Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With France and Brazil crashing out and Italy sneeking through, only Brazil seem to be on the right track. Maybe it is a new era of World Football? Also, think of the teams year in year out who qualify for big competitions who didn't even make it this summer.
Holland, Romania, Chile, Bulgaria...I could name a few more. So what is happening. I have a few reasons why I think why. Look at France, Argentina and Italy who have all struggled. They have basically the same team they had 2/4 years ago with the odd difference. I think some of the 'legends' maybe be past their sell by date now, and this may be a reason. Like Lebouef, Desailly and maybe even Maldini after an unsuccesful opening to the WC. Give some feedback on why yopu might think that this maybe happening.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
I wouldn't write off Italy just yet. They usually struggle in the first group and then play better. Look at WC 94. They were very lucky to qualify and eventually reached the final. They are still in there and should be consider a favourite for the title.

As for the teams crasching out. It shows that the world of football is changing and that there is no easy games left. Even the smaller teams are getting better and are able to give the so-called big teams problems. Costa Rica, who usually would be cannon fodder in a World Cup managed to play some good football and nearly qualified for the next round. The only two teams which performed below par was Saudi Arabia and China. Agreed, countries like Holland, France and Argentina has a lot of individuals that I would love to see in a World Cup but the two latter suffered from a poor organisation in the team and taking too lightly on the group stages and therefore they were punished.

No, the World Cup is not the same without France, Holland and Argentina but that is not neccesarily a bad thing. IMO, it is quite refreshing to see new teams doing good in the World Cup and I'm not just saying this because Denmark managed to conquor in Group A. ;) This World Cup has proven to be the most unpredictable in years and I belive that is a good thing. Usually the group stages is something which is just a phase before the real World Cup really begins, but with smaller teams getting better it is important to perform from the start and some teams (un)fortunately didn't realize that and paid for it. :)

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not writing off Italy, they are going to the final. When we win next game we will beat Spain or Ireland and then thru the semi's against Germany and win against Brazil in the final.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I think bringing the start of the world cup forward (to try and avoid the 'rainy season') has had a negative impact on some countries who draw alot of their squad from Europe where the league season was high pressured until the end....

this has perhaps affected the 'older' squads like Argentina and France more so than those with younger players, who have quicker re-cuperation times etc

although of course there is many other factors at play

·
Registered
115 Posts
Also IU think money play a big part of the French, Argentinean and Italian disappointment.

When you make 60,000 or 70,000 pounds a week from your club, it is difficult to motivate yourself to sweat match in and match out for national matches.

Most of the players of these nations have nothing to prove amd have already playing for big clubs. In contract, players from Senegal, Ireland, Japan, Mexico, Korea or the younger lads from Brazil and England eager to give 100% to prove themselves.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Italy are very very strong and they are all in their prime. Totti, Vieri, Nesta, Buffon, Cannavaro... Only thing about Italy that is somewhat weak is the central midfield that lacks some creativity. For sure only Maldini can be said to be past his very best. But not by much.

Argentina have a few who maybe are too old and/or lost their form. Almeyda, Simeone, Batistuta all have had injuries and poor form to struggle against this season.

France made the mistake to hang on to their glory generation though. But who knows what they could have done with a healthy Zidane?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
cannavaro77 said:
I am not writing off Italy, they are going to the final. When we win next game we will beat Spain or Ireland and then thru the semi's against Germany and win against Brazil in the final.
Hmm, I wouldn't be so confident. If we do beat Ireland on Sunday, Spain are going to get even better. This is the best football they've played in a long time. And besides, Spain will be seeking revenge for USA'94 which could play against the Italians.
We've already settled one score with the Paraguayans, Italy could be next on the revenge list! Either way, it would be an incredible match. Probably the best of the WC. Italy and Spain games are always unbelievable.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
There is a shift of power in the competition. It's a fact that we have to accept.
Many countries who were once considered as negligible in the competition are struggling to gain credence. And un(fortunately), they did it the fast way by straightaway showing their authority against Argentina, Italy, England, France, etc.

In the next WC, Denmark, Sweden, Senegal, or USA might not be capable of repeating what they have done, but surely there will always be some other countries repeating the history.
Countries like Italy, Argentina, France are rather slow to prepare. They kinda underestimated the strength of their opponents. Furthemore, they were deluded with the fact that they were unbeaten for 18 qualifying matches, they were the defending champion, or they had the best league in the world.

·
Registered
185 Posts
world cup definatly not the same!! with holland not qualifying....
france argentina and portugal out in the first round!!:confused: I dont get it ??

south korea ,senegal japan, VS,turkey paraguay in the second round ....what's the world comming to:eek:

i think the final is going to be South korea - senegal
:D

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mendieta: Although you are on very good form and you will have to be good to defeat Ireland, Spain Vs Italy would be a cracking match, although I am still confident that the Irish have a good chance. I remember 94' when we beat you 2-1 with a Dino Baggio strike and the winner from R.Baggio by taking it around the keeper to slot it in :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
cannavaro77 said:
Mendieta: Although you are on very good form and you will have to be good to defeat Ireland, Spain Vs Italy would be a cracking match, although I am still confident that the Irish have a good chance. I remember 94' when we beat you 2-1 with a Dino Baggio strike and the winner from R.Baggio by taking it around the keeper to slot it in :)
The one thing that stands out in my mind about this game was the amazing save Pagluica made stop Salinas!

That and the Tassotti (i think it was him) elbow on LE.

·
International
9,526 Posts
AMN said:
Many countries who were once considered as negligible in the competition are struggling to gain credence. And un(fortunately), they did it the fast way by straightaway showing their authority against Argentina, Italy, England, France, etc.

don't lump England in with that shower;) we're unbeaten, and are still actually in the competition thank you very much;) :cool:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I for one, have totally lost the passion for the WC, and most of my interest is gone.

I am a huge fan and have watched every game so far, but I do not really care about the rest of it.

Japan and Korea can have their party without me, and they probably will :D

The powers that be had the WC start on May 31 to avoid the rainy season?:rolleyes:

FIFA has to be careful who they award the WC to.
It will only get harder and harder to ensure the home teams advance. I can only imagine if China had hosted this WC. The ref might have had to give all of China's opponents 5 red cards and a couple of penalties against. Even then China might not score. Eeks; what would FIFA do in that situation.

I guess that's why they shocked people and gave the next WC to Germany and not S Africa.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
I don't understand why England are rated as a favourite while Sweden are rated as a surprise... Both teams are about the same. Play the same defensive style football with a strong defense and a lot of luck.

·
International
9,526 Posts
VERDI said:
I don't understand why England are rated as a favourite while Sweden are rated as a surprise... Both teams are about the same. Play the same defensive style football with a strong defense and a lot of luck.
rubbish! you make your own luck in football as in life. Luck equals preparation meeting opportunity. Just accept that England has a good team, and stop with all this verbal flatulence.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts