Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me information about it? The one played in Brazil some years ago looked a total failure, I'm very exceptical about it...

The 2nd one was supposed to be played in Spain a couple of years ago, but the problems of FIFA avoided it. In any case, I'm sure that we would have seen lots of empty seats, except in the Real Madrid matches.

I'd like to know which is the new idea.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ze da Fiel said:
It's gonna happen in the end of the year in Japan. The tournament is gonna last 1 week
How is the format of the tournament? Who is going to play it? How are the teams going to be chosen?

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Oceania's representative will more than likely be whoever wins the Australian A-League. As our league hasn't started yet we're having a 7-team tournament sometime next month. Perth won the last NSL title in 2003/04 so they have a bye to the semi finals while Adelaide will play Queensland, Newcastle will play Central Coast and Sydney will play in Melbourne. Two legged ties.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing our club sides get completely trashed at this thing, but it'll be good nonetheless.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
There will be 8 teams i think.

One from each confederation (respective champs), plus a team from Japan & Corinthians (actual world champion).

The South American team & the European team will skip the first phase and will probaly only play the semi final & the final. I'm not sure were Corinthians will be placed or the Japanese club.

And I think the tournament will now be held every 2 years (not sure).

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
If it's every 2 years, how will they decide which continental champion takes part? Whoever is champion when the tournament takes place, or a match between the two, if there are two? For instance, the last two European Champions are Porto and Milan. If the tournament was held right now, would it be Porto that play, or would there be some sort of qualifier? Since it wouldn't be fair, if this new tournament is to gain any kind of credibility, for Milan to miss out because they won on the wrong year.

·
Registered
60,476 Posts
Regarding Africa, the winner of the 2005 CAF Champions League will represent the continent in the World Club Championship.

Hopefully Al-Ahly will win it ! :shades:

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
This was so long ago but each region had its reperesentatives with the host country having 2 seated teams.

Group A
Al-Nassar
Corinthians
Raja Casablanca
Real Madrid (was invited due to the clubs history)

Broup B
Manchester United
Necaxa
S. Melbourne
Vasco da Gama

The final was played by the host nation clubs of Vasco & Corinthians.
If I remember correctly the tournament was played in the middle of the summer in Brazil and I remember seeing the than Euro Champ Man Utd melt in the heat.

I remember watching wondering if Romario & Edmundo would come to throwing punches at each other :D

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Now that the Toyota/Intercontinental Cup has been scraped, don't be surprised if the World Club Championship is made an annual event. The format should be 2 groups of 4 teams each, with the top 2 qualifying for semis. It's another money making plot by FIFA anyway :yuck: :wallbang:

I'll miss the Toyata Cup :sigh:

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
ilgenio said:
Now that the Toyota/Intercontinental Cup has been scraped, don't be surprised if the World Club Championship is made an annual event. The format should be 2 groups of 4 teams each, with the top 2 qualifying for semis. It's another money making plot by FIFA anyway :yuck: :wallbang:

2)Me too,but at least we will have an official Champion of the World now.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
ilgenio said:

Actually not. It is only sensible to have a World Club tournament, instead of the CL champion being regarded as world champion, and when it goes to the Toyota cup and loses says that they are not "bothered" :rolleyes:

Now lame excuses will definitly have to stop! :)

Hope to meet you in the end of the year, and give you a good spanking :finger:

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ze da Fiel said:
Actually not. It is only sensible to have a World Club tournament, instead of the CL champion being regarded as world champion, and when it goes to the Toyota cup and loses says that they are not "bothered" :rolleyes:

Hope to meet you in the end of the year, and give you a good spanking :finger:
I would not say that the CL champion is the World Champion, but I doubt that this WCC is a good way to choose the World Champion. I don't know which is the importance that you give to this tournament, but for me, the CL will still have much more prestige than the WCC.

The format of the WCC is poor and it seems something invented to make money and not something really serious.

I'm not against a WCC, but this format is not attractive at all. When the 1/4 finals of CL and Libertadores look better than the WCC, you have to wonder what you are doing.

·
1st Tier Poster
50,188 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:

Why do you think that European clubs will take that tournament more seriously than Toyota Cup? WCC is a meaningless tournament with weak parcitipants, played at the middle of the season when European top clubs already have enough action.
When an European club doesn't win WCC, they can still play out the "we were not bothered" card. And probably that's also true.
The only way to make WCC respectable and interesting is to take in more clubs from Europe and SA. For example, it could be 4 from Europe, 3 from SA, 2 from Africa, Asia and CONCACAF and 1 from Oceania plus one club from the host nation and the last time champion. These 16 clubs could play in a 4 round knockout system.
The current format is laughable and will never last for long.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
this tournament already started on the wrong foot, the first one did not even have the Libertadores champion. Making it every two years will only make the teams picked for this even more random.

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
but for me, the CL will still have much more prestige than the WCC.
Of course,a tournament that will really became regular in the future can not have more prestige than one that already exists...

The format of the WCC is poor and it seems something invented to make money and not something really serious.
I am very glad to notice that the Champions League is not something serious for the format of the tournament today is to make money. (The big clubs of europe only power is money. Making money is their game, so the WCC instead of Toyota to have more more is a great idea)

Andy:

Why do you think that European clubs will take that tournament more seriously than Toyota Cup?
I think they will get because they will receive more money. Frankly, who can be bothered ? Teams who do not take seriously a compeittion against South America are losers, that is all.

WCC is a meaningless tournament with weak parcitipants, played at the middle of the season when European top clubs already have enough action.
It will replace a competition that is already official for decades. There wont be much more extra time and it better be in middle, otherwise we would add to the lame excuse list the adding "We are in the end of season, so we are not fit".

When an European club doesn't win WCC, they can still play out the "we were not bothered" card. And probably that's also true.
And South America will say...Losers. And that will be true.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JCamilo said:
I am very glad to notice that the Champions League is not something serious for the format of the tournament today is to make money. (The big clubs of europe only power is money. Making money is their game, so the WCC instead of Toyota to have more more is a great idea)
Of course, the CL is also a way to make money, but the format is similar to a WC and it has a logic in the way that you choose the teams.

If Ze da Fiel is right, the way of choosing the teams that are going to play it is very "strange".

BTW, since the 2nd group stage disappeared, the clubs make less money, AFAIK.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
JCamilo said:
Of course,a tournament that will really became regular in the future can not have more prestige than one that already exists...

Andy:

I think they will get because they will receive more money. Frankly, who can be bothered ? Teams who do not take seriously a compeittion against South America are losers, that is all.

It will replace a competition that is already official for decades. There wont be much more extra time and it better be in middle, otherwise we would add to the lame excuse list the adding "We are in the end of season, so we are not fit".

And South America will say...Losers. And that will be true.
Now who's showing Ego? :rollani:

The Intercontinental Cup wasn't taken as seriously by the European participant than the South American participant. That's a fact. It's also a fact that it says more about the SA teams than the European teams, since it is in fact the EUROPEAN teams that have been dominating the fixture recently. So we can end this pitiful talk of "excuses". Well, at least on the European side.

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
Koeman:

Of course, the CL is also a way to make money, but the format is similar to a WC and it has a logic in the way that you choose the teams.
Actually, The WC and WCC both pick representants from all the world when the ECC only take representant from a few of european clubs exactly to not allow less-traditional clubs to make part of it and generate more money. As for the Euro and South champ coming in the last phase, that will not generate less money (since they get the great amoung from participation not from public in the stadium) and is just to not create much more dates.

ViscabarcaInter:

Now who's showing Ego?
You, that makes a afirmation and says it is a fact without any evidence. Do you have in your computer a program to measure seriously by the clubs ? Have you been there to make it possible ?

Europeans and SA clubs all send their main force, play all they have, in very similar way. The attitude of europe may be "i do not care", but that is just lame. They created the tournament, when SA showed that attitude and results are not the samething they turned back.
Europe have been dominating then SA give more importance ? So, Europe is arrogant and we are not ? They think they will keep winning so they need to care less ? Wow, that is losers.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JCamilo said:
Koeman:

Actually, The WC and WCC both pick representants from all the world when the ECC only take representant from a few of european clubs exactly to not allow less-traditional clubs to make part of it and generate more money. As for the Euro and South champ coming in the last phase, that will not generate less money (since they get the great amoung from participation not from public in the stadium) and is just to not create much more dates.
Well, that's obvious. The CL is for Europeans because it's organized by UEFA. But if this WCC is organized once every 2 years, the system to choose the teams is unfair, IMO. It's true that the CL is made with the purpose of being the biggest show of the club football. So the amount of clubs of Spain, Italy or England is higher than Poland, Bulgaria or Switzerland. In any case, this amounts are not fix and you can see how countries like Turkey or Ukraine are growing, while others like Holland and Belgium are going down. The system may be more or less unfair, but it is logic. The WCC is not.

You, that makes a afirmation and says it is a fact without any evidence. Do you have in your computer a program to measure seriously by the clubs ? Have you been there to make it possible ?

Europeans and SA clubs all send their main force, play all they have, in very similar way. The attitude of europe may be "i do not care", but that is just lame. They created the tournament, when SA showed that attitude and results are not the samething they turned back.
Europe have been dominating then SA give more importance ? So, Europe is arrogant and we are not ? They think they will keep winning so they need to care less ? Wow, that is losers.
It's not an issue of having machines that messure how serious we are. It's a fact that the Toyota Cup doesn't raise the expectations of the CL. It's a fact, you see it in the streets. I've said it many times, in Spain, which is a country that live football with passion, the Toyota Cup is completely ignored, unless a Spanish team is in. While the CL final is followed for millions of people. For a Spanish club, winning Liga or/and CL is much more important than Toyota Cup. The Toyota Cup is in the level of the Supercopa and the European Supercup, if you win it, it's okay... if not, well, next time...

It's not arrogance. I'm not able to say that the European clubs are better. It's about tradition and attractiveness. The Toyota Cup was not attractive and the WCC doesn't seem attractive to me... and if it has some attractiveness, it is lower than the last stages of the CL for sure.

Last year, Chelsea and Barça didn't win anything, but their matches seem very exciting. But a match between the champion of Australia and the champion of Asia doesn't tell me anything. I'm sorry, but I would not wake up soon to see this match.

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
Well, that's obvious. The CL is for Europeans because it's organized by UEFA.
I did not talked about being for european only. I said for a elit of europeans. The reason of the elite of Italy, Spain, England in the competition is because they are more atractive, even TV-wise. The format of CL today is entire organized to TV, to make the lot of money it makes.
Fact is Koeman, anyone attackign a tournament's validity because of money it makes is just being silly. The most valluable tournament in the world in quality are organized to make money. That is not the differencial.

The system may be more or less unfair, but it is logic. The WCC is not.
Ze even said he is not sure and I neither. First time I saw it , it was scheduled every year to replace every Toyota meeting...I hope one can come and clean that doubt for us...

I've said it many times, in Spain, which is a country that live football with passion, the Toyota Cup is completely ignored, unless a Spanish team is in.
It is ignored in every country unless there is a team from there in. This year the cup was totally ignored in Brazil. So, by your logic, SA and Europe both give the same importance to it, not more.
The importance usually have a variation - but the important is the importance of the club. In both sides they usually do the same care.

For a Spanish club, winning Liga or/and CL is much more important than Toyota Cup.
For a fact this is bit lame. I never have seen Real Usuing a B team in the Toyota. I have seen them using B and even C for Copa Del Rey, who is ignored outside spain, btw.
Now, again this argument is silly: SA also give more care to Libertadores and the national here. The Toyota may be less important than those tournaments, but for sure this does not show SA and europeans doing differently.
Just a notch, to make an argument how SA and Europe do things you must compare both. Just talking about Spain is not going to show Europe care less or more than SA, since you did not even used in SA in your argument.

It's not arrogance. I'm not able to say that the European clubs are better. It's about tradition and attractiveness.
Actually, You noticed I argued they do give the same importance than SA teams, so i do not think it was arrogance. It was ViscaBarca argument that looked like it. I was just making an argument against it.
Now, Tradition? This compeittion happens for 44 years. It is traditional.And atractiveness ? Something relative. If you say the quality of the game, well, we can not assure it for even the World cup. For the adversay ? You desire to argue that facing Boca is less atractive than Mallorca ? Anyone thinking so is excluding Boca for very odd reasons, sounds like, it is only atractive if this is european (and that is arrogance, even if nothing to do with the arrogance is first talked).

But a match between the champion of Australia and the champion of Asia doesn't tell me anything.
That is the world part in it. Because Chelsea means nothing here. Even having money to buy Corinthians in Brazil 1% of the population will be able to tell you from which city they are, their colors and a few players. A few will remember something about winning something long ago and the majority will think it is less important than Bangu.
Of course, I do not want you to like Asia vs. Australia, i do not care myself. But for the australians constant pledge of integration in the world it is important. It should be for the countries who go to australia to get players there, since this would motivate football in there. But them I am using my eyes. Usuing the world eyes, there is importance. (I do not need to point out how many people would give importance to a game between Nigeria and Cameroon in the 80's and how the space given to them in the World Cups helped them to improve their potential).
When saying the importance of a match we can not use us as example.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts