sometimes, even, the so-called best ref of the world, Mr. Collina commits some monumental mistakes. Latest in mind, just look at last week, the game between Venezia and Roma, were Venezia were simply robbed. Another famous Collina blunder, was the gift to Zalayeta at the San Siro, last december, in the worst dive of the season...:rollani:
No offense San_Siro_1, but your talking from the French fan perspective. I hardly talk about it anymore, but it still goes through my head when I think about football. Many of the Portuguese players who played in that game, respect the game alot. But with such an out burst given by the Portuguese players suggested that it may have been a bad call, I'm sorry but I also believe it was a bad call. It's been two years though and I looking to the future. Hopefully A Portugal v France World Cup Final.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Why it was a bad call? The ball was going in, Abel Xavier find it with his hand, clear penalty. I never understood the fuss about that call. I bet noone would have said anything if it was at say, 56th minute...

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Soccer Star,
I perfectly understand your point. It must have been terrible when that call was made. It was very unfortunate for Portugal and you guys were not lucky at all. Not lucky for the fact that Xavier commited such a blatant foul in such a crucial moment. The ref had no other alternative than to apply the rules of football. If he didn't make the call, then he would have been a biased ref, and refs are and have to be unbiased. When an intentinonal handball is commited inside the penalty box, that's an automatic penalty. Period. These are the rules of football. I am not making them up.

·
Administrator
11,902 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
Why it was a bad call? The ball was going in, Abel Xavier find it with his hand, clear penalty. I never understood the fuss about that call. I bet noone would have said anything if it was at say, 56th minute...
Yes I can not believe people complain about that. Anybody who can't admit that it was a clear hand ball is wasting time (BTW in case you are wondering I wanted Portugal to win so I am not being subjective)

Worse ref
1. that overrated guy called Collina
2. the Swiss guy (Kohl) who gave a penalty to the Germans in Italia '90 vs the Czechs
3.Another Swiss ref (!) Rothlisberger who blew a penalty call in the Germany - Belgium game at USA '94.
It is funny how Germans progress at world cups
remember '82

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Edgardo Codesal(WC final 1990)

We were robbed..

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I disagree with the inclusion of Hugh Dallas. I havnt seen him ref a lot in international, or indeed european matches but i have seen him a lot in Scotland where he is in charge of the old firm games. I am always impressed by the way in which he refs the most difficult game in the world.

Graham Poll is awful, thats for sure. As the song goes, "Graham Poll, you're such an a*****e.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Graham Poll is indeed VERY bad. Graziano Cesari was also lame but fortunately he retired.

Regarding Hugh Dallas, I gotta side with Glen and the rest. He doesn't have a clue...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Terje Hauge of Norway, definately, and the two british referees are terrible as well...

Did you see Hauge's penality desition in the game between Panathinaikos and Barcelona in Athens in the qf of the Champions League? Than you know what I mean... There is, even in Norway, probalby six or seven referees better than Hauge...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts