Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I can say, to be honest I wanted Dutch/Holland to win but congratulations, and I am also glad USA missed out.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Yea.. I suggest MOD to unstick:

•Loko thread 2009
•Russia's Road to WC 2010 thread
•Eurocups 09/10
•Rfpl players in the world cup.
•Russian First Division 2010

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't understand why 4 games will be in Moscow? 3 is too much enough. Also I don't understand why Saransk have to host game, there are far better Russian cities

·
Registered
11 Posts
What I find a shame is the English calling it a fix. The night before England and Russia were the two favourites. But England suddenly dropped to last place the next day and its all a big conspiracy! "What changed over night" they are moaning, Eh, hooligans invading the pitch in a top flight league match leathering hell out the Police and throwing pyrotechics into the crowd...yes, lets have a world cup in England! Your own fault, no fix! It will be great in Russia, and safer too

·
Left Back
229 Posts
What I can say, to be honest I wanted Dutch/Holland to win but congratulations, and I am also glad USA missed out.
As an American soccer fan, I don't think America deserves to host the world cup again. That said, I think Qatar was a ridiculous choice. The best it can offer is that it will throw money at the world cup and be the first country in the middle-east to host the world cup. Problem with the middle-east is that there just aren't many countries with good fan support (not to mention that all the rich ones are monarchies). You have to go as far east as Iran to find a country with good fan support and a decent football team (and as much as FIFA claims to be politically neutral I don't think a world cup in Iran is happening). I think Australia would have had been the obvious choice here, as South Korea's and Japan's bids were good, but they only recently jointly hosted the world cup.

What I find a shame is the English calling it a fix. The night before England and Russia were the two favourites. But England suddenly dropped to last place the next day and its all a big conspiracy! "What changed over night" they are moaning, Eh, hooligans invading the pitch in a top flight league match leathering hell out the Police and throwing pyrotechics into the crowd...yes, lets have a world cup in England! Your own fault, no fix! It will be great in Russia, and safer too
I thought all along Russia was the obvious choice. You have a country that is relatively safe in terms of infrastructure and stadium construction, but still manage to have the world cup in an area that has never had the world cup before. Besides, i'm extremely happy about England losing the world cup bid, especially how it went out in the first round. :howler: All along the British press and fans have had a sense of entitlement, and they are just so arrogant about everything football related, wether it is their national team in 2010 (even us Americans made them look like buffoons) or the English Premier League, or getting to host the 2018 world cup. And I was totally expecting them to whine about corruption and all if the world cup didn't go to them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good point well made! I still cannot believe England are crying foul, arrogant is a good way to describe the attitude,in England they call the English Football Association THE FA. Hooligans lost the bid for them, and arrogance just can't let them see that they lost it and Russia was awarded it because they were better. I bet its the best world cup for ages. Italia 90 was the best for me by far!:rollani:

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Seriously, Russians, with serious problems when it comes to racism towards black players, is are saying that some Birmingham fans acting like cocks is what cost England the bid? :howler: I didn't even want it to go to England, (and the media in the UK was saying FIFA were corrupt from before the vote, there was a good Panorama exposé of FIFA's executive commitee and records of them recieving six or seven figure sums through the company that used to award all the commerical rights that aired the Monday before the vote and is rumoured to have hurt England's bid) but denying that FIFA has serious corruption issues, whether or not your nation favoured from that or not, is real head-in-the-sand stuff.

And mate, the FA is called the FA not out of arrogance but because once upon a time it was the only football association in the world. It was 10 years before the SFA came into existence, 13 before the Welsh FA. Daft sod.

Also ummonk, bog off eh? You say the "British press" are bigging up "their" national team, well I say invest in some brains and learn that there is no British national team, there is England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, each country has it's own press, and I don't remember the Daily Record predicting Scotland would qualify for Euro 2012, never mind win the World Cup...

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
I'd not disagree ;)

·
Registered
69,191 Posts
I may have to take Wales back because I remember Robbie Savage basically asking how dare Wales lose to those minnows Montenegro :howler:

The thing I hate about England is they rarely give their opponents any respect, especially if they are not Spain, Brazil, Argentina or the other powers. They cannot accept poor results against the likes of Croatia, Russia, Montenegro, Algeria for some reason, when all these sides are probably more technical than England but don't have the hype machine around them

·
Left Back
229 Posts
Also ummonk, bog off eh? You say the "British press" are bigging up "their" national team, well I say invest in some brains and learn that there is no British national team, there is England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, each country has it's own press, and I don't remember the Daily Record predicting Scotland would qualify for Euro 2012, never mind win the World Cup...
I should have said England. I have nothing against Scotland, Wales, or occupied Ireland.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Saying "occupied" Ireland really simplifies a complicated political issue in a way that makes you look very silly. Like it or not, the majority of citizens currently living in Northern Ireland favour remaining as part of the UK and not Ireland, though that'll change in the next 50 years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I may have to take Wales back because I remember Robbie Savage basically asking how dare Wales lose to those minnows Montenegro :howler:

The thing I hate about England is they rarely give their opponents any respect, especially if they are not Spain, Brazil, Argentina or the other powers. They cannot accept poor results against the likes of Croatia, Russia, Montenegro, Algeria for some reason, when all these sides are probably more technical than England but don't have the hype machine around them
I loved it when Mladen Petric scored at Wembley to knock England out! Petric for CSKA in January?:kiss:

And yes, once upon a time England were THE FA becuse they were the only one, proved my point, football arrogance in England is endless, once upon a time a lot of things were so, things grow up, change, develop, not THE FA. Arrogance considering there are no how many football associations? Boo hoo England:cry:

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No offense but after recent chaos between Russian nazis and Caucasians I really lost respect to this tournament and I don't want to visit Russia for this reason. People want to live quiet yes due bunch of idiots it always violence and bloodshed

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Do you go to Brazil, then?

Russia by the time will change a lot. But if someone has the "southern local" feature, it's strongly recommended not to travel apart from, say, England's supporter groups.
It's not just racisms and violence. Authorities will not give a damn on suspicious-looking foreigners/locals during the tournament. Serious.

·
Azerbaijani Eagle
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you go to Brazil, then?

Russia by the time will change a lot. But if someone has the "southern local" feature, it's strongly recommended not to travel apart from, say, England's supporter groups.
It's not just racisms and violence. Authorities will not give a damn on suspicious-looking foreigners/locals during the tournament. Serious.
I am pale looking compared to most caucasians but I really hope government starts to do that action or FIFA may sanction

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Weeding terrorism or country's economic problems isn't FIFA's job.

These riots, in essence, have no link with football. If many of the university students in Moscow were Spartak fans and they protested against rising tuitions, that doesn't mean football fans in Russia caused riots on Moscow streets.

1 - 20 of 292 Posts