Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the WC kicks off tommorow, so I made this thread to discuss the WC overall, whether you want to talk about our players' performances or the players linked to us ;)

These are our players that'll be there :

Spain:

Albelda : Well, he was one of our stars this season and he surely deserves to be there.. I'm not sure about his chances to be a starter but I think that he'll be a sub.. atleast in the first game with Helguera and Baraja filling up the defensive part of the midfield, though I'm quite sure He'll have his fair share of the action.

Baraja : Nobody can't argue about his inclusion in the squad and he's a 100% starter in Spain's squad if you ask me, he is set to start in the game against Slovenia and will probably be one of the important figures in the team if Spain manage to reach the later stages of the tournament.

Curro Torres Well, most of the Spain fans are disappointed with Camacho's choice to iclude Curro in the squad but I think that he deserves it ( perhaps I'm biased but.. ), Puyol is set to get the nod and start in the first games but if anything happens Curro will be eagerly waiting to get his chance and prove his worth, because IMO he's better than Puyol in defending..

Argentina :

Aimar : Pablito will start the WC as a super sub it seems with Veron starting as the playmaker and Ortega as a support striker but I'm 100% sure that Pablito will feature in most of the games, his little experience will make Bielsa a little hesitant with getting him on but I'm sure that Pablito will make it .

Ayala : Well he is surely a main part of Argentina's set up and he's probably going to have the captains armband aswell.. many have blamed him for the Bergkamp goal in the 98 WC and others say that he's an average defender and a "Serie A reject" so I guess he'll be there to prove his worth and shut those mouths off.. I just hope Alex Ferguson stays away after the WC :D

Kily : Another starter in Argentina's set up.. he had an important role in the qualifications and his link up play with Veron and Simeone was very impressive and I'm sure the trio will be out to continue it.. he'll be playing on the left wing with a more advanced position than his position in Valencia. ( He's being strongly linked with Inter lately btw :( )

Uruguay :

De Los Santos : He had a bad first season with us, but I don't doubt his ability and hope h stays with us for next season although I don't think he'll get much of the action with Albelda and Baraja in the squad.. anyway I'm not sure about his status with the NT, he played in their last two friendlies but those were the ones where mostly their subs took part of the action.. so ig uess well have to wait and see if he gets to startor be a bench warmer.

I guess that's it ( Hope I didn't forget anyway :eek: )

Let me mention some of the players that we'll be probably looking at during the competition ... :

Dario Silva(Uruguay), Pauleta(Portugal), El Hadj Diouf(Senegal) hmm.. can't think of anymore right now.. Maybe Puyol who is having some contract problems with barca?.. so if anyone of you has any other post them ;)

Oh and who will you guys be cheering for ? I'm obviously going for Argentina :strong:;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
ARRRRRRRRRRR-Gentina
With Veron as their main playmaker, Aimar doesn't get any chances to start, don't worry, I'll get my voodoo dolls on Veron.
:D

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tears4Fears said:
ARRRRRRRRRRR-Gentina
With Veron as their main playmaker, Aimar doesn't get any chances to start, don't worry, I'll get my voodoo dolls on Veron.
It is possible to play them both at the same time ;) just like the friendly against Cameroon for example, no need for any voodoo dolls :D Veron is our main player afterall ;)

Anyway, where did everyone go? are they still celebrating? :tongue: or perhaps they are busy with exams like me :(

G

·
Thats a great honour for Valencia to have so many players playing in the world cup...a very fair reflection of how great a team it is.

Baraja, Ayala and Kily were in my opinion the best players for Valencia and this is reflected in their starting positions...SPain and Argentina will make alot of use of these players and Like you said its a shame that Argentina wont employ Aimer in the starting lineup, on his day he's as good as Veron.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well, when it comes to NTs I usualy consider myself only as a Bosnian fan (and in my spare time I whistle "youth of the generation" alot:tongue: ), but unfortunately since my country probably won't qualify until 3612 I've got more than enough time to support(cos it's more interesting like that) almost every country on this blue planet (well, almost every....cos I strongly dislike few:eek: ........)

Regarding this WC, most of my sympathies will go for Argies and Spain (obviously cos of the players from the teams I support) and almost every underdog who can make a breaktrough playing well (especially ones who might beat sides like France,England,Brazil..)

Regarding Valencia players, it seems that for now we're gonna see only Ayala(Captain Ayala:cool: ) and Baraja as starters(it's a real shame Canizares won't play:( ), but down the road we might see some others as well.........

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've been very impressed by Senegal's right back, Coly.. I really think that if we want to get a right back than we should try to get him :cool:

As for our players, only Baraja, Kily and Pablito have played so far, Baraja had a good game against Slovenia, Kilyw as very good when he came on in the second half while Pablito had very little time..

Ayala has a slight injury and won't be available for Argentina in the upcoming game against England, but Kily will start :)

G

·
Funny you mention Coly, I was just thinking about his performance on the wing, he was running hard and knocking in a few setups for the strikers...I considered him probably the best (if not among the best ) on the field...very impressive, and I would certainly love to see him in valencia...

Baraja had an o.k game and Kily came on and proved his skill (and by the sounds of it earned himself a starting position).

Good work Valencia stars!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well, I agree with you guys about Coly(great 2nd half against Denmark)....I liked their leftback (I think his name is Daf) too, especially his performance against France........

Not very impressed with H.Diouf (much more with Fadiga) although I have to say I'm not impressed with strikers generally so far (not even Klose or Tommason)...........

I don't think Baraja played such a good game (aswell as their whole team ) but the most important thing was to break the jinxs...well,IMO reason for that was formation (which was build for Valeron who didn't played as expected) so Baraja (besides all defensive work as DM) had to do most of the playmaking aswell...

I wonder are we gonna see Los Santos against France today:rolleyes:

G

·
Yep, he came on at about the 70th minute....didnt really get a chance to do much but seemed to be a stable player and made a few good passes. Hopefully he will start the next match so he can prove himself on the world stage.

Speaking of that match...and since Valencia are pondering buying Dario Silva he has hadf an aweful world cup and played extremely dirty in this match against france, he came in with a few tackles that were worthy of a red card (as Henry received)...anyway overall he's been very unimpressive and erratic in his behaviour (as he always is).

Fuerza Recoba...what a brilliant player and Fuerza America Del Sur!!!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Monday, June 10, 2002

Aimar the popular choice for Argentina

NARAHA, Japan (Reuters) - Their team is packed with global superstars like Gabriel Batistuta and Juan Sebastian Veron, yet Argentine fans are looking for the emerging talent of Pablo Aimar to see them through their World Cup crisis.

Aimar: Set for start? (Allsport)

The 23-year-old nicknamed the Clown because he has an almost permanent grin on his face is suddenly being regarded as the nation's saviour after Argentina's 1-0 defeat to England on Friday left the favourites' hopes hanging on a victory over Sweden on Wednesday.

Aimar entered the wider football consciousness when he took over Argentina's playmaking role from the disappointing Juan Sebastian Veron in the second half against England and lifted their game.

Argentina still lost but fans have clamoured for more South American ball play from their team and see Aimar as the catalyst.

They have known Aimar for five years - since he helped Argentina's under-20s win the 1997 World Youth Cup in Malaysia.

Aimar was reminded that he and defender Diego Placente had been in a similar situation to the one now facing Argentina's World Cup team, when the under-20s lost a group match in Malaysia.

'We've talked about what happened then, but we won the title anyway. The same happened (to the under-20s) in Qatar (in 1995). Let's hope this isn't the exception,' Aimar said.

'Losing is never nice, (but) this national team, in a do-or-die situation, has always responded well,' he said.

Aimar went on to grab a regular place in an attractive River Plate side that also included wonder kid striker Javier Saviola, whose absence in Japan many fans regret, and Colombian centre forward Juan Pablo Angel.

EUROPEAN MOVE

Valencia took note and stepped in ahead of bigger European clubs to sign Aimar when his compatriot Hector Cuper was coach.

He was soon plunged into a European Champions League campaign that concluded with a final defeat to Bayern Munich a year ago when Cuper was criticised for taking Aimar off too soon.

In his second season with Valencia, Aimar started more often on the bench, but in the Spanish championship run-in this year he won a regular place in the side that clinched the title in May.

Argentina's 1978 World Cup-winning coach Cesar Luis Menotti, an acid critic of the team if he perceives they are straying from the country's classic attacking style, said: 'Argentina lack talent and I think they read the match wrongly against England.

'Despite their efficiency, Argentina have never played well in these (last) years, perhaps a bit in the friendly against Cameroon,' said Menotti.

The World Cup warm-up friendly against the African champions in Geneva in March, an exciting 2-2 draw, was arguably the match that clinched Aimar's place in Argentina's squad for the Korea/Japan finals.

In that match, Veron and Aimar played together. Veron retired deeper into the central midfield role with Aimar the link to the forward trio.

They produced some moments of wonderful attacking football and Aimar went on to confirm his playmaking qualities in the 1-0 win over Germany in Stuttgart in April.

'Playing in the middle is more my natural position,' said Aimar, who made his Argentina debut in a friendly against Mexico in Chicago in June 1999.

Having played in 12 of Argentina's 18 qualifying games and all three warm-up friendlies this year, he is looking forward to the possibility of a 21st cap in the most critical match of coach Marcelo Bielsa's reign.

soccernet

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm really glad he will get the chance to show the world his skills and vision, and let's hope he does grab this opportunity with both his hands and legs.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have lost hope in this WC.
Watching Argentina lost is so disappointing.
This WC sucks, and I don't have the desire to watch the rest of the fxxking matches.

·
Registered
280 Posts
quoted from teamtalk

Torres eyes starting role ^top
Right-back Curro Torres, who deputised for Carles Puyol against South Africa, believes he has done enough to keep his place in the Spain team.
The Valencia star, drafted in to give Puyol a rest, put in an outstanding performance against the South Africans, showing composure throughout the 90 minutes and causing endless trouble down the right flank.
Torres feels that he is capable of handling the limelight in the showpiece event and hopes to keep his place for Sunday's clash against the Republic of Ireland. He said today: "It just goes to show that there are no differences between the regular players and the reserves in this squad, there is no fixed XI.
"The 23 players in the squad are here to do the job as best we can and it's important that whoever comes in or out of the side the overall effect isn't noticed."
The Che ace added that many of the Spanish players are starting to feel tired due to the humid conditions in Japan and Korea.
"Now all we really want to do is rest and recharge our batteries for the next game," said Torres. "Eire have shown that they are in top form - they never stop running, control the ball well and are a very dangerous outfit. We're going to have to keep our wits about us because they are more than capable of pulling a surprise," he explained.
But Torres' colleague at Valencia, Pablo Aimar, has not been so lucky. The Argentina star claimed that his side were unlucky to have been knocked out at the first stage.
Blaming Sweden's defensive tactics in yesterday's 1-1 draw, Aimar said: "We should still be in the World Cup. When a team closes down so much like Sweden did, it makes it almost impossible to play offensively.
"We had hundreds of chances to score but Sweden defended and have ended up as the winners. It's not fair that those who take risks must go home while others who wait for the few chances presented to them stay in the competition - we're all devastated."
Well Aimar, I moan with people of Argentina these days:moan:

as for Curro, I don't think he was so brilliant to deserve starting place.......he was OK just like the others, but I would still prefer to see Puyol there........

and I wonder why was Albelda subbed so early(he wasn't playing bad either)?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Momo,Utopia where are you guys?

I hope you guys didn't switch on watching cricket now?:D

Come on, cheer up:cool:

I was myself utterly disappointed with Argies' exit (more than I thought I would be) but well......that's sport....not always fair but we just have to except it..........

anyway, besides Coly(who's mentioned earlier ) I was pretty impressed with Francisko Arce(Parag.'s rightback).....it's not just his free-kicks or set pieces, it's his all around performances.......
from what I've seen (unfortunately I haven't seen completely all his games) he's pretty good defender and very useful upfront......
I think he plays for Palmeiras, so he probably wouldn't cost that much........

and that Mexico's CD, Rafa Marquez was quite remarcable aswell..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ziad, I'm just being curious.......

who do you root for? USA or Spain? or both?

btw, thanx for the WC programme cos I really found it very useful:) ............

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Regards to Plotinus & Valencia fans.

Don't say we don't visit (and where's the tea)?:D :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ziad, I'm just being curious.......
who do you root for? USA or Spain? or both?
Neither :)
Spain? Too many Madridistas in there...
USA? Too arrogant...
Assuming Lebanon isn't playing :tongue:, I usually root for Argentina and France... :rolleyes:
So now, I'm pulling for...Senegal!!!!
btw, thanx for the WC programme cos I really found it very useful ............
Thanks!

So, who do you root for?

Ziad

·
Registered
280 Posts
originally posted by HakanK

Regards to Plotinus & Valencia fans.
Don't say we don't visit (and where's the tea)?
Well Hakan, the tea become cold by now;)
(we had title celebration at least a month ago),
but thanx anyway, in the name of good neighbour relationships we'll except even late congratulations:D :)

originally posted by Ziad

Neither

originally posted by Ziad

So, who do you root for?
well, as I said before my first choice was Argentina.....and from all others "big guns" I've got sympathies only for Spain (you're right about madridistas though) mostly because they've never won before(and Valencia players ofcourse).........

as for the others Turkey was my "dark horse" from the beginning (cos I knew that team pretty well and they've got some excellent players), but to be honest they didn't show that much so far (except the game against Brazil)....however,if they start playing up to their potential I'm sure they could go all the way (what would be a real pleasure for me)........

on the other hand, Senegal probably played the most attractive soccer on the tournament so far (definitely among the "underdogs") and you just can't help falling in love with their football......so it's gonna be a tough call for me.......
anyway, whoever gets through this fixture would have my total support against Brazil/England cos I really dislike later ones......

hopping for the surprise in the semis:angel: .........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts