Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really sad news. Certainly we're all united in condemning things like this. Wanted to make sure you'd seen it:

Woodgate's jaw broken in attack

Leeds United defender Jonathan Woodgate will miss the remainder of the season after sustaining a broken jaw in an attack last night, it has emerged.

Woodgate had returned to action for the club following the conclusion of his court case at the end of last year when he was found guilty of affray relating to an incident in Leeds city centre in January 2000.

In a statement, Leeds chairman Peter Ridsdale said: 'Leeds United can confirm Jonathan Woodgate has undergone an operation after sustaining a broken jaw in an attack on Tuesday night.

'He will not be available for the remainder of this season.

'Jonathan Woodgate and his family do not wish to make any comment.'

Woodgate has recently ended a community service order following his conviction in December.

But, despite the centre-half's return to form for his club, hopes of his inclusion in Sven Goran Eriksson's England squad for the World Cup Finals were dashed following a decision by the Football Association.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Who the hell would do this? What a fool! I feel sorry for Woodgate, although he unfortunately wasn't going to the WC anyway:depress:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Rosso said:
This is really sad news. Certainly we're all united in condemning things like this.
You can count me out.

Since the English Courts of Justice did not have the BALLS to give him and that other **** Bowyer a fair punishment for what they did, and since their team and their coach and their president did not have the dignity to teach those hot headed punks a lesson by sacking them, even if by O'Leary's own admission they deserved jail, someone had to give justice. I don't know who did it but cheers to him. And if it was a retaliation act it would be even sweeter. I don't feel sorry for Woodgate. Any given citizen would go to jail for what he did but he was let go, well, he should face some short of consequences and since the authorised ones were not up to the task someone else did justice. Its not nice but its fair.

How does your own medicine taste Johnny?

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I think ur a bit out of line there AMOROSO!... Woodgate got in a fight, and because the student was Asian it was seen as a bashing or a hate crime. Have u never been in a fight. Woodgate was trying to stop a fight this time and he got pushed around by some thugs but didn't fight back. He could have easily smacked them down but decided to keep out of it. Eventully they made him hit the pavement and I don't think he deserved it...:mad:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
WOODGATE IN THE CLEAR
by Chris Bargh

LEEDS UNITED have cleared Jonathan Woodgate of any blame after conducting an initial investigation into the incident which left the defender with a fractured jaw.
The 22 year old international is recovering in a Middlesbrough hospital following an operation on Wednesday and is out of action for the rest of the season.

Woodgate sustained the injury while out with a group of friends on Tuesday in Middlesbrough.

Despite claims in Thursday's media that Woodgate's career at Elland Road may be under threat, Leeds Chairman Peter Ridsdale is satisfied with the explanation by Woodgate, who could still face internal disciplinary action.

Ridsdale said: "Leeds have conducted an investigation and accept Jonathan's explanation that he sustainedhis fractured jaw at around 10pm on Tuesday night as a result of horseplay with a friend from Middlesbrough.

"Having spoken to hospital officials we are satisfied that Jonathan had not indulged in excessive drinking.

"Jonathan and the club deeply regret the incident. He has been advised that he may face internaldisciplinary action."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Good to hear... I thought PR was going to punish him for nothing...:mad:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
The in and out of the pitch behaviour of some of your players (Mills, Woodgate, Bowyer, Smith, Harte) along with the pathetic excuses, the unlimited whinging and overal crybabish attitude your manager displays have most definitely made me anti-Leeds. I had no problem with Leeds in the past and I will not have a problem in the future once you get rid of that bunch of twats.

Having said that, my judgements remain as fair and as objective as possible for me, no matter my personal preferences. Woodgate got what he deserved and if Jamie Carragher or Danny Murphy had done the same thing and got the same punishment as Woodgate I'd say the same thing.

·
Registered
712 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
The in and out of the pitch behaviour of some of your players (Mills, Woodgate, Bowyer, Smith, Harte) along with the pathetic excuses, the unlimited whinging and overal crybabish attitude your manager displays have most definitely made me anti-Leeds. I had no problem with Leeds in the past and I will not have a problem in the future once you get rid of that bunch of twats.

Having said that, my judgements remain as fair and as objective as possible for me, no matter my personal preferences. Woodgate got what he deserved and if Jamie Carragher or Danny Murphy had done the same thing and got the same punishment as Woodgate I'd say the same thing.
Oh you are so sad!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Woodgate has the potential to be one of the greatest deffenders in the history of the English game.
I just hope someone can make him see the error of his ways.He would be a great loss to football if he cant start behaving.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
AMOROSO! said:

Ok! :)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Not OK!:mad: Woodgate did nothing wrong and my view is that Amoroso is wrong. Sorry to sound like a dic Amoroso but I don't think what Woody did was wrong... I would not like to see any footballer bashed, and the same with any other person...

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
you've got to wonder though what Woodys' pals are like if a bit of horseplay ends up in a broken jaw ;)
Unless Woodgate does some quick growing up his career is going to be in tatters.John Terry is the same it's not just Leeds.
Going out on the pis for five hours with a bunch of Boro lairy boys is asking for trouble.
He should get himself a nice bird and go to the pictures ;)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
you've got to wonder though what Woodys' pals are like if a bit of horseplay ends up in a broken jaw
Yes, I can see what u mean. He does seem to be going out and asking for it but I just can't see him as one of those sort of people.

He should get himself a nice bird and go to the pictures
Great Idea! :tongue:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts