Xtratime Community banner

Who will with this World Cup 2022 Qatar Qualifying match?

21 - 40 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Probably a bit too early to try and experiment for the Russia game but would anyone else like to see a back 3? Seems more and more international teams are playing 3atb. Something like

Livakovic

Caleta-Car -- Lovren -- Gvardiol

Juranovic -- Kovacic -- Brozovic -- Sosa/Bradaric

Vlasic -- Mr X -- Orsic

This is assuming Modric retires

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Probably a bit too early to try and experiment for the Russia game but would anyone else like to see a back 3? Seems more and more international teams are playing 3atb. Something like

Livakovic

Vlasic -- Mr X -- Orsic

Perisic?

·
Registered
139 Posts

Livakovic

Vlasic -- Mr X -- Orsic

I think Perisic where Juranovic is if it's three at the back. I would also go Sosa>Brada at wingback but prob Brada > Sosa as a fullback in a 4 man backline.

I think Mr. X should be Budimir for a few matches at the very least. Not sure Orsic would work in this setup with Sosa on that flank either. Would love to see Vlasic and Majer in a slightly freer role behind target man Budimir. Could also play Vlasic centrally behind Budimir and a roaming Pasalic(Kramaric) as a pair.

Lots of options I say.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Dalic has already made a comment that he's considering a back three for the upcoming qualifiers/WC. When, where and how will be interesting.

·
dinamo67
10,166 Posts
Maybe something like that is worth giving a shot.

I'm a Petkovic fan boy but I feel Budimir and Kramaric upfront together compliment each other. Now both missed excellent chances vs Spain so that needs fixing. I know everyone's feeling with Kramaric. But we're really thin up front.

I'm over the Sosa thing lol. If he apologizes and all that then why not. He'll be useful at LWB. Perisic can play both sides. Only thing he's getting older so not sure if he's willing to run even more. Brekalo needs to find another club. He's excellent going forward, but defensively we've seen him flop hard. But with 3 defenders at the back, that will help hide his defensive deficiencies.

I'm also over the Lovren Vida partnership. Time we move on. Uremovic has shown promise when he's played. Alongside CC and Gvardiol I believe can be quite strong for a number of years. We have depth at that position, so maybe we'll see others like Pongracic or Sutalo fight for a starting position.

Vlasic, Broz and Kova are standard.

Off the bench we got a bunch of difference makers that can come on including, Pasalic, Ivansuec, Petkovic, Brekalo, Orsic etc. I'd imagine when Modric and Badelj (i'm assuming) retire from the NT, it will make way for guys like Basic, Moro, Majer to get regular call ups to the A team.

·
No pain - No gain.
4,568 Posts
I would like to see Dalic testing new things like this. I'm bored to see us playing all the time the same football (predictable football) with our trio, full of genius players (as Rebic has said).

I want to see something new, with new players. I want to see a team with more dynamic, more pressing, more aggressivity. And I would really love to see our coach have the courage to add some new players on the bench too.

For me, it's time for an entire rebuild. The rebuild we needed before this Euro...

I want to see guys like, Grbic, Vizinger, Musa, Jakic, Basic, Majer, Sutalo, Franjic and Co...

I'm really bored to see always the same players playing the same type of play, with coaches only playing the same type of football. As I (and Rebic) said, yes, we have a wonderful trio but we need to be able to play other type of play when needed. With pressing, or players able to defend during 90 mins with full of effort.

And I want to see others players took their chance in this NT, it's now or never!

If we're waiting the next cycle after the World Cup to come, guys like Ivanusec, Majer or Jakic will be around 25/26 years old... and for me, it's too late, and this is a waste of time and talents.

Here I wanted to include fresh bloods in the team, like Erlic who I'm considering very interesting. And continue to play with Gvardiol on the left side depsite the fact that he's basically a central defender. He showed that he's able to play comfortably there. Very skilled, fast and able to play with both foots. In the middle, I included jakic alonside to Brozovic, as I said to you many times here, I really love the profil of Jakic, and we need this type of player (he have something like Hojbjerg, Barella etc...) and we need this type of player for covering Brozovic on the bench, or for playing alongside him in some type of situations, when we must to defend very deep front of our box. But Jakic is also the type of players able to defend and offer many things up front. Up front, I added Orsic, who is my favorite player since two years and I count very much on him. This is why I decided Perisic up front, able to make header, make the press, defend, he can do everything. And with Vlasic just behind him for strikes from long range. Plus, I've decided to include Grbic, I know that he's not playing very much at Atletico, but I don't understand the choice to have 3 GK, with a poor Kalinic, and Sluga who is not playing. So I decided to give a chance to Grbic.

In this rebuilding, each cover needs to play! We can't build a team without playing all the cover present on our bench. And as I said, we can't play always with the same players...

Grbic

Juranovic Caleta Erlic Gvardiol

Brozovic Jakic

Ivanusec Vlasic Orsic

Perisic (c)​

and/ Here the thing is to be focus on our Dinamo players and force to see them playing together, plus with the chance to include youngsters like Biuk. But also Sverko who I considering like a very interesting player, I've watched him playing on the right side during the Euro U21, and I was really impressed by him and what he offered to the team, despite the fact he played with his wrong foot. Plus, I wanted to see what we could do with two real defensive midfielders able to press intensively. And with Budimir alone up front but able to make the press and defend for the team.

Livakovic

Vrsaljko (c) Erlic Gvardiol Sverko

Basic Jakic

Ivanusec Majer Biuk

Budimir
and/ Type of starting XI based on long and aerials balls, from Sosa, Perisic and Juranovic to Budimir and Vizinger. This is an old style, like we used in Prso time, but times this type of football can help us to win and disturb the opponent, by the presence of two strikers, and a deep midfield. with a sort of Kick 'n Rush football.

Livakovic

Vrsaljko Uremovic Gvardiol Sosa

Juranovic Jakic Moro Perisic (c)

Budimir Vizinger

Finally, I could add some others type of play with mixed players from the A, new and benched players like Pasalic, Moro, Kovacic and Co. but my ideas are here, and I would really love to see this kind of things happening but I know that it's practically impossible to see this coming from Dalic or others coaches. We'll continue to play the same type of football, with trio, blahblah... And we'll arrive to the next Euro with new players unable to play together because nothing has been tried before when he had the time to do it.

Reactions: Harasic17

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree with you on Jakic. He should be called up as far as Im concerned. Good player, who really goes under the radar. I actually rate him more than Moro.

·
Registered
HNK Rijeka, Croatian National Team
6,918 Posts
I haven't followed Moro too closely, but isn't his primary position CDM? Does he ever play AM or CM?

I just ask because we have a close to world class CDM on the squad now. Would be up for trying him out just to see what we have as a backup to Broz, but wouldn't expect him to get a ton of burn, given who's in front of him.

·
No pain - No gain.
4,568 Posts
I agree with you on Jakic. He should be called up as far as Im concerned. Good player, who really goes under the radar. I actually rate him more than Moro.
Same for me, Moro still very limited in his play, and he don't have a good stamina for a defensive midfielder. And by times, he's a bit too soft in his play. (I don't understand how he can the U21 captain). But I think that he could add something interesting to our team!

As I said, we need by times more impact in our midfield, more energy, more pressing.

Because against Spain, in the first half Dalic tactic was good to me, but imagine the same formation but with players like Jakic (or a past Rog) in the team front of Brozovic.

With something like this against Spain :

Brozovic

Ivanusec Jakic Vlasic Orsic

Budimir
On paper, this team is not really good, but for me, we have something better in terms of energy. Because when we started the match with Rebic and Petkovic tired after 5 minutes of pressing, the match and the intensity of the play were over. A Modric at 35 was unable to make the pressing for two players...

We must to remember that we've won against Spain under Cacic, with players like Rog in the midfield...

We must to create two or three different ways of approaches. We must to have a coach able to adapt his line up when is needed. Depending the result, the opponent etc... Here, we're playing all the time the same thing...4-5-1 defensively and 4-3-3 offensively, with the game based on our trio by shorts passes, and our winger who are waiting on our wings with a striker alone up front, who is playing as a pivot offensive position, and who's trying to make the press as a first defender in defensive position. It's to easy to read, and for good team like Spain, it's too easy to play with...

For example, Dalic had the opportunity to play without a real striker during the first half. As Guardiola is doing with Man City. The presence of a player up front who is not a striker can disturb the opponent because his energy and his calls are totally different.

It's always easier to take decisions and develop ideas after the final result, but we had the opportunity to play something like this without a real striker. For a better pressing and a better positioning on the pitch by his players. Because after 30 mins, our players were gazed or misplaced due to their lack of energy...

Brozovic

Ivanusec Modric Vlasic Orsic

Pasalic
Or something like this :

Brozovic

Ivanusec Modric Kovacic Orsic

Vlasic
For example, with Orsic and Vlasic up front, today the final result would be totally different... When you demand at your team to make an intensive pressing, you must to select the right players, the players able to make this pressing. I can understand that Dalic has thought that Rebic was able to do it despite the fact that he played like shit his first two matches. But seriously, Petkovic... So he wasn't horrendous and he did a good job as a pivot. But again with different players on the pitch, today, the result would be different.

Plus with Vlasic on the wing, we didn't had the possibility to see him strike front of the goal, in the middle of the pitch, he was always on the right side due to his position on the pitch... Again a not really good choice when we know his ability to score in the middle as an attacking midfielder...

Reactions: dinamozagreb86

·
No pain - No gain.
4,568 Posts
And finally, I would like to add the fact that Dalic understood the Busquets importance in their team. He said that he knew it in some interviews, and we've seen that he tried to build a team able to make the pressing in the right time on their defender, and 4 midfielder placed very high (Vlasic - Modric - Kovacic - Rebic) And with Petkovic iswitching between two positions, first one was to make a soft pressing on the central defenders, and the second one was to press Busquets and try to disturb his play, because Dalic has understood that all the Spain play come from him.

By times, the pressing on Busquets was also made from Kovacic or Modric, depending the Busquets positioning on the pitch. The ideas were good to me, but the result wasn't always good. Because Busquets has understood this pressing and he have seen after 10 minutes Petkovic problems to press him correctly and permanently.

The thing for me was to put a player permanently on Busquets and forget the both central defenders. Laporte and Garcia weren't two defenders able to create chances. Busquets was the ONLY ONE player able to create spaces for his team mates on the pitch.

Imagine now, our starting XI with Orsic in Rebic place and Budimir or Vlasic up front in Petkovic place, focus ONLY on Busquets. And with an intensive pressing made on him. The Busquets strengths are positioning and understanding, not speed and stamina. And with Petkovic choice, we've killed our chance to win this match only by ourselves.

The problem to me was if we're playing defensively, when you have the ball, you need to try to keep the ball and dictate the game a little. Because here, we ran after the ball, and we had the ball, we decided to play in counter attacks with a slow Petkovic, a disinterested Rebic and a Vlasic on the wing. Again a mistake made from Dalic, the mistake for me was to continue to play like this until the Rebic substitution made at the 67 mins...

You can try to play in counter attack with this line up, but only try, especially when you're discovering that your starting XI is unable to make a good counter attack...

Because we're all talking harsh about Rebic play, comments on IG, but do you remember the horrendous pass made by Kovacic on Rebic run when he was alone in the middle of the pitch? To me in this match every things we've tried to do in counter attack was shit... but Dalic has insisted and continued to play like this during 60 mins. We never tried to dictate the game, or keep the ball during 2 mins.

I know that I'm asking about some different approaches of our play since 2 days now, but when a coach sees that his tactic isn't working well, he needs to adapt. Because again, the pressing ideas from Dalic were really good, but counter attack didn't worked well because the players choices weren't good at all, and our midfield wasn't able to play correctly. I've seen our trio lose the ball too many times against a good side/midfield, but not a wonderful side/midfield.

Far from all this analysis, we were too shy and too soft.

Reactions: dinamozagreb86

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Something along these lines...not suggesting this exact line up would be best, too many question marks still over some names here...but for the players we have and considering the age factor at the next WC - Modrić will be 37, Perišić, Vida and Lovren 33 - we simply have to start properly rebuilding.

We're going to still have two top class central mids, an up-and-coming att mid, we can have good pace out wide including a potentially top quality attacking wing-back. DCC to me fits perfectly in the middle of a back three. If Pongračić can ever get over his injury problems he's got all the physical tools, Gvardiol is there, too...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Something along these lines...not suggesting this exact line up would be best, too many question marks still over some names here...but for the players we have and considering the age factor at the next WC - Modrić will be 37, Perišić, Vida and Lovren 33 - we simply have to start properly rebuilding.

We're going to still have two top class central mids, an up-and-coming att mid, we can have good pace out wide including a potentially top quality attacking wing-back. DCC to me fits perfectly in the middle of a back three. If Pongračić can ever get over his injury problems he's got all the physical tools, Gvardiol is there, too...
I worry about Pongracic as ever since he got mono then covid he has struggled physically. It’s a shame if he never gets back to full fitness as before his ailments he was playing at a really high level. There was even talk of Bayern Munich buying him.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would like to see Majer involved i am convinced that if you use him being surrounded by world class players he will do damages at any level. To me he stands out with his technical skills.

Dalic won't try 3 ATB against Russia.
Now that he found out that Orsic really exists we will see him more on the pitch.

I am concerned about Livakovic. Now that he has played qualifiers nations league and euro. I am not convinced at all by him.

·
dinamo67
10,166 Posts
Livakovic is a good keeper. Been watching him for years now. The guy is a shot stopper. His biggest problem is catching high balls. He still doesn't really grasp timing of when to come out for them or to stay put.

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Livakovic is a good keeper. Been watching him for years now. The guy is a shot stopper. His biggest problem is catching high balls. He still doesn't really grasp timing of when to come out for them or to stay put.
Haven't went back to watch the replay (too painful)...but on the winning goal in extra time...Olmo crosses high in the air....Brekalo jumps and somehow misses the header (ffs) and leaves Moroatta with just having to chest it down and rifle it in from like 7 yards away....without seeing the replay, am thinking could/should not have Livakovic come out and caught the cross or at least punched it away? The cross was from quite far away so the time was there....

He is shakey in the air for sure.

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
The Ruskies have some big meathead target man up front that we will need to watch. He is dangerous in the air and basically all they have...thump it up to him and then go from there. Lovren/Vida/CC have to be like glue on this guy.

And while Dalic said he wouldn't close the door on Rebic, I would not call him up for this set of qualifiers. His idiotic display vs Spain, coupled with his idiotic comments means he had no place in this team.

21 - 40 of 292 Posts