Xtratime Community banner

Who will with this World Cup Qualifying match?

• Scoreless Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw With Goals (1-1, 2-2, etc.)

• Slovakia by 1 goal

• Slovakia by 2+ goals

241 - 260 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Agreed. Minnows always a trap game for us
Always, always, always. And you’re seeing the media already having us as winners talking about the match up in Split. You can almost sense a 1:1 draw…after we go down 0:1.

Hit the brakes. First Malta. Full stop.

(notice how I don’t use the word or phrase “Croatia needs to…”As soon as I see those words, I stop reading and move onto the next comment)

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Serious question: When, if ever, has Croatia choked against a minnow team and that impacted qualification? Because I don't recall that ever happening. Tough narrow wins yes but failing miserably against a much weaker team no.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Serious question: When, if ever, has Croatia choked against a minnow team and that impacted qualification? Because I don't recall that ever happening. Tough narrow wins yes but failing miserably against a much weaker team no.
If by impacted qualification you mean missing out you have to go back to Euro 2000 qualifying and our 1-1 draw with Macedonia in Skoplje. Happened in the middle of the campaign but those dropped points would've put us in the playoffs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Euro 2012 qualifiers left a deep mark. I remember we lost to Georgia and Greece. Luckily eliminating Turkey erased most of those painful memories.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
The 1-1 draw with Finland at home under Cacic was an extremely low point. At that stage few believed we'd actually make the WC in 2018, let alone put a dent in it.

Malta will be dogged playing at home.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Euro 2012 qualifiers left a deep mark. I remember we lost to Georgia and Greece. Luckily eliminating Turkey erased most of those painful memories.
I had completely forgotten about that Georgia loss, that was definitely a major fail and a stupid loss against a minnow team. Easily beat Malta 1-3 away in that campaign and then again narrowly 0-1 in 2015. The 1-1 draw there in 2005 was a bit of a wtf moment.

·
Registered
338 Posts
After a world cup qualifying game against Slovakia at Osijek on october, i just found out that we play Malta on 11th of november in the evening and then Russia on 14th of november at....3pm????
Who are the geniuses that decided that?

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Yeah UEFA has these weird schedules sometimes, for instance Bosnia plays against Finland at home at 3 pm then against Ukraine at home at 8:45 pm 3 days later. Back in the day you would have 10-15 qualifying games during the same day from 4 pm until 9 pm but they changed it about 7 years ago to have a schedule similar to the Champions League.

Reactions: DiegoDalma07

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
The 1-1 draw with Finland at home under Cacic was an extremely low point. At that stage few believed we'd actually make the WC in 2018, let alone put a dent in it.

that was an extremely low point , I agree.
However , I went away also thinking it was a good thing because I knew a change was then imminent .

Reactions: Sulla

·
Registered
23,511 Posts

We then played a great game away in a do or die in Kiev and hammered the Ukes to save qualification getting into the playoffs....then hammered the Greeks in the playoff...and into the WC and all the way to the final.

I thought the away in Iceland was bad as well. Zero intensity and players just going through the motions waiting to get it over with and go on vacation.

Of note though, our two magical WC runs came via playoff qualification. When we need to turn it on, we find a way to get it done.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
"Of note though, our two magical WC runs came via playoff qualification. When we need to turn it on, we find a way to get it done."

And just that is what makes you better than pretty much any other footballing nation in the Balkans.

Reactions: Ante

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Didn’t we draw with Malta in a qualifying campaign ? Was it for 2002 ?
I remember a 1-1 draw , and our fans ripped the seats up ?
Or was it all a dream ?

·
Registered
70,248 Posts
2006 qualifications under Kranjcar, forget the exact scenario but don’t think the result was that damaging because they still qualified with a game to spare (though they needed to beat Sweden at home in the second to last qualifier)

·
Registered
5,943 Posts

Croatian goal at 24:01 and Maltese goal at 1:27:05

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Ok , a little later than I thought . Thanks guys.
Interesting to see who Dalic will call up

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
And the logic for playing Barišić over Sosa? Not sure there's justification for that decision.
Of all the younger players that have been introduced into the NT recently, I think that Sosa had adapted the best. There's a greater calm and maturity in his play IMO. I also think he is a better attacking option than Barisic. But the Slovaks proved that they are decent on the break and I suspect that that would've played on Dalic's thinking. Barisic is more experienced and more conservative.

Again, I think its much of a muchness and I don't think that was the decision that upended us against the Slovaks. Had Sosa played he would've got forward and crossed a bit more than Barisic, but he doesn't cut inside and he generally looks for Perisic as his first option. In fact, Gvardiol is a lot more versatile going forward from left back, more than both Barisic and Sosa. Ironically, I think Gvardiol is a defensive liability at left back.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
After a world cup qualifying game against Slovakia at Osijek on october, i just found out that we play Malta on 11th of november in the evening and then Russia on 14th of november at....3pm????
Who are the geniuses that decided that?
I'm concerned about playing at the Poljud given that the surface is generally pretty average and the ball often bobbles. Perfect for a team looking for a draw.

241 - 260 of 283 Posts