Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The draw for the 2022 World Cup qualifiers was made today.

Portugal
Serbia
Ireland
Luxembourg
Azerbaijan

Kosovo was drawn but put in group B

Reactions: marakana11

·
Registered
41,065 Posts
Not an easy group by any means, but with the right coach we should have a chance to finish top 2. I know our results have been poor, but Ireland haven't won a game since November 2019. They lost to Finland twice in that period and drew Bulgaria twice as well.

Luxembourg have improved and are to be taken seriously and Azerbaijan could spoil anyone's run.

Not much to say about Portugal. They're great right now and anything we get from those 2 games is a bonus.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
I can’t see us getting through. We may jag second place and then choke with whoever we draw.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,496 Posts
I can’t see us getting through. We may jag second place and then choke with whoever we draw.
Worse thing is, they've gotten rid of the two legged play-off for 2nd placed teams. That means change. The ten 2nd placed sides will be joined by the top two ranked UEFA Nations League countries that have not qualified via the groups for a total of 12 teams. They will split the 12 teams into 3 groups of 4, and the four teams will play out two one-legged semis, and one final to decide the four countries that qualify. In other words, they are replacing the two legged playoff for 2nd placed teams with the format UEFA used for the UEFA Euro playoffs in which we beat Norway and then lost to Scotland. So, if we finish second (a big if), we will have to face two different teams to qualify for the World Cup in must win matches.

The only way I see us qualifying is if the FSS hires Vladan Milojevic. He is the only Serbian manager at the minute that I could see getting something out of this squad. The reason I say this is because, like Muslin, he knows how to play tactically when coming up against better opposition. I could almost see us finishing first in the group if we start well. We have the talent. I don't believe Paunovic or Ivic will come because they've started really well in the Championship with Reading and Watford. Both clubs are in the top 6 and playing well. The only other name I think might be in the running is Slavisa Jokanovic. Other than those two managers, not sure who else can lead us (watch it be Nemanja :D). Also, I can't see us qualifying with a foreigner at the helm.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Worse thing is, they've gotten rid of the two legged play-off for 2nd placed teams. That means change. The ten 2nd placed sides will be joined by the top two ranked UEFA Nations League countries that have not qualified via the groups for a total of 12 teams. They will split the 12 teams into 3 groups of 4, and the four teams will play out two one-legged semis, and one final to decide the four countries that qualify. In other words, they are replacing the two legged playoff for 2nd placed teams with the format UEFA used for the UEFA Euro playoffs in which we beat Norway and then lost to Scotland. So, if we finish second (a big if), we will have to face two different teams to qualify for the World Cup in must win matches.

The only way I see us qualifying is if the FSS hires Vladan Milojevic. He is the only Serbian manager at the minute that I could see getting something out of this squad. The reason I say this is because, like Muslin, he knows how to play tactically when coming up against better opposition. I could almost see us finishing first in the group if we start well. We have the talent. I don't believe Paunovic or Ivic will come because they've started really well in the Championship with Reading and Watford. Both clubs are in the top 6 and playing well. The only other name I think might be in the running is Slavisa Jokanovic. Other than those two managers, not sure who else can lead us (watch it be Nemanja :D). Also, I can't see us qualifying with a foreigner at the helm.
Having the WC qualifiers next year makes not qualifying for the Euros less painful. Besides the Euros will have empty stadiums and Qatar will ensure everyone gets the vaccine for 2022.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,496 Posts
Having the WC qualifiers next year makes not qualifying for the Euros less painful. Besides the Euros will have empty stadiums and Qatar will ensure everyone gets the vaccine for 2022.
Haha Fleka, funny as usual for Qatar. Also, a bit random, but where do you live in Australia? I know a fella in Adelaide who does the Serbian football podcast. I met him during my trip to Russia for WC 2018.

Here's their latest episode. It's made by 4 guys... one lives in Toronto I believe, one in Washington DC, my friend Velemir in Adelaide, and then another guy who lives in Belgrade. Some funny stuff at times. He's also a pretty big supporter of the Adelaide Serbian football club, FK Beograd. Has been telling me they're doing big things this season.

Also, totally agree regarding next summer. Would be nice to enjoy WC 2022 with actual fans.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Haha Fleka, funny as usual for Qatar. Also, a bit random, but where do you live in Australia? I know a fella in Adelaide who does the Serbian football podcast. I met him during my trip to Russia for WC 2018.

Here's their latest episode. It's made by 4 guys... one lives in Toronto I believe, one in Washington DC, my friend Velemir in Adelaide, and then another guy who lives in Belgrade. Some funny stuff at times. He's also a pretty big supporter of the Adelaide Serbian football club, FK Beograd. Has been telling me they're doing big things this season.

Also, totally agree regarding next summer. Would be nice to enjoy WC 2022 with actual fans.

I live in Sydney. And thanks for the link.

I have concerns about the local Serbian team here in Sydney. They have always had dramas but Bonnyrigg White Eagles are now entrenched in the second tier of the state comp despite winning everything in the top tier less than 5 years ago.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,496 Posts
I live in Sydney. And thanks for the link.

I have concerns about the local Serbian team here in Sydney. They have always had dramas but Bonnyrigg White Eagles are now entrenched in the second tier of the state comp despite winning everything in the top tier less than 5 years ago.
That sucks Fleka. I hope they can figure it out. How connected is the Australian diaspora?

In regards to a coach, any coaches you guys favor?

·
dinamo67
10,339 Posts
Nice, Aussie football talk. 😁 Fleka did you celebrate when Sydney United won the chip this year? :D

I'm sure Bonnyrigg will come back to the first division some time in the near future. They might even let us play each other with spectators by the time that happens hehe.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I didn't look at dates of the matches but any chance we don't face a portugal full squad who might be pacing themselves for the euros

·
Zeko lopove...
7,496 Posts

·
Registered
5,403 Posts

·
Zeko lopove...
7,496 Posts
Thanks for this Fleka... I think it's quite obvious that the first 3 matches in March will decide whether we have a chance for the World Cup or not. I'd stay more grounded, but knowing our history, a good start is vital, otherwise we will face an uphill battle, which pretty much means we don't give a ....

We face Ireland and Portugal at home, and then Azerbaijan away. I'd say 7 points from those 3 fixtures would be a minor miracle. Realistically, 6 points would be great.

I'm predicting with some of my friends that Vladan Milojevic will be hired by the end of the year. That will be our 'gift' for bozic from the FSS. Then it's all over to Milojevic to do his magic in 3 months. It will be tough though... 3 matches in 7 days. That's hard for any team, let alone us.

·
Registered
41,065 Posts
I believe in Miloje though. He can turn us into a Scotland. Not pretty, but effective when it matters most. Let's just hope he gets the job and we don't end up with Savo or some foreign hasbeen.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,496 Posts
I believe in Miloje though. He can turn us into a Scotland. Not pretty, but effective when it matters most. Let's just hope he gets the job and we don't end up with Savo or some foreign hasbeen.
It will be Javier Clemente. :D

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
60K euros per year? Does he have a taxi job on the side? :D

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dragan Stojkovic had finally taken over the NT. Hopefully he leads them to a World Cup title 🤗

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Dragan Stojkovic had finally taken over the NT. Hopefully he leads them to a World Cup title
Great news. Should have happened years ago. Welcome home Piksi!!

1 - 20 of 169 Posts