Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would I be correct in assuming that Real Madrid is the one football club on the planet whose players have won more World Cup medals than other club? I would be interested in knowing how many World Cup medals the club has accumulated over the years!

I would also like to know the names of all the players of Real Madrid who won World Cup medals! Looking forward to any comments on the subject!!;) ;)

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I think we got some stats freaks around who could possibly help you out, but your inquiry is VERY specific so I dont think those exact stats re written anywhere, you probably would have to count for yourself each WC how many RM players there were :eek:

·
Go for 400, Raúl!
2,008 Posts
Probably this will be a surprise for many of you guys, but I think not so many World Champions were also RM players.
The reason is easy: the spanish league has not always been as strong as it is now, then the best players were abroad, and as for the spanish ones, well... what could I say? :depress:

Notwithstanding, I will try to list here "our" champions:

1998: Karembeu. Count Zidane if you want, but he wasn't our player at the moment
1994: No brazilian player was also Real Madrid's at the moment. Unless I'm wrong, neither Ricardo Rocha who had been playing for Real the previous two years, nor Roberto Carlos, who joined in 1996, were at that World Cup
1990: None. Illgner joined Real some years later
1986: Jorge Valdano. Also Óscar Ruggeri played for Real 3 years later
1982: None
1978: None
1974. None, but Paul Breitner and Günther Netzer played for Real a few years later. Also future coach Jupp Heynckes raised the Cup that year.
1970-1966 None
192: None. Didí had already left Real
1958: None, but Didi signed for Madrid next summer
1954-1930 None.

So, in fact I think that, if we want to be exact, only TWO Real Madrid player have become World Champions, Valdano and... KAREMBEU!!! :googly:
At the best, we could only count up to eight players if we add the ones that signed for Real after winning the WC, plus one coach (Heynckes)

Probably the club that has received most World Champions will be an Italian, or German one. Among them Juventus, since the team that won in 1982 were built up from their players, or Inter who counted with several azzurri and some germans like Matthaus or Kilnnsmann. But probably it will be Bayern Munich the club in question, since they were at the base of the teams of 1974 and 1990
Argentinian and Brazilian teams, having most of their best players abroad, might not have that chance. Maybe Boca, River or Flamengo?

PS: Please let me know if I forgot any of our players. T-W-O seems just too poor!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts