Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I understand every teams have to down after thier groly years normally. Example, Netherlands was the best team in the World during the 1970s but they even disqualify in WC 1982.

On the other hand, The event I would explain is not the same as that example. Who would beleive German Players have been no World-Class players for a decade (If not consider Kahn and Ballack is considered as international-class player from kicker). Then, Italy that had have so many world-class defenders succeed contineously but there are no new generation close to Cannavaro or Nesta at young star players, and No world-class Italian players age below 30 at this time.

and then, I just afraid that this desease will diffuse to other nations later and we will see a robot players whom is already programmed what they have to do. No more players close to Pele and Maradona and both of them perhaps will be the greatest ever for next so long time.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
The average footballer is a lot better than they used to be, it's much tougher to stand out on a consistent basis now.

Think Lahm is world class, btw.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The average footballer is a lot better than they used to be, it's much tougher to stand out on a consistent basis now.

Think Lahm is world class, btw.
Yes, I agree if consider average. No complaint a bit.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Speaking o defensive stars, I think defense is so much more a team concept that before. With zonal marking and midfielder screens and so forth, you don't have a many defenders coming up who learn to man mark and shu down a offensive player, they shut down a space with help. Just a thought. It used be we had many very good defenders an now if you aren't Nesta then you suck. According to many know it alls here, there isn't a league in the world with good defense except Italy and in Italy only Nesta and Chiellini are any good.

I know I exaggerate but not by much

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
The game has changed in the respect of athletes. Players are in better shape, they are faster, stronger, and overall more fit. I have tapes from the 1982 World Cup and the difference in speed of play and pressure on the field is like night and day when comparing that time and nowadays.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
The big leagues have become more cosmopolitan too. In the epl you're constantly getting harassed by international footballers every game.

·
Registered
44,974 Posts
Depends how strict one is with their definition of world class.
I'm as strict as it gets when it comes to defining world class players. Like Recoba, for example. :proud:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not too hard for considering of World-Class players. The very top player in the World that have been consistency in his effectiveness.

Today C.Ronaldo, Messi, Ineista, Rooney are being in the World-Class performance but We ever saw a lot more in the 1970s-1990s.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Not too hard for considering of World-Class players. The very top player in the World that have been consistency in his effectiveness.

Today C.Ronaldo, Messi, Ineista, Rooney are being in the World-Class performance but We ever saw a lot more in the 1970s-1990s.

True. The team based positional requirements for players have made it harder to be a star individual. Genius types now a days are more criticized for not marking and ball chasing instead o lauded for playmaking skills and technique/skill pieces.

13,358 Posts
You miss the point yet it's there in your post Dae. :D

It's not that young players [born after 85 onwards] have less abilities but something has changed in the way the game is played and how they're trained and prepared for professional football.

If anyone thinks that Platini, Zico or Maradona from the 80's... Van Basten, Rivaldo, Figo, Rui Costa etc would struggle anymore against the defences today than the likes of Diego, Nani, Eto'o etc they're in dream land.

Tracking back etc has always been a part of the game, its just that when a coach got his hand on a young Robby Baggio for example, he'd be exempt from the boring but necessary part of football and given the space and encouragement to perfect his extraordinary abilities, whereas today, a coach would stifle it and see it as a weakness in their game, and train them in improving their work-rate and defensive abilities.

And to be fair, it was not the likes of Dunga, Mauro Silva and Deschamps that made me fall in love with the game, I recognize that most of the time what these players [the water carriers] do is more important for the team, but the artists, the Cruyff's, the Maradona's and Rui Costa's are the reason why we all love the silly game of 22 men chasing a ball. And we need to produce more, not less of these players.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I didn't miss anything. You said exactly what I said.

As for Baggio, he is a perfect example of a player who was practically expelled from top teams because his coaches always felt he was a luxury and prefered the water carrier guys. What legend do you know who had to go to Brescia and Bologna to find a game because the likes of Capello, Lippi and whomever didn't know what to do with him? He should have also featured more in world cups 1998 and 2002.

13,358 Posts
I didn't miss anything. You said exactly what I said.

:howler::D

I know, that was the joke... my bad. You're 100% on the money about possibly the greatest Italian player of all time being reduced to turning out for Brescia when he should have been a regular at the highest level.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
If I knew who you were wihout that stupid new nickname maybe wr wouldn't have had this problem. :tongue: :D

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
15 years from now topic, There's no Messi/C Ron players anymore..

It's like me with salsa music, I can't listen to nothing after 1980s, then I talk to my younger brother and he can't listen to anything before 1980s. It's what you grow up with that is close to your heart, so all you young guys will be asking why there are no more Rooney's when your son is raving over Man United new left winger, Awesom-o 3000.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Messi, Ronaldo would be great in any era, Germany and Italy might not have any, but then what did Portugal have in the eighties, now they have Ronaldo?

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Yeah, does seem to work weirdly with countries.

Spain had very few world class players across the 80s, now they have about 9!

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
yeah, and look at the midfields France and Brazil had, and lately they have had Makelele and Gilberto as their schemers.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts