Xtratime Community banner

World Cup Qualifier: Ireland - Iran 1st leg 10/11/01

4K views 133 replies 24 participants last post by  Bodat 
#1 ·
Beating Ireland is one hell of a job. Much harder than beating Australia. But like we saw yesterday, ther unimaginable happen. So I'm waiting for another miracle.

#2 ·
Who do u guys think you are? Look you aint gonna beat Ireland. Don't even put us in the same league as Austrailia. Ireland have world class players like Keane, Keane and Harte. We'll whip you boys...............if you happen to beat UAE.

#3 ·
Talk smack already, eh? ;)

Either you are overly paranoid or you are overly confident. Neither one of those will prove positive in this case. :D

Surely Ireland has some world class players. Look at it this way, Iran also has some world class players and Bahrain upset them!

That's why they play the game! :)

Otherwise, we should only have a four-team World Cup that involves only France, Italy, Argentina and Portugal! :howler:

#4 ·
Eh nope.................there's nothing too special about Portugal. We drew with them and they drew with us. Can you be lucky twice and beat Holland with ten men. Or have Ireland been really unlucky not to be already be in the world cup. Ireland are the best second place team from Europe. It's a crime to see Poland and Sweden go thru and Ireland not there yet. But we'll only have to wait a few more times. If Iran had to play the USA, Canada, Austrailia or New Zealand maybe they'd get through but c'mon. Ireland are a real football nation and we won't lose to Iran or UAE. If this match goes to a one off game you may have a chance but if it stays as a two legged affair we'll simply destroy anyone that is below world class in Dublin

#10 ·
If it comes to a ps-ing contest...

If it comes to a Penalty_Shootout, will Iran have the nerve? I mean, who have they got that's as cool and calm like Roy Keane or Ian Harte????

#16 ·
You guys are too over-reactive. :D This shows you feel the fear of being defeated by an Asian team. That will be a big humiliation for a Euro 2-class team like Ireland, which has some so-called "world-class" players. :D

Btw, don't tell me the Keane who failed in Serie A is a world-class guy, if that is true, you will find thousands of world-class players. Harte? nice free-kicker, but that's all he can.

#18 ·
If Ireland are second class the Holland must be 3rd rate!! Anyway I'd always back a second class (so called by you) Euro team to beat a first class Asian team based on stats and results over the years.

Now since Ireland are back in the World top 20 and are one of the 9 top seeds for the Euro2004 draw in January your assesment of them as a 2nd rate team is based on ignorance. I imagine the Iranian coach will not under estimate us especially since we finished above his Croatian team in the Euro2000 qualifiers.

Any questions??

#20 ·
The fact is.....

I know I may have been a little harsh on Iran, but the fact is Ireland have a better team. They have more experience playing top class teams....like Portugal and Holland. But the odds are that Ireland will go through, given their current record. I don't think Ireland are anywhere near good enough to win the World Cup, but losing to Iran is highly unlikely
Sorry, but that's just the way it is

#23 ·

That's an awful long way off pal. Even the Euro Championship in 2004 seems like an eternity away. If a team wants to do well, they can't be laid back and assume they'll win...like Holland. Holland just didn't have the goods

#24 ·
Carlos_ie said:
Ireland will win. Keane who played with Inter(Robbie) is only young. He will be world class. We have Roy Keane, eh he plays with eh, Man Utd. I think they're meant to be ok. Anyway Ireland will win
and don't forget that ireland also have Carr who is the best right back in EPL and Doherty who can play offense and defense and very versatile...ireland is a great team...

#25 ·
Yes, I think Carr should be at a bigger club. I can't believe Man Utd haven't snapped him up yet. That piece of monkey s.h.i.t Garry Neville should be sold. If Ireland don't get thru it'll be a real shame, after preventing Holland from going thru and pushing Portugal to only winning the group on goal difference................No really to lose to an asian team after all that, with all due respect, would be a real shame.

#26 ·
Based on certain logic above I suppose then that when the competition comes back to Europe that Asia wont mind losing a team or two from their quota to allow more Euro countries take part? Hmmm? If these Asian teams are as great as you say they are then they will have nooooo problem getting past wee Ireland (a 2nd rate Euro team apparently) and its not such a hard fought way in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.