Xtratime Community banner

Who will win the World Cup 2018 Russia FINAL match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

vs.

July 15th, 2018 - 17:00 CET (11:00 EDT)

Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow (Capacity 78,011)

Squad:

Expected line-up:

These two teams have faced 2 common opponents at this World Cup, Argentina & Denmark, and Croatia got the better end of those ties with 4-1 aggregate & 2 wins (1 via spot kicks) vs France's 4-3 aggregate & 1 win + 1 draw.

With France being home but having their blue kits as their home setup it's likely that Croatia will wear the infamous red & white checkers from the grb... and rightfully so!

Head to Head comparison:

Betting odds from OddsChecker.com:

Odds from FiveThirtyEight.com:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
With France being home but having their blue kits as their home setup it's likely that Croatia will wear the infamous red & white checkers
Very happy about this little fact, it's appropriate we're wearing our famous home jersey in the game's biggest showpiece. Not to mention how many times this tournament I've seen the ball rolling to someone in black and instinctively thinking it was the ref. :D

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,254 Posts
Pinched myself again just to make sure this isn't a dream.

Boys, we are IN THE FINAL OF THE WORLD CUP. Soak it up and enjoy.

The world will be watching us.

I know I'll remember this amazing run the rest of my life. Its been amazing.

When the anthem plays, I'll try and fight back the tears for sure.

And in terms of jinxes, and reverse jinxes..the key to this game very well maybe "Ante's pregame ritual". 1/2 hour before the game I down 1 ice cold Corona. I take one tequilla shot as well. Nothing more, nothing less. I take a quick walk around my block. I then say one Hail Mary. I then watch while our anthem plays. I take a quick piss break when the other anthem plays. Then I sit down to watch.

Its worked so far, will do it again one more time. :shades:

·
No pain - No gain.
4,154 Posts
Croatia : 12 goals scored - 5 conceded

France : 10 goals scored - 4 conceded

·
No pain - No gain.
4,154 Posts
On the tournament :

France had between 10 & 12 shoots/match. And between 2 & 5 on target (Denmark and Uruguay with only 2 & Australia and Belgium with 5).

Croatia had between 11 & 22 shoots/match. And between 2 & 7 on target (Nigeria & Denmark with only 2 & England with 7) (all these stats with extra-time included).

·
No pain - No gain.
4,154 Posts
In term of possesion of the ball, this is clear that France like to play on counter and prefer to let the ball at his opponent. Counter are based on Griezmann free role in this team who is directly searched by Kanté or Pogba, Griezmann is the key of their counter because he is the player who is able to accelerate their play with one touch pass and his passes are often on the free space created by Giroud for Mbappe on the right side.

Their counter are based on diamond in short space and the key will be to block Griezmann effort and free runs between the lines. So, the other key will be to maintain Mbappe far from our goal with a cover made by Brozovic or Badelj in a defensive mid role, as we did for our match against Argentina and Messi.

I've watched all the aspect of their team and I'm practically sure that Deschamps will play like this, because since the beginning of the tournament, he don't want to play against us and he's afraid by our midfield. He'll play a defensive play with a Matuidi on the left wing in support of the defensive midfielder.

Lloris

Pavard Varane Umtiti Hernandez

Kanté Pogba

Mbappe Griezmann Matuidi

Giroud​

Deschamps subs are always the same since the beginning of the tournament. Dembélé - Fekir (or Lemar) - N'Zonzi in for Matuidi (or Mbappe), Griezmann & Pogba. (all depends the score).

Deschamps has fixed his play on a really defensive play and attitude, the whole team must to defend. And Deschamps prefer to let the ball at his opponent for counter them at the right moment, he based his tactics on his experience in Italy, with a mixed catenaccio play.

From the stats that I've wrote in the England thread, Kanté and Pogba are the players who working really hard in the middle for blocking the attacks and follow the counter. Hernandez is also a player who run a lot on his side.

At my eyes, if we arrive to give a yellow at Kanté or Pogba, this will be a really good thing because the both player are aggressive in their runs/pressing, and Pogba is by times frustrated. If those players have a yellow, the match and fight in the middle will be totally different.

Now I think that Giroud wouldn't be a huge problem for our defenders with our physical presence between Vida and Lovren (and Lovren who is knowing very well his play) BUT we must to be careful and don't let him the time to make some back passes for Griezmann or Mbappe in his back. They're playing like that, Giroud is the point of fixation alone up front, and under Deschamps tactics he's clearly not the guy who will try to score, he'll often give the ball for his lads by some back passes and hope for some dribbling in the box.

But trust me, Griezmann is by times off in his attitude during this World Cup (by times he's good and others, he's clearly not), Giroud isn't clearly always able to make all the runs and the intensive pressing asked by Deschamps, Matuidi is a defensive midfielder and not a winger, Mbappe don't like to defend and is always waiting alone for a counter etc etc... All these points must to give us a boost. They're in an high confidence and we must to show them how we're able to brake their tactics and their defensive play based on counter.

Plus, maybe apart Pavard, Kanté, Varane and Griezmann, all those guys losing easily their heads when you're able to frustrate them !

AJMO !

·
No pain - No gain.
4,154 Posts
For his last open training session before the World Cup final on Sunday against Croatia, the team of France trained this Thursday without many of his players. Five players in the semi-final against Belgium (1-0) were absent from training: Samuel Umtiti, Benjamin Pavard, Raphael Varane, Olivier Giroud and Kylian Mbappé. They stayed in the room for personalized care. Their state of health is not a cause for concern. Mbappé and Varane even came to do stretching on the lawn at the end of the session.

Moreover, Blaise Matuidi, who had received a big buffer to the chest against Belgium and had to go out in the second period, was present with his partners. The Turinese first trotted with the other holders, before being joined by Hugo Lloris, who then accompanied him for a land work away, with the physical trainer Grégory Dupont.

During this time, the substitutes performed various exercises with ball, under a high heat (31 ° C) and in a very relaxed atmosphere. Friday, the Blues will train for the last time at the Glebovets stadium, behind closed doors. They will rally Moscow on Saturday, to finish the competition the next day.

·
Registered
36,102 Posts
1 - 20 of 293 Posts