Xtratime Community banner
121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
41,078 Posts
Haha, exactly my thoughts! Every time you think Piksi can't possibly go more attacking, he comes up with an even crazier plan.

Worked like a charm versus Luxembourg and I don't rate Ireland much higher than them tbh. But focus, motivation, concentration, etc. all come into play and that's where we usually fall short.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Didn't think it was possible to fit Mitrovic, Vlahovic, Tadic, Djuricic, SMS, and Kostic all in the same lineup! Djuricic as a wingback is an interesting experiment... :D

Hope it doesn't leave us too unbalanced and exposed but everything Piksi's tried has worked out well thus far

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Sms with the header off the corner kick from Tadic.. 20th minute

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
HT 1-0.

·
Registered
41,078 Posts
Another very good half, even with this - on paper - unbalanced side. You get the feeling we can get dangerous at any moment and there were some attacks that could've been handled better, but overall a very positive feeling after this half. So mature compared to Serbian sides of the past. It really is a great feeling to know we're not crazy, there is quality in this side and it's finally showing on the pitch.

Need a win here however if we want to keep our hopes of direct qualification alive. So come on boys, one more goal at least with our defensive record so far.

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ own goal in the 86th minute. Sms kicks it and hits Milenkovic and goes in 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
1-1 disastrous end, could have lost it too...

Vlahovic and Mitrovic do not work well together. Hard to bench either of them.

·
Registered
41,078 Posts
Fucking hell, these guys wouldn't have scored if we played on for 3 days. Such a typical Serbian way to give away a win that you fully deserved. We should have buried at least one of our many chances, even if their goalkeeper seems to be a top talent.

Needed that win. I believe in a draw in Portugal, but not a win, so unless the Irish repeat this during game day 7, we're going to the playoffs.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Fucking hell, these guys wouldn't have scored if we played on for 3 days. Such a typical Serbian way to give away a win that you fully deserved. We should have buried at least one of our many chances, even if their goalkeeper seems to be a top talent.
We're guaranteed to make at least one major screwup per match. A clean sheet seems to be out of the question, regardless of the opponent.

I'll give their supporters a lot of credit though. They've had some poor results this campaign but the fans were there cheering them on to the end. No we wouldn't see the same if roles were reversed.

Needed that win. I believe in a draw in Portugal, but not a win, so unless the Irish repeat this during game day 7, we're going to the playoffs.
Even if the Irish draw against the Portuguese, we need the goal differential to go our way as well which might be difficult given their 3-0 win today. In all likelihood, a win in Portugal will probably be needed to qualify directly. Not a fan of the playoff format either (two one leg matches). Need a lot of luck to get through.

·
Registered
41,078 Posts
Definitely right about the Irish fans and our fuckups. Two guarantees in life. If we had 1 point from 4 games, there'd be 12 people in the stadium. 😂

Yeah, I am counting on us spanking both Luxembourg and Azerbaijan, this current side has a lot of goals in them. Don't like the play-off format either, but with Piksi at the helm I do feel more secure than with Tumba. His confidence and charisma seems to be rubbing off on the squad. Long way to go though, so let's just focus on next month, take the 6 points and keep the pressure on.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
True, I think the level of play under Piksi has been a huge improvement. Even this game would be looked at positively if it wasn't for the mistake at the end. Other than the missed oppurtunities and the space that we gave the Irish at times (a consequence of how we set up), there wasn't a lot to complain about. So I'm hoping we can continue the positive trajectory and shake off this disappointing result.

On the bright side, Portugal will have to play Ireland away a few days before their match against us while we will have the friendly with Qatar, which adds a little more pressure on them in the final matchdays.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Shows how quickly things can turn around too. Portugal were a few minutes away from losing/drawing against the Irish last week, while we ended up dropping points today in a game we had almost complete control of.

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
0-0 at halftime vs Luxembourg.

This combination of players is not doing a good job at all. Making too many passing errors that would have been severely punished if Luxembourg was a better team.

Tadic could have had a pk at the end of the half as their gk purposely kicked him when he went down to make a save.

Mitrovic and Vlahovic can not play together. Piksi is blind if he doesn't see this.

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Vlahovic with a goal in the 68th minute. Veljkovic made the pass from the half line to Vlahovic to run on to and he easily put it past the gk

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
We didn't look sharp this game at all so I'll take the win. But 1-0 isn't going to help our goal differential in the event that Portugal drops points against Ireland. Would have been nice to finish one of the other chances we had today.

·
Registered
41,078 Posts
Very sloppy indeed, but a good sign is that we could've scored 5 here and still won, despite the seemingly low energy level.

Portugal have 3 'tougher' fixtures left. Lux at home, Ireland away and us of course. Our only, but best chance to make up GD is our next game. Hopefully we come out focused.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Very sloppy indeed, but a good sign is that we could've scored 5 here and still won, despite the seemingly low energy level.

Portugal have 3 'tougher' fixtures left. Lux at home, Ireland away and us of course. Our only, but best chance to make up GD is our next game. Hopefully we come out focused.
In order to have the goal differential advantage going into the last two matchdays, we will have to beat Azerbaijan by 1 more goal than Portugal beats Luxembourg by. I pesonally can't see Luxembourg getting a result in Portugal although stranger things have happened. Ireland away seems the more likely game for Portugal to slip up.

·
Registered
41,078 Posts
In order to have the goal differential advantage going into the last two matchdays, we will have to beat Azerbaijan by 1 more goal than Portugal beats Luxembourg by. I pesonally can't see Luxembourg getting a result in Portugal although stranger things have happened. Ireland away seems the more likely game for Portugal to slip up.
Yeah, I agree, Ireland is our best shot and I can see us scoring one more than the Portuguese Vs Luxembourg. I expect them to win by 2 goals max. and us by 3.

Either way, the most important thing is we set up that final in Lisbon, and we're pretty damn close to that. With Piksi I believe we can.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
If we come second it’s a very convoluted process with the play offs. Aren’t there like 3 mini tournaments and only 3 get through?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi guys, long time no see :p Hope you all doing alright.

I needed to find my old password just to say this. In my 32 years of life I have never seen Serbian NT in football to play like this. Piksi completely changed mentality of our NT. I don't know if we are going to the next WC, I must admit that group is very hard with Portugal who won't spill points, but this is direction what our football need to follow. The big problem is that seems Piksi is the only coach with Serbian passport who look at football with eyes like this. All of them need to learn from this, this should be taken as some kind of turning point in Serbian football and that's why I think it is important for us to go at next WC, cause then everybody will look at this with more credit, though this deserves credit already.

121 - 140 of 170 Posts