Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a thread about those players who are missing out through injury.

After Robert Pires of France, England is given a big blow in their hopes for something good in the World Cup since their captain and arguably best player David Beckham was ruled out after an injury tonight. Other casualties include Ireland's starting Right Back Stephen Carr and Argentina's central defender Nelson Vivas, also a starter. Players who are on the edge: Roy Keane of Ireland, Massimo Ambrosini of Italy and Rui Costa of Portugal.

Add more players you know who are out through injuries. :depress:

Of coruse we're talking about important players...

This list will be updated...

CASUALTIES SO FAR:

David Beckham (England)
Robert Pires (France)
Stephen Carr (Ireland)
Nelson Vivas (Argentina)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Becham and Pires might recover in time. Vivas and Carr are definitively out.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nigeria's starting left back Ifeany Udeze fractured his arm today. He will miss whole preparation games of Nigeria so that makes him extremelly doubtfull for the World Cup.

·
The One and Only
1,650 Posts
Simão Sabrosa, Forward - Portugal Starting Player
Ricardo Sa Pinto, Forward - Portugal Bench
Both Injured and had sergury and will not be going to Korea

We will Miss Simão.

Rui Costa and his Injuries at AC MILAN Is not looking so good and might miss World Cup.
Hopefully he will take it easy at Milan and gets his spot on the team.

Nuno Gomes also twisted his ankle not to sure on how serious it is.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Well Vivas has said that he feels much better and still has a chance of going to the far east, and that the doctors are very optimistic about his progress.

And Japan's goalkeeper Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi is set to be fit in time for the World Cup on home soil despite injuring his knee in a training ground accident with his English First Division side Portsmouth last week.

By the way good thread AMO ;) It's always sad to see players injured before the World Cup and shattering their dreams for another 4 years, but I guess that is the harsh reality of life.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mexico's defencive midfielder and captain Francisco Juarez is also ruled out.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
Mexico's defencive midfielder and captain Francisco Juarez is also ruled out.

It'sClaudio Suarez, and he's a defender, he look as if he's not going to the WC, he's athe all time capped player for Mexico.....

God what i would give for Vivas to recover we need him on the right back side.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Portugal is losing alot of key players. We have lost a couple of players to injury and Portugal can't afford any more .

Key Players: Luis Figo, Rui Costa, Victor Baia, Nuno Gomes

Figo still recovering from the ankle injury though playing
Costa is having tons of problems and needs to take it easy
Baia just returned from an injury and we need him to start as goalie in the World Cup Finals, Ricardo is good but Baia is better(seriously)
Nuno Gomes injured his ankle, but is expected to recover, though he has not been producing big numbers for his club, he tends to come up big in international competition

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Portugal is in a terrible state at the moment with injuries. Hopefully a win over Brazil will do something for the teams confidence.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Yes and prove to the World that we have the same chance of winning the Cup as the favs.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Beckham is not out of the World Cup, he has about 10% chance of NOT playing....

Demetrio Albertini is definitelty out for Italy, he suffered an Achilles injury at the weekend.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah smartasses, but I posted just after Beckham's injury, when everyone was saying he is out... ;)

Updated list:

OUT

Robert Pires (France)
Simao Sabrosa (Portugal)
Claudio Suarez (Mexico)
Stephen Carr (Ireland)
Demetrio Albertini (Italy)
Nelson Vivas (Argentina)

DOUBTFULL

David Beckham (England)
Ifeanyi Udeze (Nigeria)
Yoshi Kawaguchi (Japan)

Keep us update people. ;)

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Eric Carriere is doubtful, as is Sergi. Shame to see so many great players missing the WC but i guess one players loss is anothers gain.

·
Registered
164 Posts
that's part of the job

What can I say, if your profession is to be a footballer, you can get injured. I remember when Maradona got his leg broken and the bastard (Goicochea) that did it didn't even say "I'm sorry". He was out cold for 4 months and the Argentine press didn't make a scandal about it.Injuries today have to do with the amount of games players have to play. I'm surprised that we in Argentina don't have more seriously injured players, being that FIFA allows players to join the national team with 48 hours of anticipation if I'm correct before official matches.Argentinians have a longer flight to take every time they had to play for the qualifying round, that means less sleep, less rest, and more injuries, right now we have Ayala, Crespo, Veron, Batistuta and until recently Simeone who never got a "get well" card and was injured by a dutch player, all these guys are going to miss the game against Germany and some of them will be fit some time in May.There is nothing we can do about this but pray that FIFA will be a little more considerate where all national team get the same amount of practice time so the level of the game is not hurt and everybody gets the same chance.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Italy's Gianluca Pessotto was injured yesterday during the friendly with Uruguay and he will miss the World Cup. :(

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
South African captain Lucas Radebee will make his first reserve team start fro Leeds tonight after an extended period out of the side due to knee and knee problems. Radebee, however is still not certain to be fit in time for the WC.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
It's just so disappointing to see all these injuries before the World Cup. It happens every WC. Some players are just completley shattered and a nation's hopes just crumble under them.

4 years is a very long time to wait for another shot at a WC, and it is very disappointing that in less than a second the dreams of a player or nation can go just like that.

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Saudi Arabia injuries:

Abdullah Sheehan, striker: Long term injury, missed all the games after the qualifiers. It's a shame coz he's one of the fastest and most extravagant strikers.

Ibraheem Maater, right midfield:also out, got injured in training. He won't get the chance to show off his dribbling skills.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts