Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope people don't use this thread to take cheap shots at the man- yes, we know he is injury prone and that he hasn't kicked a ball for Real Madrid this season, but I want to see how people rate him.

IMO, Woodgate is on the same level as the so-called "Elite 3" of English CB's; Ferdinand, Campbell and Terry. He's only 25 and can still improve, but from his time at Leeds and from his limited displays at Newcastle, I am convinced he is one of the best around.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Below Terry, Rio and Sol and on a par with King personally.

Top 20 centreback on the planet.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
He's alright at one time, during his Newcastle career, he was playing as good as any defender in Europe but he's to injury prone.

Carragher>>>>>>>Woodgate

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Before his injury Woodgate was a better player than Campbell and King, I know that for sure.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
He's got a LOT of talent as a defender, but it's really hard to get past the injury problems. Sometimes you look at a guy and just think his body can't handle a long football career. And every setback makes it worse for him.

IF he can get over his problems, Madrid have themselves a hell of a centre back.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Andy said:
Before his injury Woodgate was a better player than Campbell and King, I know that for sure.
I knew I would eventually find someone who saw what I saw. :D

He's easily on the same level as Campbell. And younger too. :D Although I like Sol a lot.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Dunno why but you're underrating Campbell Andy. Look at Arsenal last season when he was fit most of the time and then look this season when he's been injured. There haven't been any major personnel changes and only him and Gilberto (ably replaced by Fabregas) have been missing.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Woodgate is the most complete CB England has IMO, he has no weaknesses, shame he can't walk anymore. :shades:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I don't see how Terry is better individually than Rio Sol or King at their best but thats just my opinion, plays in a better team defence thats for sure. Woodgate was very good before he got injured and I'd say he was arguably closer to the top than Terry is but thats before his injury, After his injury he could be anything and has to prove himself to be at that level all over again.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
El Fenómeno said:
I knew I would eventually find someone who saw what I saw. :D

He's easily on the same level as Campbell. And younger too. :D Although I like Sol a lot.
No he's not, Campbell is more of a complete defender then Woodgate. He is a good defender but like many have said his injuries is letting him down. I believe Campbell, Ferdinand and Terry are all a level head of Woodgate.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
Woodgate is the most complete CB England has IMO, he has no weaknesses, shame he can't walk anymore. :shades:
That is his weakness, he's injury prone. Not to mention he's a scumbag and a racist.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
peninsula said:
No he's not, Campbell is more of a complete defender then Woodgate. He is a good defender but like many have said his injuries is letting him down. I believe Campbell, Ferdinand and Terry are all a level head of Woodgate.
That's your opinion. IMO when Woody was fit and on top of his game, I saw nothing to suggest Campbell, Terry and Ferdinand are any better. NOTE: I am NOT saying Woody is better than them. But he is on their level in terms of talent, certainly.

Maybe Sven should play 5-3-2. :D

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
khimik said:
That is his weakness, he's injury prone. Not to mention he's a scumbag and a racist.
I spoke to him in a Chinese once. ;). He actually stayed at the hotel in my village when he went to court. Seemed a really nice guy actually. I know someone off my board who grew up with him and says he's easily lead. So hanging around with cvnts like Bowyer might have rubbed off on him.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Can't agree entirely Roby. Woodgate has/had all the qualities Campbell posesses. Yes of course Arsenal is a lot stronger with Sol in the squad however he is still mistake prone and lacks the good judgement of other defenders. Woodgate also has better marking skills than Sol, so I really don't see Campbell being any better than injury boy.

Rio, Woodgate, and Terry were England's best defenders IMO.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
I spoke to him in a Chinese once. ;). He actually stayed at the hotel in my village when he went to court. Seemed a really nice guy actually. I know someone off my board who grew up with him and says he's easily lead. So hanging around with cvnts like Bowyer might have rubbed off on him.
Another fault then, he's thick as batshit ;)

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Andy said:
Can't agree entirely Roby. Woodgate has/had all the qualities Campbell posesses. Yes of course Arsenal is a lot stronger with Sol in the squad however he is still mistake prone and lacks the good judgement of other defenders. Woodgate also has better marking skills than Sol, so I really don't see Campbell being any better than injury boy.

Rio, Woodgate, and Terry were England's best defenders IMO.
Sol doesn't lack judgement at all. Arsenal's defence slips into dissaray when he's not there to hold the line, pick the right post to clear the ball etc. He's actually probably England's BEST CB in that respect. Woodgate doesn't have the pace or the strength that Sol does though he has better distribution and is taller.

When do all these Sol mistakes I'm missing happen?

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Andy said:
Yes of course Arsenal is a lot stronger with Sol in the squad however he is still mistake prone and lacks the good judgement of other defenders.
What the **** have you been watching? Campbell hardly ever makes a mistake, you're confusing him with Toure who always makes basic errors but covers them up quickly. :rollani:

Sol has great positional sense and rarely makes a mistake. He's easily England's strongest player, and he is deceptively quick. Woodgate is better on the ball but that's only because Sol doesn't like running with the ball. Never has and never will.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts