Xtratime Community banner

Who will with this World Cup 2022 Qatar Qualifying match?

• Russia by 2+ goals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw With Goals (1-1, 2-2, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
There are a lot of reasons why it is that our wingers go to the middle. First I would say they are not that great at dribbling if you compare them to the best dribblers. Pjaca for example in his days with Dinamo made me question where his celing would be. Because he did most with the power he had. It was more his strenght and speed then real dribble quality that made him go past players. Then it also was clear he could be blind in seeing his teammates and the pitch. My point is, Pjaca was never as good as most of us thought. Even before his injury.
Brekalo is someone who simply hasnt got the body for the top. Like I already wrote, I watched him so often that I came to the conclusion that his dribbles are also not really worth mentioning. When he is on the wing he isnt able to go to the corner and beat the left back of the opposition so he goes to the middle.
Rebic is in fact a clumsy player. Also does a lot on strength, less with finesse. Not a great dribbler in my oppinion.
Vlasic can dribble, he is good not great at it. But Vlasic together with his good dribbling also has a lot of other qualities. Sees the field, good vision, strenght and scores goals. Our best goalscorer. BUt even he is not a real winger. More for the middle. Maybe its even an idea to play without a true striker and play with Vlasic in the hole, with two fast guys around him.
Kramaric can dribble, but its never on full speed but standing in his place. He cant dribble with power vertically. Would be a good futsal player. Hasnt got the physique.
Ivanusec can be compared with Vlasic in that they both have good speed, a good dribble and good defenisive awareness. Both dynamic players. Thats what we need. They are the ones that have both things. Rebic and Pjaca was more power than finess. Brekalo and Kramaric have more finess than power.
Livajas career has been strange and I ask myself if he had a diferent mentality maybe he would have a better carreer. He has the power and some finesse. I think he could help us. BUt he is also more a player for the middle, not for the wings.

The only one I have seen that can be a real winger is Biuk. Very light on the feet. Great with the ball at his feet and has good speed.

I also think our middle is a blessing and a curse. Our stars play in the middle so it is to be expected that play will happen in the middle most of the time.
What also hasnt helped is that our left and right back, who should help the wingers getting to the line by getting high up themselves, were not really good, too young or were cbs these last 3 years.
Would it help if we switched to 3atb and had guys like Sosa, Bradaric and Juranovic bombing down the sides? You are right, Perisic is our only effective winger/wide player while everyone else is best suited to playing centrally so why not switch things up and let the players do what they are best at? Admittedly I haven't watched a lot of Sosa but from what I read and hear, he is much better going forward than he is defensively. Same with Juranovic, lightning quick with great control and movement but not the best defensively.

For example.

Livakovic

Caleta-Car -- Lovren -- Gvardiol

Juranovic -- Modric -- Brozovic -- Sosa

Vlasic -- Pasalic/Perisic

Budimir/Petkovic/Kramaric

Worth trying out at the very least.

·
dinamo67
9,925 Posts
Yep similar lineup to what Suho posted before. I would definitely like to try something like that. I just want to be done with Lovren though. My preferred back 3 would include Uremovic - Caleta Car - Gvardiol.

·
Registered
HNK Rijeka, Croatian National Team
6,869 Posts
if i am looking at players who have not maxed out their capabilities; then i am looking at Petar Musa, Daniel Stefulj, Ivan Nevistic and Dario Spikic. 3 of the 4 have moved to Dinamo Zagreb and i am wondering how that team will look with those guys in that squad.I am hoping that these former U21 players can show some growth in the next season or 2 at Dinamo.
I saw a lot of Nevistic and Stefulj the last few years at Rijeka. I think Nevistic has a higher ceiling in that if he continues to progress, I could see him eventually becoming a part of the repka. Maybe being our #2 in a few years, depending on what happens with Livakovic and Grbic. Stefulj I'm torn about. Played great prior to his transfer being annouced and then once it was announced, his play was all over the place. I think his ceiling is being a fringe NT player, kinda like a Pivaric type but I could also see him becoming a HNL journeyman. Also, LB is a spot of depth now (maybe for the first time in NT history) for us with Sosa, Bradaric and Barisic. I don't see him passing Sosa or Bradaric at this point. Maybe I'll be wrong.

Reactions: Nepoznat

·
Registered
84 Posts
Anyway, I think Sulla touched on this prior to the tournament. With these modern 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 formations you need really good full-backs. At the very least capable ones who do a tonne of running. It's not so much a problem that our wingers prefer to come in but rather our full-backs aren't pushing up effectively and making the most of the space that opens up when the wingers cut in. If Gvardiol did anything right this tourney it was his willingness to push on when the opportunity arose. Obviously, he's not anywhere near an elite full-back but even he was able to cause problems and came close to scoring a couple of times. Top quality full-backs are always putting that pressure on opponents. We don't have that at the moment which often means our wingers are forced to play it back or sideways and potential opportunities are wasted.
I agree, thats a great tactical assessment of things. With that being said the 3-4-3 is best formation in world football nowadays. We have been a mess defensively for 3 years, makes sense to add an extra defender and a double pivot in the middle of the park. Your wing backs are essentially attackers and with an extra CB they wouldn't have to exert as much energy tracking back as if they were fullbacks in a 4.

Chelsea went from 10-12th in the EPL to winning the CL and finishing top 5 making these exact adjustments. Same players. That's how important the right coach and tactics are.

I think this is why we tend to struggle against defensive (or average) teams. Not suggesting we should be blowing teams off the park but we have to play quicker and take more risks. We're often too content with just holding possession and waiting for something to open up. The March qualifiers were particularly painful.
This reminded me of this...Ivan Jurić za ‘Slobodnu‘ komentira nastup Hrvatske: Obrana je spora, a napadu koji igra na kontre ne paše tika-taka vezni red

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sucic has a chance to be a top player. Real good technique, great size, and seems to read the game very well. Aaronson took his spot last year because he is better off the ball and he fit in better with Marsh's system. I think he may be a bit too passive and would like to see him want to influence the game more if I’m being critical but a legit top talent imho.
I tried to watch him a few times but he was only on for the last 10/20 minutes. Have not seen enough to judge him properly. What I did see was that he has a great left foot and can score goals from midfield. Was hoping to see him in the u21 but he was injured. At least it says something that someone that young has been able to make the first team. Will watch him closely this year.
@Dalmatino @croato or anyone planning to watch Sucic: much obliged if you would update us about his performance at RBS! If he progresses well, I expect to see him with the repka during the Euro 2024 cycle. Hvala! :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
If we had to stay in a 4-3-3 wold LOVE to see this in September.

Sosa, Gvardiol, DCC, Juranovic -Broz, Jakic -Kova- Vlasic, Majer, Budimir

Defensively disciplined, guys who will run, very technical, fullbacks that can and want to play in the final third, and a physical CF that wants to play with his back to goal and get on the end of crosses.... very balanced team right here.

·
Registered
825 Posts

Defensively disciplined, guys who will run, very technical, fullbacks that can and want to play in the final third, and a physical CF that wants to play with his back to goal and get on the end of crosses.... very balanced team right here.
Think it’s possible you see this lineup after the World Cup but not before. Other problems is there is not natural wingers in this lineup or pace. Maybe go with three at the back with Sosa and Juranovic as wing backs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Think it’s possible you see this lineup after the World Cup but not before. Other problems is there is not natural wingers in this lineup or pace. Maybe go with three at the back with Sosa and Juranovic as wing backs.
Think of it like this. Perisic and Rebic are faster than Majer and Vlasic. I would put the farm on the latter two being able to more consistently get past guys 1v1, especially in tight spaces.. The fullbacks would play a huge role in this type of setup to give the team width. Sosa and Juranovic have the pace and quality needed to make it work.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts

Agree with Spidey on this one. First point, let's hold off till at least the end of the WC cycle before we leave out Modrić and Perišić (the latter is certain to be there if we qualify).

To Spidey's point, if you're going to use Sosa and Juranović a better fit is in a back three. On the other hand, these two probably are our best full backs at the moment so would likely be included in a 4-3-3 (if we ignore Sosa's situation).

Does Jakić deserve to be ahead of Bašić and even Rog (when fit, obviously)? If we're looking for that type I'd go with the guy who has experience in a better league. Watched Bašić much more than Jakić, so I could be missing something.

Vlašić can pinch-hit wide but I'm not convinced about Majer overall, let alone as a wide player. Technically good but the running and physicality is a big minus for me.

That said, for this particular XI with one change you can make it a more interesting proposition.

Going along with the theme of avoiding vets, Urem gets a start in a 3-4-2-1.

Uremović, DCC, Gvardiol - Juranović, Kovačić, Brozović, Sosa - Majer, Vlašić - Budimir.

Less defensive responsibility for the full-backs/wing-backs, use Majer and Vlašić in more natural positions and, to me at least, it looks a lot better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like your lineup as well.

I watched a lot of Basic this past year, and was a bit underwhelmed. A bit too streaky and fails to impose himself on the match too often imo. When he's not involved on the ball his overall game drops. Rog is a guy that has the physical tools, but I think he's missing it above the shoulders.

What I like about Jakic is he is constantly working, and he brings much more physicality than a Basic but I think he's tactically sharper than a Rog at the same time.

In your lineup, Vlasic and Majer wouldn't really be "wide" players though if Juranovic and Sosa are doing their jobs. Last point, Majer to me is physically superior than someone like Kramaric and his limitations are never brought up. Not only is Krama slow and weak, he plays soft as well. Majer to me has more concrete in him.

·
Registered
70,095 Posts
Valery Karpin is the new Russia manager, interestingly he only signed a six month contract but if they qualify it will be extended

81 - 94 of 94 Posts