Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why haven't I seen this posted anywhere or has it? Something for Andr3w and all the EPL haters to cringe about :howler: :dielaugh:

'Without being complacent or smug, English football is simply the best in Europe' says Premier League chief!
By Dave Smith 26-Jan-05

The debate about which is the best league in Europe - the Premiership, La Liga or Serie A (the Bundesliga doesn't seem to come into the equation thesedays) - is an on-going one. But not for much longer because the balance of power has definitely switched to England.

That's the view of Premier League chief Richard Scudamore who reckons the Premiership is the envy of Europe, possibly the world, and claims that Spain and Italy would swap places with us at the drop of a hat.

Not just because of the standard of football we've become accustomed to at home over the course of the last decade, but he also points to level of attendances at home and abroad - not to mention the financial state of the top clubs.

Italian football has become boring and gone back to the days of 0-0s and 1-0s all over the place. Look at Juventus in Europe!

more

Dwarfs Serie A and La Liga in terms of television coverage around the world, 95% capacity attendences on average compared to Serie A's 57% :yuck: not only that the EPLs growth in profits is around 1.3 billion a year which is France's Ligue 1 and Serie A put together. He has a slight point.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
How can half of this be taken seriously when the Premier League Chief, who just happens to be English himself, states that the EPL is the best by far? How is this in anyway a feasable arguement? Hitler said he would rule the world one day, however did that ever happen? No. Again I have stumbled upon another case of Englishmen talking up their own league and saying its by far the best. OF COURSE he is going to say its the best, because all of his interests want to hear those words. He is not going to say anything but that, no matter what. The EPL is in a better financial state, especially after Roman Abramovich decided to dump millions into Chelsea, so that is not contestable. However, this has nothing to do with the football that is being played on the pitch. The latter sentence is the only thing that matters when deciding which leagues are the best, because football is played on the pitch. So I find this arguement rather laughable; "just because the leader of the FA says our league is the best, it must be." I do not think I have seen such a biased arguement in my entire life. What nonsense.

Also, I do not hate the EPL. I watch it every Saturday morning here and have come to like it because the football is fast and intense. What I hate is league-glorifying "we are always the best in everything" imbecilic fans who make wonderful arguements like this. :howler:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
DeJackal said:
I knew you'd bite Andr3w :cool:
Of course, because I love discussing these things. If you only made this thread as a joke I will gain more respect for you. :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Looks like you've made quite a reputation for yourself around here as an EPL hater Andy :D

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
:dielaugh:

I Don't know whats more funny, Andrews persistant whining or his desire to knock the EPL.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
No league is out there as the best as each league offers different football.

In the end it comes down to personal preferance and that is the truth.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Russell said:
:dielaugh:

I Don't know whats more funny, Andrews persistant whining or his desire to knock the EPL.
Furthermore, I don't know whats more funny, David Beckham being a "world class midfielder" or David Beckham skying the ball over the bar at Euro 2004. I think they are both equally hilarious.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
andr3w said:
The EPL is in a better financial state, especially after Roman Abramovich decided to dump millions into Chelsea
Except the financial records are based on profits, and chelsea posted 80m losses...

~ The Green :rolleyes:ne

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
You should have posted this in the World Football forum so that all the haters could start crying like teenage girls after someone disses Justin Timberlake.:D

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
EPL being the best, maybe but thank it's foreigners...

6 goals scored in the ManU v Arsenal game on Wed night. Not one scored by an Englishman. :googly:

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
6 goals scored in the ManU v Arsenal game on Wed night. Not one scored by an Englishman.
5 goals scored in the Mancunian derby last season, 3 of them from Manchester, all 5 goalscorers were English...

~ The Green :rolleyes:ne

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Andr3w said:
Furthermore, I don't know whats more funny, David Beckham being a "world class midfielder" or David Beckham skying the ball over the bar at Euro 2004. I think they are both equally hilarious.
Pitty David Beckahm players in La Liga so it doesn't really have an effect on the quality of the EPL that he is shit, does it?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
SM ONLINE said:
Pitty David Beckahm players in La Liga so it doesn't really have an effect on the quality of the EPL that he is shit, does it?

Correct, however one could argue that Beckham, being England's most celebrated player in recent history, is sort of embarrasing.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Andr3w said:
Correct, however one could argue that Beckham, being England's most celebrated player in recent history, is sort of embarrasing.
Wasn't he one of the main reason's Man Utd were scoring so many in the past?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Interista said:
Wasn't he one of the main reason's Man Utd were scoring so many in the past?
Of course. His crosses were very important to the team and his free kicks were amazing. However he does not/did not deserve the world class title he has recieved in the past, simply because he is only a one dimensional winger. When it comes down to pure skill and talent, Beckham is miles behind the symbols of other countries, such as Zidane, Raul, Effenberg, and so on. Of course one could argue that Totti is embarrasing to Italy with his spitting antics, which is very true. :rolleyes:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Andr3w said:
Of course. His crosses were very important to the team and his free kicks were amazing. However he does not/did not deserve the world class title he has recieved in the past, simply because he is only a one dimensional winger. When it comes down to pure skill and talent, Beckham is miles behind the symbols of other countries, such as Zidane, Raul, Effenberg, and so on. Of course one could argue that Totti is embarrasing to Italy with his spitting antics, which is very true. :rolleyes:
You mention skill and talent, Beckham has talent which is being the best crosser of the ball and free kick taker. That is his talent. As for skill he isn't as good as Wright Phillips, Joe Cole, Rooney or most players in the England national team.

Do most Englishman think Beckham is world class? No but his crosses and long range passing is world class. THAT IS THE MAIN REASON how he made his name. English fans know what he is, he can't head the ball, he can't tackle, he can't dribble, and he drifts out of games. Your not telling us something new here. As a right wing player on his day though he one of the most effective. He was more effective for Man Utd than C.Ronaldo has been.

If you think like the rest of the world that every englishman charishes David Beckham then you are a fool. Infact no your not, if you haven't been to this country then your opinion is going to be formed by the British media. The little chip on your shoulder about English fans and their view of the game is probably been built by the British media and the trouble with the British media is that they speak English. My oh my if only people would pay more attention to the French, Spanish, and Italian media and you'll find overhyping is not just a British thing.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
DeJackal said:
You mention skill and talent, Beckham has talent which is being the best crosser of the ball and free kick taker. That is his talent. As for skill he isn't as good as Wright Phillips, Joe Cole, Rooney or most players in the England national team.
One of the best crossers in the world, certainly. However I think some players have the about the same skill as Beckham in this area. Both Zambrotta and Vicente have just as good of crossing ability, however they do not have the same ability when the discussion is about freekicks. Beckham is one of the best freekick takers in the world, along with Totti and Mihajlovic, at least the latter was on top but has fallen off now. Beckham and Totti seem to be the best in this area at the moment.

Do most Englishman think Beckham is world class? No but his crosses and long range passing is world class. THAT IS THE MAIN REASON how he made his name. English fans know what he is, he can't head the ball, he can't tackle, he can't dribble, and he drifts out of games. Your not telling us something new here. As a right wing player on his day though he one of the most effective. He was more effective for Man Utd than C.Ronaldo has been.
I do not think he is one of the most effective wingers in the world. How can he have this title when he cannot dribble past opposing defenders with pace and skill? His crosses are very effective, but in every other aspect of the game he lacks what better wingers have.

If you think like the rest of the world that every englishman charishes David Beckham then you are a fool. Infact no your not, if you haven't been to this country then your opinion is going to be formed by the British media. The little chip on your shoulder about English fans and their view of the game is probably been built by the British media and the trouble with the British media is that they speak English. My oh my if only people would pay more attention to the French, Spanish, and Italian media and you'll find overhyping is not just a British thing.
Well yeah I have not been to England yet, however I will in about one year. I think the English media does have an effect on my opinions to some extent, which is one of the reasons I call the EPL a bit overrated. The Englishmen I know here in the US who play for my football team think Beckham is a class player and like him as a Captain, and also I have heard some of them say Becks is a world class player in the past. They also hold Rooney as the best young talent in the world, even greater than Torres, Bojinov, and Fabregas. So IMO even some Englishmen themselves overhype their football, however many other fans do as well.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do not think he is one of the most effective wingers in the world. How can he have this title when he cannot dribble past opposing defenders with pace and skill? His crosses are very effective, but in every other aspect of the game he lacks what better wingers have.
Yeah I know, Beckham has got nearly zero dribbling skills, but that didn't stop him from becoming the most effective right winger in the Premiership. You can dribble all you like up the wing but the main objective is creating assists from the wing and that is exactly what Beckham did at Man United and he did it very well.

C. Ronaldo, one of the best dribblers in the world and in this department far more talent than Beckham goes to Man United and what do they do? They struggle to score. From 1996-2003 the time when BEckham was at Man United, Man United finished the highest goalscorers in the Premiership whether they won the league or not. C. Ronaldo comes in and Man United finish 3rd highest goalscorers, and this season it's dropped again. Despite C. ROnaldo being this wonderful talent, Man Utd just haven't been the same without Beckham. That's what I mean by Beckhams effectiveness. You don't have to have dribbling skills if you can cross the ball like Beckham. Zambrotta and Vicente are not as good as Beckham in long range passing.

Well yeah I have not been to England yet, however I will in about one year. I think the English media does have an effect on my opinions to some extent, which is one of the reasons I call the EPL a bit overrated. The Englishmen I know here in the US who play for my football team think Beckham is a class player and like him as a Captain, and also I have heard some of them say Becks is a world class player in the past. They also hold Rooney as the best young talent in the world, even greater than Torres, Bojinov, and Fabregas. So IMO even some Englishmen themselves overhype their football, however many other fans do as well.
The Englishman you've spoke to would call Beckham world class simply because of his crossing and free kicks. But they would know he has a ton of weaknesses if you asked them. As for Rooney and them saying that he is the best young talent in the world....well what is wrong with that exactly? Many of the worlds top coaches domestic and foreign have said the exact same thing. However some have said Torres is the best or someone else. People have opinions.

I agree, some Englishman themselves overhype, just like people who follow certain clubs overhype their players. But you will find this is the same in every country. That's just the way it goes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts