Xtratime Community banner

Who will with this World Cup Qualifying match?

• Malta by 2+ goals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Malta by 1 goal

• Scoreless Draw

• Draw With Goals (1-1, 2-2, etc.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Šimić is a bit unrealistic in the seniors. Let's see him crack Salzburg's XI before he gets seriously considered.

On Sučić, I wouldn't start him but I'd like to have seen him on the squad. Would much rather him as a deeper mid option than say Pašalić.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Without Kovacic I think we'll either put Livaja up front with Kramaric behind him and Vlasic on the right. Another option is Vlasic in the middle and Brekalo/Ivanusec at RW. Could also just do a like for like swap with Pasalic.
Kova and Pašalić aren't like for like. Two very different types. I'm hoping he starts Sučić, give the kid a chance in a big game.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
No, but Dalic is right here. Nowhere on planet earth in any respectable team/league is Bruno playing as a #10. He’s a sunshine footballer who is 27 and playing in the HNL after he flipped in Italy. I think Livaja has scored close to as many open play goals in the past year than Bruno in the past 3/4. Let’s get real here. He’s at best a decent sub at the international level.
He's right about Petković not being a 10 but to say Broz is a 10/attacking mid (and the best in the world lol) is ridiculous.

Btw; Petković for me is a write off. He might play the odd good game but he's not a good player.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
So we have as certain starters:

---‐----------------------?????
Juranović---?????-----Gvardiol-----Sosa
-----------------Modrić-----Brozović
----------?????--------?????--------Perišić
------------------------Petković

GK - Livaković or Grbić?
CB - Lovren, Vida or Ćaleta-Car?
AM - Pašalić, Vlašić, Kramarić or Majer?
RW - Ivanušec, Vlašić, Kramarić or Majer?

Can't see Brekalo contending but the fact they've got him with the team mightbe indicative. Vlašić will probably struggle to get a start.

Gut feel is it will be Livaković, Lovren, Majer and Pašalić.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I also still worry about Juranovic in the big spot. Stanisic still gives you something going forward but can cover on the back. Sosa struggles on the defensive part too. Think Stanisic gives a bit better balance but if Gvaridol is on the left I’m good with Juranovic on the right.

Gut tells me Gvaridol will be the LB
Dalić made it clear in one of those pressers that Gvardiol will start at CB. With Barišić suspended, Sosa has to start.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Dalić's comments from Monday...

"For me, there's never been a question around Petković. He lacked consistency but he's up now, and with his example and motivation he can be of use to us. He and Majer are in form lately so there were no dilemmas in calling them up. In his [Petković] new position we have the best in the world, Brozović and Modrić, therefore his position should be in attack. He can drop deep to get the ball but he has to be scoring.

We'll miss Kovačić greatly. Brekalo is joining us today and after his physical we'll see if he can play. We're thankful to his club for releasing him but we won't be forcing anything - he'll play only if he's 100%. Our captain is also joining us today and we'll have to see how he goes over the next 2-3 days. He had a fever and the virus crushed him. We talked, he has recovered and he'll be having lunch with us today. We won't be forcing anything with him but we need him as prepared as possible for Russia. I'm hoping Luka will be OK because we need him.

I don't want to spend one moment talking about Russia. That game is an afterthought for now, most important is Malta. We're going there at full force. It's always been tough there, a lot of problems. We have to be highly motivated because we know they will be since they're playing against the World Cup runners-up. There might even be some awkward situations for us but we have to win. I don't want to talk about Russia for even one second. Malta can't match us in any department, we just have to be serious and accountable and do everything to get the win. They paused their domestic league and have been in training for the game for seven days but, naturally, we're going for the win.

For the first time in my tenure we've decided to stay the night after the game. We've always returned to camp the same night but this time we won't. The game in Split is at 3pm so we decided on the change. I'm not going to calculate in Malta, I'm not thinking about waiting for anything. We do have some yellow card issues looking ahead towards Russia but I won't be sparing anyone. If things are going well in the second half then I'll look to rest some players. I know all of you are focused on Russia but for me that is not even a topic.

My desire is to have a standardised XI, I don't want to be rotating. At the World Cup in Russia everyone knew the XI, from the first to the last player. But circumstances often dictate and that's the case now. Over seven days with three games we wanted to spread the load. You can see for yourselves now what the situation is like. We're playing on Wednesday and Sunday, there are injuries and illness, which are all things I have to consider.

It's been a long time since we've been so strong at centre-back. Gvardiol, Ćaleta-Car, Vida, Lovren, Pongračić, Uremović, Škorić...this is a good problem for me. Gvardiol is unquestionably first choice at left centre-back. He's playing well at Leipzig and he has the edge on the rest because of his left foot. On the right we'll go with who we think is best prepared. Like I said, I don't want to make too many changes but because of cards and injuries I've had to."

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Livaja? really?

Livaja was needed because we are extremely thin for attacking options. Krama was shooting blanks, Petkovic is unpredictable (we never know if he will come to play or be a bystander), Brekalo was in horrible form, Rebic in a war with Dalic, Ivanusec went cold.

Livaja is not a good option if you ask me. He is everything for Hajduk but his aptitude for the game at this level is just not there. I don't want him on the team, he's a sub at the very best and he should never be considered a solution, a starter...he's worse than our infamous Nikola Kalinic was!

If we are depending on a player like Livaja, we may as well pack it in now!
That's very harsh on Kalinić. Goals per game for the NT he's only behind Šuker, Eduardo and (by a tiny margin) Mandžukić.

I do agree Livaja is no solution but I don't think too many people see him as one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts