Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Dalton Report: World Cup Awards
News Archive

Two of the stars of the World Cup (Allsport)
07/02/2002. Frings ain't what they used to be but Ronaldo shows up the weakest Linke

As the curtain draws down on the football festival, it's time to reflect on the tournament. Brazil were more than worthy winners in the end and I was glad to see one of the most talented players show his stuff and banish his demons of France 1998, that player was of course, Ronaldo.

There were shocks, surprises and I think the most blatant amount of cheating and referee balls-ups in the game's history. Rivaldo will never be mentioned in the same breath as Pele even though he has equal talent, Pele never cheated in the way that Rivaldo did in getting Hakan Unsal sent off, which is the single most disgraceful thing I have ever seen in my life. So on to the awards and the first ever Dalton Awards given out for excellence and the quite unusual.

Best Player: Ronaldo (Brazil)

The most lethal striker in the world certainly did his reputation no harm in bagging 8 goals, one of the highest totals ever, looked cool and composed in taking his 2 goals against Germany and will banish France 98 for good. Second place would go to Hasan Sas who's performance reminded me of Ivan Zamorano's heroics for Chile in France, Sas was instumental in Turkey's 3rd Place, and my vote for third place goes to Damien Duff

Worst Player: Hakan Sukur (Turkey)

Stroll On!! I actually think if you put me in a Turkey shirt I would of tucked a few away against Senegal, one of the favourites for the Golden Boot certainly put his transfer value down a few noughts, looks certain to be replaced by Mansiz in future years.The Performance against Senegal to be one of the worst ive seen, he looked devoid of confidence and he was at least half a yard short in terms of pace. It's a shame because he has been a fabulous ambassador to Turkish Football

Surprise Package(s): Senegal, Ireland, USA, Mexico, South Korea, Turkey.

All these teams had no real chance going into the tournament, but Senegal beat France, Ireland quailified to the Second Phase, USA should of been in the Semi- Final, Mexico qualified easily and should of really beaten Italy, South Korea captured everyone's hearts even though it was under a cloud, and Turkey finished 3rd in a world cup they never really thought they would challenge.

Moment of the World Cup: DeMarcus Beesley Taking a Slash

Anyone brave enough to whip it out and urinate on the sideline deserves some kind of mention.

Team of The Tournament:
1. Oliver Kahn
2. Hong-Myung Bo
3. Tony Sanneh
4. Rio Ferdinand
5. Ferdinand Coly
6. Rivaldo
7. Damien Duff
8. Gilberto Silva
9. Hasan Sas
10. Ronaldo
11. Michael Ballack

I look forward to hearing replies to this subject, remember for all the summer gossip, log on to www.soccerage.com and I will be back next week with some juicy transfer gossip!!

Keep It Football!!

soccerage ;)

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
i don't think Hakan Sukur is the worst, that's impossible, he played a very good last match in the third place play off, and you've got to remember that he scored the fastest goal in the World Cup history of just 11sec . so i think he does deserves some credit

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
The worst player of the World Cup: Joint between Thierry Henry and David Trezeguet.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
The best: Ronaldo, u dont score 8 goals in 7 matches, make your team win the whoe enchilada and then have some bald guys with fat ass and nice suits telling you man you finish second after Khan. :mad: consolation prize

The worse: Henry and Veron photo finish if Sukur would have not scocored that fast goal, he was probably in line for wosre player ever. ;)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Alarich said:
i don't think Hakan Sukur is the worst, that's impossible, he played a very good last match in the third place play off, and you've got to remember that he scored the fastest goal in the World Cup history of just 11sec . so i think he does deserves some credit

Obviously that was the only Turkey game you watched :rolleyes:

And I bet you wouldn't have watched it if Korea wasn't playing.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
If there was an award for best failed try to get in to knock-out round it would surely go to Portugal-playing with 10 men is hard 9 is suicide. And the fact that the last few minutes could have been cheering moments from a great goal attempt only to almost be in and bounce out. In my mind Portugal will always have made it to the quarters.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Alter Ego said:
The best: Ronaldo, u dont score 8 goals in 7 matches, make your team win the whoe enchilada and then have some bald guys with fat ass and nice suits telling you man you finish second after Khan. :mad: consolation prize
See that pisses me off because people don't understand the importance of a good goal keeper. If any player has to go through the most trauma it is always the goal keeper, the feeling of not knowing when the next attack will come and whether you will be smart enough and quick enough to block it. It's almost a scary feeling.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Kahn deserved it and thats it. He's the main reason Germany made it that far. The Germans had some outstanding games, where their offence was impressive. If Germany played a different goal keeper against the U.S.A, I'd bet your ass that the U.S.A would have won 2 - 0.

Ronaldo is a great player, we all know that. But come on... he has the biggest advantage over every superstar in the tournament. He has Rivaldo,Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Elder, and young star Ronaldinho to back him up. Basically alot of superstars. So if one has a bad day, it won't matter, too much talent.

Germany is a great side, but without Kahn they wouldn't be as great.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Agreed

Yes. Even though ronaldo scored the most goals, Kahn saved more goals than Ronaldo scored. And his contribution to his team was more important and crucial.

I am glad that you guys are giving the rest of the German team credit. They were not ordinary by any means. Well said F1soccer and soccerstar.

Yes, I think that like Spain,even Portugal are unlucky in tournaments like this. I remember Euro 96 when they payed some breathtaking football (which would have made the current Brazil team look like schoolboys) but still they lost in a facile manner to the Czechs.

I really hope they can regain composure for Portugal2004.

cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts