Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01/16/2004. BACKGROUND: This is the ultimate clash of the Premiership elite against the Premiership also-rans. It's top versus bottom.

Manchester United visit Molineux for the first time in a Premiership match with the expectation that they will simply roll over the Old Gold of the relegation favourites. But that fails to take into account the close nature of the encounter when the two met at Old Trafford.

Admittedly Wolves did go to Manchester with the intention to defend and defend some more. It seemed like Dave Jones was intent on a damage limitation exercise after they had suffered a couple of heavy defeats at the beginning of the season.

As it turned out United only managed a 1-0 win through a John O'Shea header, and had Camara been able to hit the target then Wolves may well have stolen a draw. With United's return visit Wolves will be keen to put up a similar performance, and give their fans another memory from what looks increasingly like a single season in the Premiership.

CURRENT FORM:
Wolves : LWDDLW
Wolves' recent from does not look all that shabby, but when one considers that a win and draw in the last six came in the cup against Kidderminster, then things are not as bright. At the end of the day the table doesn't lie, and they are bottom and rapidly need to improve if they want to stand any chance of surviving.

Man United: WWWWWD
United's draw with Newcastle ended a sequence of six straight wins, and while most of the after match talk concentrated on the penalty that wasn't given, it should have equally focused on the perfectly good goal scored by Mikael Silvestre that could have stretched United's lead at the top. As it is they remain on the top of the perch with the best yet to come.

TEAM NEWS:
Wolves : Former United players Irwin and Ince are set to start for Jones' men. Alex Rae and Colin Cameron are both likely to return, but Nathan Blake misses out with a calf strain and will be replaced by Iversen.

Man United: Ryan Giggs will miss out with a back strain. Darren Fletcher is available again after a ban and could replace the Welshman, with Scholes moving to the left and Kleberson into the hole. Ronaldo has been back in training for a week and will come into consideration.

PLAYER TO WATCH
Wolves: Alex Rae
A lot of prematch talk will surround former United duo Ince and Irwin, but Alex Rae has been Wolves' best player this term. His goals from midfield have been a vital source considering the misfiring strikers that have featured in front of him. Rae's form is such that he has been pushing for a Scotland recall.

Man United: Phil Neville
With Nicky Butt putting in a transfer request and the competition increasing for his signature, it is up to Phil Neville to show that he has the ability to perform in the role for a whole season. So far so good, but if there is a blip to come Fergie will hope it is before he lets Butt leave.

PROBABLE STARTING XI'S
Wolves : Oakes, Irwin, Craddock, Butler, Naylor, Camara, Rae, Ince, Kennedy, Miller, Iversen

Man United: Howard, G. Neville, Silvestre, Ferdinand, O'Shea, Fletcher, P. Neville, Keane, Scholes, Kleberson, Van Nistelrooy
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I dont expect us to face any kinda problem in this game, but then again I also didnt expect us to face any problem when Wolves came to OT. Anyway, I am gonna go ahead and predict a 2-0 win for us.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
sky sports said that giggsy migh tbe fit for the game. Ronaldo will start, as he hasnt played in ages (due to holiday). Kleberson has to start....this guy has been great in the games that he has played, and i dont know what fergie wants more from him. He plays him one game and drops him in the next

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drito said:
Kleberson has to start....this guy has been great in the games that he has played, and i dont know what fergie wants more from him. He plays him one game and drops him in the next
I agree with you. The few games I have seen Kleberson play in, I must say I was very impressed. He seems like an excellent player. I dont know why Fergie keeps on leaving him out of the team. He should start on a regular basis.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The performance today was a complete disgrace, I've seen kids on a ****in park pitch play with more imagination and passion that that shambles today.

Wolves were work-man-like with a team full of journeymen, eyt we made them look half decent.

The goal was a ****-up waiting to happen, slip by Wes but really, Tim should have threw his cap on it, it was straight at him yet he let it slip through his hands, a ****ing terrible mistake, but where was Silvestre to help out his partner at the back?

We have now dropped 5 points in two games and I've sure the wankers at the Library and those rent boys are creaming themselves.

A more bereft performance I have yet to see from the team. How come they can play so well for weeks and suddenly the whole team plays like strangers, and that's what it is ..... the whole team.

Againast Fulham, Southampton, the rent boys and today the whole team just didn't turn up.

Take away scholes and there was NO ONE with the abilty or imagination to pick through a ten man defence. That my fellow formista's is simply not good enough.

It would be unfair to pick out individual players to point to their poor performances as it was a shocking display by the entire team from keeper through to number eleven.

The only one I would possibly exempt would be Ferdinand who before his injury player pretty well and I feel if he was still on the pitch at the time Miller ran through Wolves would NOT have scored.

Very dissapointed, not only to lose to a bag of shit like Wolves and now give the Arse and the rent boys more confidence, but losing today ****ed up my bastard bet before it had even got chance to get off the ground!

Cheers lads .......... enjoy Dubai ................ not!

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Alex Ferguson said:
We have now dropped 5 points in two games and I've sure the wankers at the Library and those rent boys are creaming themselves.

As shocked as I am at the result, this is possibly the funniest thing I've seen in a month!

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
OUR YOOTS BEAT THAT RUBBISH 5-1 :howler: :howler:

is this what you mean when you say you always come on strong in the New Year ?

no goals in 265 minutes of football :eek:

THE WHOLE OF EUROPE IS QUAKING IN THEIR BOOTS :howler:

watch out Real Madrid,Milan and Juve :D

they have Diego Forlan,Ronaldo,Fletcher and Phil Neville waiting to eat you up. :howler:

oh and not forgetting the new Maldini...."step forward Mr Wes Brown....i said step forward,not fall over you fool" :D

:D :D :D

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
hey , Sh!t happens:groan:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Ferguson is a genius. He could've got Ferrari and Bonera with the money he used to buy Cristiano Ronaldo, but no!

Good for Arsenal! I'm just trying to imagine what Henry will do with such a crappy defense (without Rio).

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Roberto Gallo said:
Ferguson is a genius. He could've got Ferrari and Bonera with the money he used to buy Cristiano Ronaldo, but no!

Good for Arsenal! I'm just trying to imagine what Henry will do with such a crappy defense (without Rio).

Man! That was not the end of the world..... only a 0-1 loss. That can happen. No reason for all you ManU-haters to get crazy, no reason to celebrate anything.
Sometimes it happens that the big favourite struggles against a so-called little team! For what reasons ever. But that has nothing to do with the strength of a team. A game vs. Arsenal, Chelski or Liverpool is always easier, because there isnt the danger to underestimate them, whereas the weaker teams maybe might not be taken so seriously.
Arsenal will see another ManU (compared with today) and Henry will not do more than he normally does.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Tinto, when he did well for Sporting, it was something like what he showed against Wolves? So, this is not his bad form, this is how he plays when he does WELL? Great news for Man Utd supporters.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
We were poor today, and it's gutting. But it's only one match. Every time we lose a game we get the "Sack Fergie, Sell Giggs" brigade out in force predicting our impending doom.

Mostly our own "fans". And they're people who only started supporting Man U post '99 and have never been to a game in their lives.

We lost a game, we played poorly. It happens. We don't have a devine right to win every game we play, no matter what some people think. God knows what those lot would have been like during the "26 year drought".

Spoilt.....

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Tinto, when he did well for Sporting, it was something like what he showed against Wolves?
Well, the time he was best for Sporting was when he brought us that truckload of Man U cash. :)

But seriously, the guy was all over the place creating chances. Sure he missed a few, but I don't see anyone complaining about Van Nistelroy who's supposed to be a finisher and missed a few gimme's.

Ronaldo played a pretty good game, but sure he could've done better.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
It was just not meant to be.When Ruud misses a gaping goal from a yard out you start to have a feeling that it would just be not our day.

While Wolves should be credited for a hardworking performance,however it was just that and nothing else.United had over 70% possession during the game but could cont convert that domination to chances and more importantly goals.

Fletcher and O'Shea ran the roost over Naylor on the right flank but could not come up with one telling cross despite having loads of space and time to measure them.Ronaldo simply didnt see enough of the ball on the left flanl to create much of an impact while in central midfield both Phizza and Keano were given a tough fight by Rae-Ince duo.

Scholesy also scuffed a few shots while Oakes was brilliant when called upon.When the goal came it was due to a mistake by Brown and this should further convince Fergie to search for some cover in defence as Rio seems to have played his last game for quite some time now.

A result we definitely could have done without and which puts the Championship wide open again.Cynics would look at 5 points dropped from 2 games but United fans can only look forward.Jern and the rest are having a field day prophesising how its the end of the road for United and what not!:rollani:

My advise.......let them have their moment in glory as we always seem to have the last laugh!;)

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
you cant criticise Ronaldo for yesterdays performance. He was trying to create but didnt get the ball that much liek someone else said, while in contrast fletcher and oshea had so much possesion that they couldnt produce a decent cross (now the united haters will point out that we miss becks). About ruuds miss from 1 yard, that was instinct, he didnt have time to direct hte header, he just stuck his head, and hoped that it would go in.

Scholes suprisingly missed alot of shots from outside the area, but the keeper produced a great save from him when he was inside the box. Brown made a huge huge mistake but those things happen( he wasnt the only guy who slipped during that match). I thought bellion was good when he came on, but again like he did agaisnt scholes the keeper produced a great save.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It's true that Manchester played 70% of the match on the right, 20% on the center and only 10% on the left flank. But Ronaldo seems too dumb sometimes, he can't create something making passes and runs....all he can do is dribble, dribble, and lose the ball. He also missed some crosses. He was inneficient, like he's being in most matches (at least the ones I've saw). You can say he's young, but he wasn't cheap, so question Fergie's decision to pay so much in a player that is not adding a lot to the team is the obvious thing you should do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts