Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article courtesy of reuters.

LONDON (Reuters) - England manager Sven Goran Eriksson has picked Argentina as his World Cup favourites and given a strong hint that he would pick midfielder Joe Cole by saying England's squad could be the youngest at the 32-team finals.

Eriksson also said he would pick Leeds United's Lee Bowyer and Jonathan Woodgate after the World Cup finals. The players have been ignored since being involved in court cases over the assault of an Asian student.

Cole, 20, was outstanding in a 4-0 defeat of Paraguay this month while defender Wes Brown (22) and midfielder Owen Hargreaves (21) are also fighting for World Cup places alongside Michael Owen (22) and central defender Rio Ferdinand (23).

"We will have one of the youngest teams, maybe even the youngest," Eriksson was quoted in the Daily Mirror as telling a business lunch this week.

"If the opening game was tomorrow I would definitely know my starting 11, although of course it depends on fitness and injuries."

England meet Argentina, Sweden and Nigeria in the first round at the finals in Japan and South Korea, starting on May 31.

"I would say Argentina would be my favourites along with France and maybe Italy but as dark horses why not us?

"I know it's going to be very difficult but it costs nothing to dream.

Midfielder Bowyer was cleared of assault charges in December but Woodgate was found guilty of affray and sentenced to 100 hours of community service. The defender suffered a broken jaw this month and will miss the rest of the season.

Their international careers were put on hold during the legal proceedings and Eriksson said they would not be picked for the World Cup as it might affect England's image abroad.

"After the World Cup I will pick them both. Lee Bowyer had a difficult season for many reasons and I'm the first to understand he is a good player.

"But if he is not going to picked for the World Cup, then he will be in the future."

·
Registered
271 Posts
"I would say Argentina would be my favourites along with France and maybe Italy but as dark horses why not us?
Hmmm, he's not exactly putting all his eggs in one basket, but erriksson is something of a fence camper. Secretly, he knows Argentina are the only favourites. ;)

Does anyone here think Argentina have anything to fear from Joe Cole? Despite my good knowledge of the EPL, I see him as an unknown quantity, a dark horse.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Leg,
Joe Cole is pretty good, although i havent's seen that much from him. BUt anyway, Gazza was pretty unkown to the world in 1990, and he was the third best payer of the tournmanent!;)

D

·
0 Posts
Does anyone here think Argentina have anything to fear from Joe Cole? Despite my good knowledge of the EPL, I see him as an unknown quantity, a dark horse
The whole of Argentina didn't know 18 year old Michael Owen in the last World Cup, until he scored that goal.

·
Registered
271 Posts
DeJackal, nor did England know he was anywhere near that good. ;)

Although this time, I suspect most of England has no idea about anyone of the 23 likely to be in the Argentine squad. Even Veron.

Prepared to be slaughtered :devil:

D

·
0 Posts
leg100 said:
Its sad to support the greatest team in the world?

Youre the one who will be sad come June 7th

I'm English, I support England/
If I was Australian, I would probably support Australia
If I was an Ethiopian, I would probably support Ethopia.
For obvious reasons.

You support Argentina, I sure hope you're Argentinian.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Hello DeJackal from Wakefield Yorkshire!:D

I'm American but support Argentina!;)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unlike, how he is positioned at Man Utd, Veron's fits perfectly into the tactical setup of the Argentinean NT so although we have the depth and quality in players to cover virtually every position, Veron is actually a very valuable player on our NT.

DeJackal said:

I wouldn't be surprised, Argentina and Man Utd play better without him.

D

·
0 Posts
Humbird said:
Hello DeJackal from Wakefield Yorkshire!:D

I'm American but support Argentina!;)
As long as you support your own national team, then that's ok.

But leg100 seems to come across as an Englishman who supports Argentina and even worse, he wants Argentina to beat England. But I'm only assuming.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
I'm not sure what I would do if the USA played Argentina in a WC match.

... well actually I do know. I would support Argentina.

...but not supporting the USA team is nothing unusual for Americans. Most Americans don't even know we have a national soccer team.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Saying that Argentina plays better without Veron?

Obviously you haven't watched many Argentina games...

D

·
0 Posts
Humbird said:
I'm not sure what I would do if the USA played Argentina in a WC match.

... well actually I do know. I would support Argentina.

...but not supporting the USA team is nothing unusual for Americans. Most Americans don't even know we have a national soccer team.
I don't understand?

If your country went to war with Argentina. Would you support Argentina against your own country as well?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
SZeppelin75 said:

Obviously you haven't watched many Argentina games...
Abviously he has no clue what veron means to Argentina...and he has no clue what England ganna face against Argentina in the WC.....actually he has no clue what football means :D

D

·
0 Posts

Obviously you haven't watched many Argentina games
Ok, maybe Veron is good for Argentina, but for Man Utd, it's a different story.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can recall quite a few matches for Man Utd where Veron has performed very well and I'm not just talking about the champions league QF against Deportivo La Coruna.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
DeJackal said:
but for Man Utd, it's a different story.
How you want him play as he playing in Arg or even when he was with Lazio?? Every match I see him playing in different position, how that will help him to performe well, nowadays because of Beckham injury, Ferg is using Veron on the right side of the mid, Kean is injured... Veron will play in his position. Some tims he played in Giggs place as well!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts