Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
MVP
8,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the subscription fees/mechanisms in your country?

If you've hacked the system then how did you do it?

In UAE/Middle East:

You either purchase this receiver for $300. Includes 1 year subscription.

Or you pay $130 for the smart-card........BUT you must have an eligible receiver that is compatible with the NEW smart-cards. I currently own two Humax receivers which are non-compatible. :( :doh:

In Lebanon - Government TV station TeleLiban will broadcast ALL 64 matches FREE. The Emir of Qatar announced to our Minister of Internal Affairs that it was his gift to the Lebanese people. :howler:

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Teleliban? Interesting name.

It's free in US, well technically not free because you pay monthly for cable tv here anyways, but the word cup is not on a separate package and you don't need to pay anything extra.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
WatchESPN baby! Everything is streamed for free and recordings are available after matches as well (provided you have a cable subscription that has ESPN, which pretty much every one does). :yess:

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Yes that's what I meant, it's basically free. Also if you have Bein Sports you can watch highlights and analysis all day.

·
Registered
68,892 Posts
USA

For English speaking coverage all you need is basic cable to get ESPN which will show every game in HD and they have a 30-minute preview for every match plus a nightly highlight/review show. Free-to-air ABC will show some Saturday matches, even some 'lesser matches'. As YT mention online you can get WatchESPN, which is free as well and streams all the matches and archives them, not sure how long they archive WC matches but they had the Euro 2012 matches archived for about a year. I used the service a lot during qualification and never had any issues but I'm sure during the World Cup the traffic is larger and maybe the screen won't be as sharp

Univision has the rights to the Spanish speaking coverage and I assume its free-to-air channel, if not its on every basic cable package and also in HD. They are a bit more in depth with their coverage but obviously focus on Mexico + South American countries.

Channels like Fox Sports (basic cable) and BeIN Sports (special sports package) will also do World Cup analysis at night but not sure if they will be allowed to show highlights.

Overall the coverage in the US is pretty good, especially compared to 20 years ago where they would cut to commercial breaks during the game or not show every game live. My only complaint is the coverage is too basic, on both English and Spanish speaking stations, its targeted towards casual fans who only watch the World Cup and nothing else. I would like detailed talks about tactics (like Zonal Marking) but you ain't getting that with ESPN or Univision

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
CBC.ca should be streaming all the games online. This is Canadian national broadcaster. But in-game commentary is always from UK networks.

·
Registered
27,179 Posts
Teleliban? Interesting name.

It's free in US, well technically not free because you pay monthly for cable tv here anyways, but the word cup is not on a separate package and you don't need to pay anything extra.
same in Canada. You can also watch on CBC website for free.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Love the British when it comes to this. ITV and BBC getting together, forking out the tv-rights, showing sky the middle finger.

Love the coverage on BBC, no lame ass adverts.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Not sure yet if I should watch games more on English or German TV. One thing is clear, English games on UK and Germany games on German TV, but the rest...

·
Registered
64,011 Posts
As HS mentioned we just watch it for free on ESPN, and the production quality I can say with some confidence is the best in the world. ESPN3 also carries live games and replays for online users.

#america****yea

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Canada CBC is airing it for free online I think. It was really good quality streaming last time around so I am assuming the same this time.

·
Registered
24,051 Posts
How are the subscription fees/mechanisms in your country?

If you've hacked the system then how did you do it?

In UAE/Middle East:

You either purchase this receiver for $300. Includes 1 year subscription.

Or you pay $130 for the smart-card........BUT you must have an eligible receiver that is compatible with the NEW smart-cards. I currently own two Humax receivers which are non-compatible. :( :doh:

In Lebanon - Government TV station TeleLiban will broadcast ALL 64 matches FREE. The Emir of Qatar announced to our Minister of Internal Affairs that it was his gift to the Lebanese people. :howler:

I saw on MTV last night that BeIN Sports has refused to give teleliban broadcasting rights for the World cup, I could be wrong though.

Here, usually local channels (broadcasting via primitive technology, not satellite or cable) subscribe to BeIN then broadcast it for free. The government doesn't bother to do a thing.

For the Wrold cup only, the fee for the BeIN receiver is $200; $300 includes World cup and 1 year subscription.

But, Israel TV is broadcasting it for free over AMOS satellite, so all you need is $30 to watch it, if you don't have access to the free primitive technology :drunk:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts