Xtratime Community banner
161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Hi guys, long time no see :p Hope you all doing alright.

I needed to find my old password just to say this. In my 32 years of life I have never seen Serbian NT in football to play like this. Piksi completely changed mentality of our NT. I don't know if we are going to the next WC, I must admit that group is very hard with Portugal who won't spill points, but this is direction what our football need to follow. The big problem is that seems Piksi is the only coach with Serbian passport who look at football with eyes like this. All of them need to learn from this, this should be taken as some kind of turning point in Serbian football and that's why I think it is important for us to go at next WC, cause then everybody will look at this with more credit, though this deserves credit already.
Waited until after the game to comment on this but I agree! Love the way we play under Piksi and hope he stays in charge for a long time regardless of what happens in November and possibly March.

Nice to not have to complain about squad selections and who's starting for the first time. Things could be better, especially defensively, but there's a positivity around the team now.

·
Registered
41,078 Posts
Good win in the end. Some observations:

• Vlaho is something else. A different kind of beast. Has that fire to him that's needed to become a great, something Jovic lacks (for now)
  • Very glad to have Nastasic back, he's our best defender, and it's a shame his international career has been short so far. Good to see Piksi recognize his role as well, by giving him the armband
  • Lazo's story is one of a player lacking end product. He does a lot of things well, but usually messes up at the end. Frustrating to watch
  • Veljkovic is a very good back-up to have. Could do better here and there, but is very solid and good on the ball
  • Lukic-Grujic lacked Gudelj's defensive stability, but I liked the tempo to their game. Both are definitely more elegant midfielders, but still I'd stick with Gudelj for now

Shame we couldn't finish most of our chances. Could have given Portugal a run for their money if we were clinical tonight. But in order for us not to need that win in Lisbon, Ireland have to beat Portugal in Dublin. Too much to ask for sadly.

I don't expect a miracle in Lisbon, but Piksi has restored our confidence in the NT and has me believing in better days. Looking at most of the tables in qualifying, I see us being favourites against a big majority of the current second placed sides. If we can just make it to this WC, I can see us doing well there and even better at the next EC, as long as Piksi stays of course.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Good to see this forum hasnt completely died (y)

Piksi bringing some interest back to the NT but this playoff format looks ugly. We will need to navigate 2 teams to qualify, instead of just the 1 over 2 legs. I dont like our chances like this in all honesty as the howlers that are still prevalent in our displays can be the difference here. Not only could it be disappointing but fuckin painful at the same time.

I hope Piksi goes balls out in Portugal and we avoid the above scenario.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
  • Very glad to have Nastasic back, he's our best defender, and it's a shame his international career has been short so far. Good to see Piksi recognize his role as well, by giving him the armband
Nastasic's return to the NT is one of the recent positives. Hope he and Milenkovic can develop a partnership with each other in Fiorentina and that Matija stays injury-free 🤞. I think both are guaranteed to start against Portugal so the only question is who joins them as the third CB. Pavlovic has been the regular there and gives us a dynamic option bringing the ball out from the back but he's prone to leaving space for the attackers which Portugal could exploit. I guess Veljkovic is the main alternative there.

But in order for us not to need that win in Lisbon, Ireland have to beat Portugal in Dublin. Too much to ask for sadly.
At least they're in good form now. They beat Qatar 4-0 today and Azerbaijan 3-0 awat few days ago. They were 10 mins away from beating them in Portugal last time but I agree that it seems too much to ask.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Good to see this forum hasnt completely died (y)

Piksi bringing some interest back to the NT but this playoff format looks ugly. We will need to navigate 2 teams to qualify, instead of just the 1 over 2 legs. I dont like our chances like this in all honesty as the howlers that are still prevalent in our displays can be the difference here. Not only could it be disappointing but fuckin painful at the same time.

I hope Piksi goes balls out in Portugal and we avoid the above scenario.
Nice to see you back and posting DD :cool:

Beating two solid teams in a row seems like a tough ask knowing how inconsistent we are. We might as well go for it against Portugal, although that's a tough result for any team in the world to get.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts

Beating two solid teams in a row seems like a tough ask knowing how inconsistent we are. We might as well go for it against Portugal, although that's a tough result for any team in the world to get.
Look at it this way if the Croats had to win in Lisbon they could do the job. Hate to admit it but we must be ruthless like them. They are no better than us as far as skill is concerned but mentally they are at the next level and are arrogantly relentless when they play for their country.

Piksi is instilling this type of mentality. Miha tried but his man management skills were too abrasive for the last generation to absorb.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Look at it this way if the Croats had to win in Lisbon they could do the job. Hate to admit it but we must be ruthless like them. They are no better than us as far as skill is concerned but mentally they are at the next level and are arrogantly relentless when they play for their country.

Piksi is instilling this type of mentality. Miha tried but his man management skills were too abrasive for the last generation to absorb.
They definitely have a better mentality against the big teams than we do but Croatia's record against Portugal is terrible (6 losses, 1 draw).

But I agree with your point in general. We shouldn't even be thinking about playoffs when things are still in our hands - no matter how talented Portugal may be.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
They definitely have a better mentality against the big teams than we do but Croatia's record against Portugal is terrible (6 losses, 1 draw).

But I agree with your point in general. We shouldn't even be thinking about playoffs when things are still in our hands - no matter how talented Portugal may be.
Every national team has a bogey team. Portugal is theirs. Ours used to be Germany.

Piksi is the greatest player we have ever produced. Not the best career but in my opinion the greatest player of them all. I’m thinking he will also be our greatest ever coach.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Every national team has a bogey team. Portugal is theirs. Ours used to be Germany.

Piksi is the greatest player we have ever produced. Not the best career but in my opinion the greatest player of them all. I’m thinking he will also be our greatest ever coach.
It's all good now mate. We got Swajni support. :cool:

Smile Photograph World Green Organism

·
Registered
5,929 Posts

Thanks bro, good to see you still here with RB, Krle, Fleka etc even though its nowhere near as active as back in the day.

Hopefully Piksi gets us to the WC though otherwise see you guys in 2 years :LOL:

161 - 170 of 170 Posts