Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FIFA president Sepp Blatter has several times the last few months revealed plans about making the World Cup biannual. What do you think about it?

·
International
5,629 Posts
I don't like the bi-annual idea. These guys are already playing too many games with their professional clubs and in their countries' qualifiers for Euro, Copa America, etc...It would also spoil the event by making it common place and to some extent non-competitive because of the injuries that star players would incur as a result of too many games.

On the other hand the WC is a cash cow, and if that's the bottom line then I can see it happening every two years, but it would still be a watered down version of it, unless the pro teams are willing to sacrifice.

·
International
8,545 Posts
I don't like two year option at all. What would happen to the European Championship? It would probably disappear. I also think it would take away from the lustre of the world cup.

Four years is a long time in between cups, but it is definately worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
maybe EC will be alternately held between those 2 years. and no, I don't like the idea of 2 years. If Blatter wanted to make his name in history, he should try another one, not this one, with world club championship, and now this idea. no, no...
besides, 4 years worth the wait, the passion and the feelings in the air where everybody in the world discuss about it, the whole unite, and I don't think the wives like the idea of changing new tv every two years (the one that was thrown outside the window).
ciao!

·
Registered
44,764 Posts
Having a World Cup every two years would probably cheapen the value of the tournament.

And Jan, doesn't "bi-annual" mean twice a year? Isn't that just a bit TOO often? ;)

F

·
0 Posts
As I get older and my arteries start to clog up with plaque my family will try to kill me every 2 years by watching the World Cup. Then they can sue FIFA for about as much as Vieri is making a year. All because Blatter had to have the World Cup every 2 years.
For the love of God please don't do it to me!!!
The world Cup must stay at every 4 years (just like the Olympics). Firdaus and IVO give terrific reasons why.

R

·
0 Posts
UEFA have already told FIFA that they will not accept the World Cup every two years.
They are committed to the European Championships taking place in between World Cups, in the same way as the Africans and South Americans and others are committed to their own tournaments.
The thing that makes the World Cup special is the fact that it takes place only every four years.

D

·
0 Posts
I totally agree, 4 years is worth the wait.

I can think of one slight advantage of holding the WC every 2 years and that is, sometimes a player gets injured in early in a WC, and competes again 4 years later, he could be past his best. So if it was held every 2 years, the player would only have to wait another 2 years, and he could still be at his best. It sounds confusing, and it may not be a great argument for hhaving it once every 2 years, it was not my thought, I read it somewhere, but I took note of it.

But anyway, I personally think that it should stay once every 4 years, I already hype up every 2 years when football at least European football is at it's highest level, should the WC be held every 2 years, we would have a major tournament every year, that would be too much for me to handle, I don't think I could watch every match on TV anymore, as I'm still trying every time to watch every EC match and evry WC match.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Soccer (FIFA) should becareful. It will not lose the fans it has, it may gain even more, but interest and hype around games has started to decline, and will decline even moreso if they keep adding games to the schedule. The world cup is a sacred sporting event. It should not be compramised by stupidity from Blatter and his sidekicks!

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
World cup is a dream,
so it has to be every 4 years..that's the fun, every 2 years their will be no fun.....it will be a routine which will make it boring!!

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
forca independente em prol do grande corinthians
LEALDADE HUMILDADE E PROCEDIMENTO
THE ONLY WORLD CHAMPION EVER!!!

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
lads,
just think one thing.
imagine the world cup now in june. It's already 2 years after france 98. WOuld it not be a bit too much...to stressfull, less glamorous, easier for crap teams, less tense, less emotional..etc...
world cup every 4 years forevcer

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
forca independente em prol do grande corinthians
LEALDADE HUMILDADE E PROCEDIMENTO
THE ONLY WORLD CHAMPION EVER!!!

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
FIFA should never change the format. Every, four years is perfect. The anticipation and expectation, is what adds to the emotions that one attaches to the World Cup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts