1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
World Cup quotes of the day

SEOUL, June 4 (AFP)
What they're saying at the World Cup:

"Obviously I exaggerated the incident for the guy to be sent off" - Brazilian star Rivaldo earns a red card for Turkey's Hakan Unsal.

"A hat-trick would have been nice - but you can't ask for everything" - Christian Vieri makes do with two goals against Ecuador in Italy's opening win.

"I was really exhausted so I was happy to come off" - Ronaldo decides 72 minutes - and a goal - are enough for starters.

"I wish you all good luck ... and ask you to deploy more effort in the remaining matches" - The Saudi football team gets a message of support from Prince Sultan Ben Abdel Aziz.

"He is frustrated - but Thierry Henry, Sylvain Wiltord and Youri Djorkaeff were there to supply him" - French captain Marcel Desailly seeking reasons for David Trezeguet's scoreless performance as the inquest goes on.

"It's great to be playing England - it's one of the classics. It's like it's a derby in the Argentina versus Brazil mould" - Argentine defender Diego Placente highlights a possible match of the tournament.

"Different players have different personal characteristics and all can be useful because (opposing) teams all have different characteristics" - Italian coach Giovanni Trapattoni gets philosophical.

"The temperature and humidity are very difficult" - Croatia veteran striker Davor Suker finds the Asian climate hard going.

"We deserved one point today but we didn't get it for reasons that I don't talk about here" - Turkey coach Senol Gunes bites his tongue after his team lose to a late Brazilian penalty.

Source: Dailysoccer.com

:)

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Thanks for the quotes. They are very enlightening ;)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You're welcome, shahed :)

World Cup quotes of the day

SEOUL, June 6 (AFP)
What they're saying at the World Cup finals:

"When those come off then you go from being a buffoon to one of the world's great strategists" - relieved Irish coach Mick McCarthy on his late triple substitution which led to the equaliser against Germany.

"They will show that the English are absolutely terrified, they are quaking in their boots" - Argentine legend Diego Maradona on Friday's grudge match with England.

"England against Argentina in the World Cup finals, it does not get much bigger" - England captain David Beckham looking ahead to the clash at the Sapporo Dome.

"We're lacking a leader, a voice on the field. Oliver Kahn is a world class player but he's too far away in goal to sort things out" - German great Franz Beckenbauer breaks down his nation's weakness.

"A world champion is in trouble... I can feel the expectation of the French people" - French coach Roger Lemerre feels the pressure before the World Cup holders' crunch match against Uruguay.

"No-one thought we could win this game and Portugal were the favourites on paper, but at the World Cup you have to win it on the field" - US coach Bruce Arena after his team's shock 3-2 win.

"The president is fully supportive of the USA soccer team, and was encouraged by their first round victory," spokesman for US President George W. Bush, who was not watching baseball for once.

"Following reports that many people had complained that the Fifatickets.com site did not work properly, they could not download, we had to find another means to expedite ticket sales in Korea," spokesman for Korean World Cup organisers explaining decision to employ an additional ticket agent.

"These lads can play good football - why on earth should I tell them to start hitting balls into the air as if we were playing rugby union?" - Irish coach Mick McCarthy on a new approach.

Source: Dailysoccer.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts