Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liverpool v Wolverhampton: Preview

PA

Gerard Houllier admits he is relying on Michael Owen to go on a scoring spree to ensure Liverpool retrieve a season that has come dangerously close to being a lost cause.

Owen's double strike against Portsmouth in midweek helped Liverpool to three crucial points in the first of two games in four days at home to relegation strugglers.

Desperate Wolves are next to face Owen, who will embark on serious new contract talks in the next few weeks.

Houllier said: "I did not wait until he had scored two goals to give him my support, my words were straight after his disappointment from the previous game.

"Michael has won too many games for us, and will win many more games for us in the future. Strikers go through a difficult period, a bad patch, but he is always strong enough to overcome that, he has done extremely well.

"The first goal he scored was a great relief for him, but it was clearly a great, great pleasure for him and all his colleagues. You only had to see how they celebrated with him, all of them, to see how much it meant to them all."

Skipper Steven Gerrard will almost certainly be fit after shaking off an ankle knock, and Houllier will continue with Igor Biscan at centre-back in place of the worryingly slow Stephane Henchoz.

Steve Finnan (shoulder), Florent Sinama-Pongolle (ankle), Anthony Le Tallec (ankle), Vladimir Smicer (Achilles), Chris Kirkland (broken wrist) and Salif Diao (calf) are all out, while Bruno Cheyrou is also struggling with an ankle problem.

Meanwhile, Dave Jones takes no fear and mixed omens to Anfield as Wolves seek to grab an unlikely Premiership lifeline.

Wolves have not won an away game in the top flight since Steve Mardenborough's famous winner against Liverpool 20 years ago.

But Mardenborough's header could not save Wolves from the drop in 1984 - and Jones knows that just four points on his side's travels this season are showing the way to a similar fate.

Jones said: "We must go there with some respect but no fear - it is no longer the fortress it used to be.

"Our home form has been the key this season but if we are to survive we need to start taking some away points.

"I said at the start of the season that it would difficult both at home and away and I'm disappointed we haven't won away yet - we've played well at places but come away with nothing."

Wanderers' only injury concern is Scottish midfielder Colin Cameron, who injured a hamstring in a reserve match in midweek and faces a late fitness test.

ESPN
---------------------------------------------------------------

Expecting a similar lineup to the one against Pompey

----------------------Dudek------------------------
-------Carragher-Biscan-Hyypia-Riise------
------Murphy-Gerrard-Hamann-Kewell--------
----------------Owen----Heskey------------------

Gerrard appears to be fit, from BBC reports, more confidence there. Baros should make the bench, but may be starting, different things have been said everywhere. Elhadji should get a run out tomorrow, but finnan is doubtful, shoulder injury. This back for looks capable of winning against a relegation outfit, but in football, anything can happen. (how i hate those words. ;))

Hope Riise builds on his appearence last game, he was all over the left! Maybe Mike can bag a few hattricks, that'd be nice. ;)

Match Prediction in Paw's Thread.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Thanks for the team news. :)

I'm expecting the same XI as you forecast, although, I think it is three short of our strongest at the moment. Ideally, I would bring in Diouf on the right, he'd have a field day against Lee Naylor, Henchoz at the back, even though Biscan was flawless against Pompey, and Baros in for Heskey obviously. The Baros one will depend on fitness but I would be surprised to see Houllier continue his rotation and bring back Henchoz and/or Diouf with the busy schedule in front of us.

Newcastle are playing Charlton at home and if we win we're looking at an extremely good chance of moving into 4th with would be a bit of a psychological boost considering we were 8th on Sunday. We simply must win this game, if we can't put away this lot then we don't deserve the CL. Anyway, enough negativity for now, I'll say we'll do them 2-0 and move up to 4th. :D

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Owenization-NRG said:
and Houllier will continue with Igor Biscan at centre-back in place of the worryingly slow Stephane Henchoz.
huh? :confused: have the lads at ESPN ever SEEN Igor Biscan play?! If Henchoz is slow, Biscan is more of a snail with his mobility, nervousness and lack of confidence!

I agree that a line up like that should see us bagging 3 points vs. Wolves.. but I hope it IS like that for the sake of rotation.. Baros has been playing superbly.. I just hope he's keeping him warmed up for Marseille.. I'd wish he'd do the same to Gerrard although that's impossible as he IS our heart and soul these days.. but I'd want him in top health on Thursday! :fero:

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Owenization-NRG said:

Wolves have not won an away game in the top flight since Steve Mardenborough's famous winner against Liverpool 20 years ago.

Jones said: "We must go there with some respect but no fear - it is no longer the fortress it used to be.
20 years?!
That is a long time not to win an Away game :eek:

Yas, i don't think biscan is that slow, the problem i think, lies in him not being able to make decisions, more of the issue, Indecision. I've seen him track back, he is most probably faster than hyypia, and when he's closing someone down, you can see how he just rushes up and abuses them, with his baby face on. :)

RM, yeah, a draw at NUFC vs Charlton would be best for us I think. But NUFC have been pretty good lately, and Charlton lost Scott Parker, they seem to be keeping ok, but they lost their last game did they not? I'm hoping for a draw.but would it be better if NUFC lose, giving them no points, but Charlton we could be level with? We might have a better chance of 4th if we're racing against Charlton than Newcastle.

I don't think we can afford to leave Stevie G out really. Diouf, seems like he still can't cross. Henchoz, I don't know, if Biscan can keep putting out flawless performances, he could have an upper hand.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Re: Re: Wolves vs Liverpool @ Anfield - OMT

Owenization-NRG said:
20 years?!
That is a long time not to win an Away game :eek:
they got relegated in 1984,so it's only this season they haven't won an away game.

still a long time though..7 months :eek:

I expect Liverpool to win about 4-0,i watched Wolves v Villa last week and Wolves are an awful defence,with a mediocre midfield and a pathetic attack. ;)

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
I'm at work following the games thru livescore:depress: . A quick glance at the EPL scores almost made me feel pity for you guys. If middlesbrough can score 4 before halftime why can't you guys manage just a single goal past mighty wolves. Do you guys still remember how it feels like to win a game comfortably without having to suffer for 95 minutes

Halftime predictions: 3-0 win for you guys.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
calcio100 said:
I'm at work following the games thru livescore:depress: . A quick glance at the EPL scores almost made me feel pity for you guys. If middlesbrough can score 4 before halftime why can't you guys manage just a single goal past mighty wolves. Do you guys still remember how it feels like to win a game comfortably without having to suffer for 10 minutes

Halftime predictions: 3-0 win for you guys.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Man U failed to score until late in the game vs. Mighty Wolves at OT.. and they failed to score at all at Molineux!

Can't say I'm delighted with the half time score.. but I have no idea what's going on at Anfield as I'm at work and the game's not being shown live..

Oh and results are kinda going our way today.. Boro ahead vs Birmingham and Villa down by 2 at home to Blackburn..

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
In my opinion liverpool must play consistent to be able to get fourth place you can't have performances like this week in week out it won't happen but Thank sammi.:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
As long as Hyypia consistantly scores from corners/free kicks we should be fine! :D

Sing to the tune of the Addams' family if you go to Anfield: (I will at Marseille on Thursday!)
In our defensive foursome
He's absolutely awesome
From corners he will score some
It's Sami Hyypia

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
From the corner that led to the goal,Wolves had everyone back defending and marking every Liverpool player apart from Hyppia,whom every opposing team knows posseses the biggest threat from set-pieces for the Scousers.

I guess the Wolves players just lost their concentration after putting in a monumental effort during the entire game.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
champdave said:
As long as Hyypia consistantly scores from corners/free kicks we should be fine! :D

Sing to the tune of the Addams' family if you go to Anfield: (I will at Marseille on Thursday!)
In our defensive foursome
He's absolutely awesome
From corners he will score some
It's Sami Hyypia
Ya lucky jigger, going to Marseille! :D

I really wanted to go to that one as well, but I couldn't get tickets. Are you in the home or away end?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I echo the sentiments of everyone else: Thank you Sami! :D

Only one emotion at the final whistle, relief. I can't remember the last time we scored an injury time winner, but I think it was some time ago. I really thought it was going to be one of those days, another of those days where we do everything but score. When Owen blasted that chance into the Kop right at the death I thought it was over for us. Another two points down the drain in the easiest match on paper of the season. Well done to the fans though, never stopped singing all the way through even though the players could match their enthusiasm most of the time.

Anyway, we got the three points and to use that old cliché, the three pooints are the most important thing. :D If you can't win pretty, the next best thing is to win ugly. If we're going to make fourth place at the end of the season we may need to grind out some last minute winners like this again.

The league table makes much healthier reading now that it did seven days ago after we'd just lost to Southampton; we're in 4th ahead of Newcastle on goals scored. Away at Leicester next week in another 'must-win-game' but first bring on Marseille! Let's put that chump Brthez in his place! :fero:

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Finally we have some luck coming our way. 3 points is 3 points. Likewise, 4th place is 4th place. Make no mistake about it. In a desperate bid to salvage the season, 4th place and 3 points are sorely needed these days.

paw;)

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Wolves vs Liverpool @ Anfield - OMT

Jern Lizardhous said:
i watched Wolves v Villa last week and Wolves are an awful defence,with a mediocre midfield and a pathetic attack. ;)
... and we have houflier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts