Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FIFA would have you believe that goals & fancy footballwork are all midfielders need. What about a hard tackler like Roy keane, who drags his nation to the world cup and has more medals than most.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Keanes a very good player, although i think he lacks the ability that a lot of players ( Zidane, Totti ) have, but he makes up for it in effort n workrate. Zidane is the best in the world no doubt, hes incredible, despite being bald :D ;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
zidane....by a mile...

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Arguable but yeah, Zizou:angel:'s the greatest on the pitch right now.
My favorite is Valerón but he has still a lot to develop.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
have to admitt zizou is the best. :(

but still i dont like him :D i'll choose inter's christiano zanetti :)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
IMHO, I think that Veron is the best midfielder today. I would also rank Zidane and Riquelme very highly as well.

I believe that within the next couple of years Riquelme will be widely regarded as th best midfielder in the world. He's an incredible player and at 23 has time on his side.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Veron is no way near the best mid-fielder list yet. Nowhere near.

ZINEDINE YAZID ZIDANE IS THE BEST
FRANCESCO TOTTI IS SECOND
MANUEL CESAR RUI COSTA THIRD
RIVALDO FOURTH

AND

LUIS FIGO FIFTH.

RIQUELME IS BETTER THAN VERON.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
what's the point of all these opinions?
Do you have a specific reason, Belini, to rank Luis Felipe Madeira 'Figo' so low knowing that he is the winner of the Player of the Year award?
Anybody can just say:

ZIDANE IS FIRST
JOSÉ MANUEL IS SECOND
VICTOR SANCHEZ IS THIRD
FIGO IS FIFTH

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Bailemos

Yeah of course it's a matter of opinion. The reason why I didn't give any opinions is mainly because many other posts don't have any reasons.

You obviosuly think that Luis Figo is the best in the world, but you haven't given any valid reasons of why he is the best either.
Him winning the award doesn'y make him the best. The reason why Zidane is the best is because he can do it all. When Figo and Zidane went head-head at the Euro 2000 Zidane kicked Figo's butt.

Figo has only been voted top for this award for 1 year. 1 year doesn't make a player the best in the world. Zidane has proved it all both at club level and international level.

Figo has also proved it at both level but Zidane seems to be more important, and he plays better than Figo at the most important time as he did at Euro 2000 and WC 98.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Romano Belini,

It is not correct to say that Zidane kicked Figo's butt in Euro2000 semifinal. As the clumsy Abel Xavier touched the ball in the box it was a definite penalty. And Zidane was France's PK taker, he just scored, I'm sure that Figo would have scored the penalty too if one of the French players would have tried the goalkeeper's job. But France did not dominate the match (if they a little bit did it was because France has in general a better squad; France 1st FIFA ranking, Portugal 4th). And in WC 98 Portugal just didn't get too far because of their team, not only Figo. Read this- (not my opinion BTW) http://www.onefootball.com/index.ph...ry&newsid=65582

I guess you didn't read my posts above where I mentioned twice that Zidane is IMO the no.1 midfielder in the world. IMO Zidane is better than Figo if they can be compared at all but it's alittle unfair to place him 5th.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
bailemos said:
Romano Belini,

It is not correct to say that Zidane kicked Figo's butt in Euro2000 semifinal. As the clumsy Abel Xavier touched the ball in the box it was a definite penalty. And Zidane was France's PK taker, he just scored, I'm sure that Figo would have scored the penalty too if one of the French players would have tried the goalkeeper's job. But France did not dominate the match (if they a little bit did it was because France has in general a better squad; France 1st FIFA ranking, Portugal 4th). And in WC 98 Portugal just didn't get too far because of their team, not only Figo. Read this- (not my opinion BTW) http://www.onefootball.com/index.ph...ry&newsid=65582

I guess you didn't read my posts above where I mentioned twice that Zidane is IMO the no.1 midfielder in the world. IMO Zidane is better than Figo if they can be compared at all but it's alittle unfair to place him 5th.:rolleyes:
Sorry I didn't read them.

Yeah I suppose I it is unfair to place him fifth, and yes your right Figo would have scored if Portugal had a penalty. The point I'm trying to make is that Ziadne is not better than Figo just because France won the game. Zidane played better than Figo in that game. When France played Portugal last year and France were 3-0 up in the first half with Zidane creating. In the second half Zidane did not play and France rarely attacked and it's not a coincidence. Both Zidane and Figo played below their par, however Zidane still out-shined Figo again and was the inspiration but Figo was nothing in that game.

The reason why I put Rui-Costa ahead of Figo is because he never has a bad game. If Rui Costa played in that game then Figo would have been great.

Totti ahead of Figo because he never fails to put a good performance for either club or country. He is a true leader. Figo does not have his leadership qualities. If you follow Roma in Serie A you will know what I'm talking about. TOTTI is the most inspirational player in the world.

My Friend I will not change this order:

Zidane
Totti
Rui Costa

Figo will be fourth and Rivaldo fifth. The three players mentioned above are the three most influential players in the world. Figo is great but does not have their influence on other players. Figo is a great individual but the other three are great individual and have the ability to make others play great.READ ALL OF THIS EVEN IF IT'S BORING

·
Registered
66 Posts
Best

The title best midfielder is a hard one. Is a good player one that can score, give lot's of assists or one that tackles en leads the defence?

I think a combination of both thats why I think that:

1. Roy Keane
2. Zidane
3. Totti

are the best. Not in this particular order ;)

Also I think Steven Gerrard of Liverpool is going to be the next Roy Keane. This young lad has te potential to be one of the best defending midfielders. Plus he is attacking-wise strong en doesn't give up without a fight on the pitch

[edit] Correcting my grammar:)[/edit]

·
Registered
547 Posts
Roy Keane

1. His record speaks for itself. He has probably won more medals than any other midfielder around at the moment.
2. If he was English/Spanish/Italian he would arguably, have already won the World Player of the Year award.
3. He almost NEVER has a bad game. All of the players that have been mentioned so far are 'flair' players that suffer frequent dips in form and are sometimes completely anonymous in football matches.
4. He does not have any weaknesses in his game. He is good in every department and exceptional in some(position, tackling, leadership, fitness, passing, strength).
5. His leadership qualities are unmatched. He is the reason why you can never write Manchester United off and the main reason why Ireland are going to the World Cup.
6. The one season in recent memory where ManU did not win anything coincided with one thing - Keane having a cruciate ligament injury for the entire season.

Lastly, and most importantly...
7. He would beat all of the others combined in a fight.

Keane is not the obvious choice because he does not rely on the spectacular to thrust himself into the limelight. But we all know,
there's only one Keano!!!

My top three:

Keane
Vieira
Zidane

1 - 20 of 25 Posts