Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my first time here. Hello everyone. Although this topic doesn't concern us directly as a Barca fan, I would like to know your opinion about the choice as Germany as the 2006 World Cup venue.
As for me, I would have preferred it to go to S Africa, but anyway congrats to Germany.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
South Africa should be the choice.WC has never been hosted in an African country and it was about time.Its ridiculus to have the event so close to France,only 8 years after!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I believe Germany was the correct choice. England did not deserve it due to hooligan problem and the way they broke the gentleman's agreement with Germany. Why should South Africa host the World Cup just because they are African? South Africa did not deserve it as they have too much crime.
Germany will host an excellent tournament. They have good stadia and are very efficient. The best bid won!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
hristo is right! The best bid won, and that was Germany. Of all four candidates, Germany was the country with the best presentation. Should we give the World Cup to South Africa although the bid was way inferior to the German one? My answer is no!

What do you think of this idea: I think, Europe is the "home of football"; Europe has the craziest fans, football is the national sport in almost every European country (except for Switzerland, Finland and perhaps Sweden), and Europe is qualified best to host the World's biggest sports event. So, I think every second World Cup should be hosted by a European country. The other ones should be somewhere else in the world.
This has also been good tradition the last 40 years - Since 1962 every second World Cup was hosted by a European country:

1962 Chile
1966 England EUROPE
1970 Mexico
1974 Germany EUROPE
1978 Argentina
1982 Spain EUROPE
1986 Mexico
1990 Italy EUROPE
1994 USA
1998 France EUROPE
2002 Japan / South Korea
2006 Germany EUROPE
2010 ?

So after the World Cup 2002 is outside Europe, it was the logical thing to do to give a European country the right to host the World Cup 2006. So, South Africa should host World Cup 2010...

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Off the four bids I believe the German bid was the best.
Best stadiums, best logistic facilities, best organization.

Two things to Funari:
1> Europe the craziest fans? Latin-American fans are much crazier!
2> South-Africa won't run for 2010. They made a pact with Brazil. Brazil supported South Africa for 2006, and South Africa will support Brazil for 2010.

But something I heard about the election of Germany:
The Asian delegation had a little chat with Sepp Blatter about a 5th Asian spot for WC2002. We all know that they have 4.5 spots, but they want 5 for quite a while now. So one day before the final elections they discussed it again, and again Blatter refused to give that spot directly to Asia instead of the play-off match. So at the final elections the Asian delegation took revenge, and voted for Germany instead of Blatter's favourite: South Africa.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, you could argue, which continent has the craziest fans. I don't think, South American supporters are crazier than let's say football fans from Italy, Spain or Turkey. But that's a silly thing to argue about. What I wanted to say is that Europe is best qualified for hosting a World Cup because the almost everybody here is interested in football - I cannot imagine, that this is the case in South Korea or even South Africa...

And: Don't be so sure, that South Africa will not make a bid for World Cup 2010. There was also a pact between England and Germany - Germany supported England in their bid for Euro 96, and so England should support Germany for World Cup 2006. And what did the English? They started an own bid for 2006!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funari....I'm sorry but i don't really agree with you regarding the suitability of the W Cup being held in South Africa in 2006. I've been both to Germany and also to South Africa, and although I would say hands down that Germany is more developed and in terms of facilities they are better, I feel that S Africa are more than capable to host the Cup.
How are we going to promote football when other continents are left behind the Europeans.....:confused:
I'm also not sure about your argument that supporters in Europe are more fanatical than in other parts of the world as I found out that the people in Africa knows a lot about football and they're crazy about it as well as people from Asia (I'm from Malaysia by the way). Maybe you should go to these places first before jumping into conclusion. This is just my opinion.....;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts