Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading some ignorant comments on why the biggest baseball competition is called the "world series" i would like to clarify the reason it is called the world series. It is called the world series not because it has anything to do with geography or being a global competition but because the world series was organised by a new york based paper called at one time the NY WORLD newspaper and so they appropriatel called it The WORLD series....i'm not sure if the paper is still around or has just been renamed. I know this has little to do with soccer (football) but i wanted to get this out into the open for those people who have started a thread based on prejudice and ignorance. As to American soccer i think we are very underrated (ranked 11th last time i checked) baring in mind that we do have a relatively easy region (concacaff). i think in ten to fifteen years we will become a soccer power as we are 1.generally a sporting power (olympics anyone). 2. A very high population 300 million 3. A lot of money poured into sports at both amateur, university and proffessional levels 4. Growing enthusiasm in soccer.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
You might be number one at one point but soccer would have to become the national sport for it to happen. Simply too much passion exists in too many countries for countries where it isn't a priority to win.

According to most Americans I speak to it isn't going to overtake Gridiron and Baseball there anytime soon. Long term I'm more worried about the Chinese potential for dominance unless this changes.

·
Registered
869 Posts
madhat1003 said:
After reading some ignorant comments on why the biggest baseball competition is called the "world series" i would like to clarify the reason it is called the world series. It is called the world series not because it has anything to do with geography or being a global competition but because the world series was organised by a new york based paper called at one time the NY WORLD newspaper and so they appropriatel called it The WORLD series....i'm not sure if the paper is still around or has just been renamed. I know this has little to do with soccer (football) but i wanted to get this out into the open for those people who have started a thread based on prejudice and ignorance. As to American soccer i think we are very underrated (ranked 11th last time i checked) baring in mind that we do have a relatively easy region (concacaff). i think in ten to fifteen years we will become a soccer power as we are 1.generally a sporting power (olympics anyone). 2. A very high population 300 million 3. A lot of money poured into sports at both amateur, university and proffessional levels 4. Growing enthusiasm in soccer.
Good luck, it's rather hard to have a great NT if the home league is very weak tough

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
madhat1003 said:
As to American soccer i think we are very underrated (ranked 11th last time i checked) baring in mind that we do have a relatively easy region (concacaff). i think in ten to fifteen years we will become a soccer power as we are 1.generally a sporting power (olympics anyone). 2. A very high population 300 million 3. A lot of money poured into sports at both amateur, university and proffessional levels 4. Growing enthusiasm in soccer.
5. the hispanic influence on the country, growing by each day.

I also think 5-10 years from now US will be a "soccer power".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might be number one at one point but soccer would have to become the national sport for it to happen. Simply too much passion exists in too many countries for countries where it isn't a priority to win.

According to most Americans I speak to it isn't going to overtake Gridiron and Baseball there anytime soon
I disagree i don't think soccer has to be the number one sport for us to be a soccer power. With our high population we are able to financially and culturally support multiple sports and still be successful at supporting quality players in the given sports. baseball, Basketball, US football, and hockey teams are valued at hundreds of millions of dollars. Player salaries in baseball, basketball, American Football, and hockey i think match or most of the time beat that of soccer stars in the big three leagues so i believe that we are able to support a lot of different sports in the US without it having to be the national sport. remember believe most of europes population can fit into the United States of America. if we have only a portion (ex. say 10 percent)of the sports fans in the US who liked soccer there would in many cases be more soccer supporters in the US than there would be more soccer supporters in the US than there would be in a lot of european nations.

Good luck, it's rather hard to have a great NT if the home league is very weak tough
I think you are underrating our home league. i think in comparison with the big three leagues we are not in their league but i think that we are expanding very quickly and remember the league is only 8 or so years old. and i seem to remember when some of the EPL middle table teams came to america in 2oo1 and 2002 to play some friendlies i remember the EPL teams were only able to win 5 out of the overall 9 games and there was overall only one draw

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
remember believe most of europes population can fit into the United States of America
Clarification: I meant to say Most of europes population would match that of the population of the united states

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
madhat1003 said:
I think you are underrating our home league.
No he wasn't. He said weak and the MLS is indeed weak. Weak in level of play, weak in stability of the league, weak in attendance, weak in many aspects of the game.

What does your comment about the World Series of Baseball have to do with the topic? :confused:

I do agree that one doesn't have to have such a strong league, in order to have some type of success in the International Arena. But it certainly helps. If the American kids get away from the College scene and head for Europe at an early age, it might help speed the process. College will do wonders for the progress of the brain, but it does zero for the progess of football.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
barça said:
No he wasn't. He said weak and the MLS is indeed weak. Weak in level of play, weak in stability of the league, weak in attendance, weak in many aspects of the game.

What does your comment about the World Series of Baseball have to do with the topic? :confused:

I do agree that one doesn't have to have such a strong league, in order to have some type of success in the International Arena. But it certainly helps. If the American kids get away from the College scene and head for Europe at an early age, it might help speed the process. College will do wonders for the progress of the brain, but it does zero for the progess of football.
Barca, with all due respect, the Dutch and Portuguese really don't have strong league but their NT's are very strong.

I think the MLS average attendance last year was close to 20,000 per game if not then slightly over. Nonetheless, the league itse'f has many more pressing problems than that. It's advertising completely sucks, it has a crappy TV deal, and well some of the quality just isn't up to snuff.

Yet, I'm cautiously optimistic that one day the league will thrive for many reasons. It's entering it's 10th year already don't forget and who would've thought it would've lasted that long.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
madhat1003 said:
I think you are underrating our home league.
I think you're overrating it. I've watched MLS on ESPN before, and I can safely say -- without bias -- that it was no better than the English Second Division. It was horrible. It was slow, the play was poor and the touches on the ball were not that much higher than the old Australian NSL, and that WAS awful.

MLS isn't even capable of scratching the back of the top ten leagues in Europe. It's not even comparable to La Liga, Serie A or the Premier League. Or the Bundesliga, or Ligue.1, or Supaliga. Scottish PL maybe, but they're Scottish and aren't good at anything anyway.

Sorry if I came off offensive, but it's a simple truth. You are severely overrating the MLS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does your comment about the World Series of Baseball have to do with the topic?
My comment about the world series was in response to a thread that has been closed that was started by saying/asking should america be kicked out of soccer and the original poster made some comment about the world series and how it had nothing to do with the rest of the world. I just felt i should clarify the meaning of "World" in "world series"

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
There are a lot of others team sports that are somewhat popular in the US and yet they don´t dominate the game or come close to being competitive. Its not as easy as 1+1, I don´t think the culture is there to produce 11 great players, its not as "easy" as finding a great swimmer, runner, gymnast.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
BTW the world champ of Rodeo I saw a week ago included argie/brazie, gauchos for instance?? pal just kidding but even being right on the World Series is the tendency of calling every tournament winner World Champ waht tends to be annoying, and quite strange cause the truth is that:
1. In many of those sports, you really are the best, even not including many nations in the competition, or none. At least it seems.
2. What you care about the world mostly anyway, you are so, greatly in many ways, looking always in your own belly that why caring to name it World Champs, anyway?

I guess that is why someone may get confuse and thought, The World Series was another of these cases.

About USA being a Power house, could be as you said it you have evrything in the structure ambit, then will have to see if the cultural item will let you produce them, anyway as Lit said nothing is 1+1, but you have your chance for sure.

·
21,026 Posts
Flo said:
Barca, with all due respect, the Dutch and Portuguese really don't have strong league but their NT's are very strong.
Maybe I didn't explain myself well:( but I was agreeing with this fact:cool:

Attendance was around 15.5K for this year, up a fraction due to the Adu factor.

The MLS is unfortunately weak, when I moved here, two years ago last week, I became a Metrostars season ticket holder, I didn't renew. The stadium sucked, the play was terrible and so on. The prospects in the USA tend to head to College, with free substitution and only a handful of games a year for a schedule. The prospects overseas of the same age, have tons more experienced, more games, more game fitness etc.

I don't doubt that the USA can become a power, but I don't see it as clearly as do others, it will take much longer than anyone anticipated.

My son, a good player in his own right, watches more football thna his entire team combined. He can tell you about most of the goals and moves of the players from the weekend before, while his team mates can't name the players in Man U or Arsenal, let alone the Metrostars or DC United. Yet they can talk about what Terrel Owen absence means to the Philadelphia Eagles. If his team mates and kids like him are to be the dominant force in the world, they need to play and watch the game of football more than the game of American football.

·
21,026 Posts
Fangio said:
BTW the world champ of Rodeo I saw a week ago included argie/brazie, gauchos for instance??
As a matter of fact, there is a TV station in the USA called the Outdoor Life Network that shows a Profesional Bull Riding cicuit, the mighty PBR :tongue: and the champion last year was a Brazilian;)

I have no idea how I came to know that crap :eekani:

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
madhat1003 said:
That you are 'generally a sporting power' is mostly because of so many citizins. When you look at the chart here, you see you are not as good as you think;

http://simon.forsyth.net/olympics.html

Gold medals per million population
You are 34th in that ranking, with a lot of countries above you, who are RELATIVELY doing better.

Total medals per million population
You are even 39th when you look at the total ammount of medals and comparing it with the ammount of citizins.

Now its your turn.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Barcawinner said:
That you are 'generally a sporting power' is mostly because of so many citizins. When you look at the chart here, you see you are not as good as you think;

http://simon.forsyth.net/olympics.html

Gold medals per million population
You are 34th in that ranking, with a lot of countries above you, who are RELATIVELY doing better.

Total medals per million population
You are even 39th when you look at the total ammount of medals and comparing it with the ammount of citizins.

Now its your turn.

This is such rubbish. To conclude that a country is or isn't a sporting power house by the number of medals or gold medals it has per capita is a joke.

Try again.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If his team mates and kids like him are to be the dominant force in the world, they need to play and watch the game of football more than the game of American football.
I agree but the game is growing 1.fox sports world. the only channel dedicated almost solely to soccer matches is growing in viewership over every year. 2. more american kids between 5-13 play soccer than our so called national sport: Baseball.

The Down sides
1.Our domestic league is crap in comparison to others. but its not that bad! and it IS improving rapidly in terms of quality

2.We don't have a lot of soccer fans. but as stated in prior threads if only a small portion of our sports fans support soccer we will still probably outnumber those of smaller countries that are soccer powers (ie. holland and ireland in the top ten fifa rankings). so i don't view the percentage of soccer fans in our country a problem

3.Our NT hasn't had any real success in the present or past. but thats changing. for a team that had not qualified since 1950 prior to 1990 we have only progressed. the 1998 WC we didn't make it to the last sixteen. 2002 WC we made it to the last 8 and were narrowly beaten by germany 0-1 in a game which even some of the germans said we dominated the first and most of the second half. some of you might say its a fluke we got that far and you may be right but i do not believe so.

Yes soccer in a Variety of areas in america is not up to par with europe or south america but in time (5-15) years we will i believe be in the top five.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Flo said:
This is such rubbish. To conclude that a country is or isn't a sporting power house by the number of medals or gold medals it has per capita is a joke.

Try again.....
I know it comes as a shock for you :proud: anyway I'm not going to take this reaction very serious looking at your Location in your profile. :jester: and especially since your comment is based on nothing.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
2.We don't have a lot of soccer fans. but as stated in prior threads if only a small portion of our sports fans support soccer we will still probably outnumber those of smaller countries that are soccer powers (ie. holland and ireland in the top ten fifa rankings). so i don't view the percentage of soccer fans in our country a problem
Since when is Ireland a 'football power'?
Also, Holland has 'only' 16 million citizins compared to your 300 million. So when you look at the percentage, Holland has more fans. Most people support some local club one way or the other. Ofcourse not all people, but alot. Football is the most important game in our country by a large margin.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts