Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone offer any exercises or training regimen that will help me improve my first touch? I find it is often the one part of my game that could use significant improvement. Obviously being able to juggle helps a lot, but I'm looking for more specific training exercises. Any advice?

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Throw a ball high in the air and control it with your foot when it comes down.

Quite simple.

·
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FigoIsGod said:
Throw a ball high in the air and control it with your foot when it comes down.

Quite simple.
:rolleyes:

·
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No offense but your reply is synonymous to someone asking for dating advice and you telling them to grab the first woman he sees by the hair and dragging her to his cave.

Quite simple.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
RemiNL said:
No offense but your reply is synonymous to someone asking for dating advice and you telling them to grab the first woman he sees by the hair and dragging her to his cave.
and what's wrong with that? ;)

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
and what's wrong with that?
this young people don't respect old proven tactics

Can anyone offer any exercises or training regimen that will help me improve my first touch? I find it is often the one part of my game that could use significant improvement. Obviously being able to juggle helps a lot, but I'm looking for more specific training exercises. Any advice?
what about borning again and in South America? hehe, that will bother you so much haha...nah for real Remi, you can always practice with both legs striking the ball against a wall..one with the left..one with the right, always aiming some area of that wall, and increasing the speed gradually..from time to time stop that ball trying to literalilly kill it right beside your foot...and on others hit it hard to elvate it and control teh rebound...is mechanical, but you will adquire in time a good use of both feet in one touch passing, and even shooting.

Of course the best way? is just making one twos with some lad in the park, and way more fun, but the striking against the ball is as old as football, and many pros should use it more.

·
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Fangio, I am definitly going to do more drills with the wall. Although it is sometimes tough to kill balls that come in high effectively. Of course I realize that is where juggling comes into play. It's just frustrating when I ruin a good pass my way, especially since I know my dribbling skills could create opportunities. I guess I am just trying to play the ball on too much instead of focusing on just killing it and then moving.

·
Registered
19,837 Posts
Yeah the wall is a good solution to work alone. But better find 2 friends and work your one touch passing while constantly moving/running. You will have to work on your ball control while receiving the ball from the first one and in the "same time" have a look in what direction the third one is already running. You will work your vision of the game aswell.

·
18,041 Posts
Yeah the wall is a good solution to work alone. But better find 2 friends and work your one touch passing while constantly moving/running. You will have to work on your ball control while receiving the ball from the first one and in the "same time" have a look in what direction the third one is already running. You will work your vision of the game aswell.
...or? the old and fun "Loco"...

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Heres my thoughts.

You could:-

a) do keepy ups, as much as it is just to keep the ball off the ground, a lot of it depends on your first touch as well, if your first touch is crap you will not be able to keep the ball in the air

b) kicking the ball against a wall and controlling it then kicking it on the wall again, obviously speeding up the process accordingly

c) kicking he ball in the air then controlling it is another option

d) getting a friend to offer you long passes from a variety of angles and speeds

Good luck :)

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
the best way imo is to play a game we call zrenda here. i don't know whats it called in eglish so i'll just explain. i am sure you'll know what i am talking about
find a couple of friends and place form a circle everybody except for one who is in a circle. the guys that form the circle have to pass each other ball but they can touch it only once and the one in a middle has to interecept the ball. when he does that he goes out of circle and the guy who's ball was intercepted goes in the middle and the whole thing starts over again
quite effective and fun

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
don't forget to play competitvely though, five a sides and stuff, it's amazing how many guys look like they have the first touch of Bergkamp in friendly games, then when some hairy assed madman is marking them on a Saturday they suddenly resemble Emile Heskey on acid.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Start with a bag of cement and slowly work your way towards a more bouncy object, eventually towards a football.

Alternatively you could buy a heavier ball like a joga bonita one, or use a tennis ball. The smaller the ball you practice with, the easier it is to use a big ball. I owe my footballing technique to the fact that I played with a tennis ball for 5 years every day at school because we weren't allowed footballs.

·
18,041 Posts
the best way imo is to play a game we call zrenda here. i don't know whats it called in eglish so i'll just explain. i am sure you'll know what i am talking about
find a couple of friends and place form a circle everybody except for one who is in a circle. the guys that form the circle have to pass each other ball but they can touch it only once and the one in a middle has to interecept the ball. when he does that he goes out of circle and the guy who's ball was intercepted goes in the middle and the whole thing starts over again
quite effective and fun

that is "el loco", but has many variantions (play it only with first touch, with two touches, otr even allowing dribbling) never played it with that circle, is usually, more freely here. And the fun is to nutmeg the "loco" so he stays another turn (he stays one more turn everytime his nutmegged)...for instance playing a Loco with Aguero, Messi RG and Robinho? you stay there for a lifetime

·
African WC haha
5,934 Posts
You support Spurs :yuck:

No ammount of training will get you a first touch :pp

·
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Juba - the sniper said:
You support Spurs :yuck:

No ammount of training will get you a first touch :pp
You're right, perhaps I should spend more time looking for little kids to lure away with candy like Arse does. Learning to speak French only probably would also help.

On a more serious note, keep your trolling out of here. Last time I checked this isn't the club rivalries forum.

·
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back to the topic, today I tried some training and practiced the "monkey in the middle" with some people like Maiden said and it was very helpful, but I thought the best thing was when we played 3v3 with only one touch at a time allowed. It really helps you think about the next pass.

·
Banned
4,388 Posts
RemiNL said:
You're right, perhaps I should spend more time looking for little kids to lure away with candy like Arse does. Learning to speak French only probably would also help.

On a more serious note, keep your trolling out of here. Last time I checked this isn't the club rivalries forum.
There isn't one, you can diss where you want. :D

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
I'll actually give you a drill you can work on, you'll need one friend though.

If you want to learn first touch, the first thing you need to know is that controlling the ball right in front of you is fine, its a sign that you can do such things. But in football you need to learn to control the ball while moving it into a new space. Watch a master like Zidane always receving the ball and controling it into a new space. Defenders like it when you settle the ball right where you are because it gives them more time to close you down. If you are moving while controling, they become much more hesitant to jump in at you.

Ok now for the drill: (Real simple)

You and your friend stand 15 meters apart facing each other.
He has the ball, you stand just behind 2 cones that are about 3 yards apart.
(Here's a crappy diagram)

----Friend

cone------cone
-----YOU

Now its simple, your friend passes the ball in between the cones into you, you control the ball into the space outside of the cone on the right with one touch and pass it to your friend on the next touch. Then you do the same controlling to the left and passing back. Do this for like 3 minutes and switch rolls.

I would make it a point to tell you that you should be doing these first touch controls with the inside of your foot. Its great to be able to use the tools such as the outside of your foot or the bottom, but one good coach once told me that these are like ejector seats, good to get out of tough situations, but you want to use the correct fundamentals when possible.

I won't discount the quality of juggling to develop comfort with the ball and the confidence to do whatever you want with it. But many people who can juggle for ages can't play for a lick because they never learned how to control the ball properly where football is played...ON THE GROUND. Do this drill, i know its basic, but you'd be surprised how many people think they can play football but find this drill difficult.

If you can build a base of clean technique, its such an advantage over most.

Might I ask, how old are you?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts