Xtratime Community banner

With Regards To Should Scotland Quit Pro Football

1K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Gregor 
#1 ·
I was so sorry to go and add my opinion to the following thread - http://www.xtratime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75136 - to find it had been closed i agree cam was out of order but the thread should not be locked.

I would like to say that coming on an international board like that and just starting a stupid topic like that is out of order.

I feel very proud about my coutry and take it as an insult when we are called third world and you question if we should even play the game when in actual fact Scotland were one of the 1st countries to play football.

Why should we quit, because you need a ***** at the poor standard of your own league. I agree the league is of a poor standard just now but this is because of the OF bellding the life out of the game and if they were to leave we would find our own standard.

To admin and mods:

If you feel the need to lock this please do so but understand i will not returb. What is the point in a debate forum if we are not alot to debate. I think the last thread being closed, cam was out of order but we did not get the chance to defend ourselfs yet sonso eye still gets to start stupid one liner threads that are intended to insult or flame people, races or cultures.

Thank you for your time.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It was Scots that 'exported' football to countries such as Brazil and Argentina so if people dont like us, we will just have to take our ball home and their will be no more football full stop :D

I find it amusing that the person doing all the insults about Scottish football was an Aussie - Rangers own one of the teams in their "great" league, and so far its been a waste of money because no talent has come through yet

insult deleted :angel:

#5 ·
Well,
I think cam was quite right, someone to post such a stupid topic in the debate forum which seems to be reserved for "intelectual" debate, and the other guy started talking loads of crap about Scotland.

Scotland may not be all that good, but at least they make it to the finals once and while!

#9 ·
Don't give up the fight. In Portugal this will will only be our 3rd WC, and the 2nd in 36 years. That's a long time.

Although I prefer a more open free flowing style, Scots play hard nosed soccer.

Where are the next Colin Hendries, Aly McCoists?
You can rebuild things to their past glory. Isn't this only you're 2nd time missing in like 30 something years, and yes I do know that Scotland has never made it out of the group phase, but you guys have been great at qualifying. The exact opposite. Portugal does better in tournaments than in qualifying.

C'mon, we need Scotland to rise up again. In WC 94 qualifying, it was Scots who were arrested in Lisbon for playing nude soccer in public for the 5-0 Portugal victory. You guys know how to have a good time.

Good Luck in Euro 2004 Qualifying. Though I don't like your coach, he's German.

#10 ·
Figo Rules said:
Where are the next Colin Hendries, Aly McCoists?

forget those two donkeys, where are the Alan Hansens, Jimmy Johnstones, Billy McNeills etc.....why, in the 1960's and 70's, Scotland had, on paper, enough talent to win the thing. But somehow, despite all the managerial talent in England, Scotland never got its act together at international level. And now, with a lack of talent coming through, that inorganisation is seriously hampering the game, in my opinion. I can't see football going to semi professional basis, but the structure of the international team could certainly use some better processes.

#11 ·
Fred Eliot...

I'm not that old. You would know Scottish football a miilion times better than I. But, man, if those guys were Donkeys and your new guys are worse, maybe it will take a huge rebuilding effort

The first WC I watched was 1982 when some wankers won the thing.:(

Since then I've seen Scotland as a team that is good in qualifying but couldn't raise their game at the WC. Didn't they lose to Costa Rica in 1990, and they lost to Morocco in WC 98.

That's just an outsider's perspective. I do not follow Scottish soccer, and do not claim to, although Colin Hendrie did remind me of Portugusese hard men Fernando Couto & Jorge Costa.

I like to learn more about how different NT programs are doing.

Do you at least see Scotland gaining a playoff spot for Euro 2004. Their group is relatively easy, although most of the groups are.
Or is this losing streak indicative of a lost cause. I figure they can finish 2nd behind Germany. Iceland will be very competitive.

What do you think?

#12 ·
F.R,

In fairness, I'm not actually scottish, much less a scotland fan, so I'm probably not the one to answer. But I do feel badly for them.
Some of the players they have produced over the years, are world class. And I'm not talking about one offs here and there, I'm talking about groups of players, being round at the same period as one another, capable of running a close campaign for WC glory, and instead, achieving basically nothing. Do you realise that in the late 70s early 80s, Dalglish, Hansen, Souness, Nicol, McLeish, Narey, Nicholas, George were all pretty much in their prime, and capable of achieving a heck of a lot more than early dismissal at group stage. Believe me, if you think colin hendry was good, you should have seen souness. Theres no reason why Scotland can't achieve, but I think that they are at the point where they have to start blooding youngsters. Probably that game against S.Korea reflected that. Rebuilding is Vogts priority. And making them competitive. What do Scotland fans think?

#13 ·
Cheers, FR and FE for your input in this topic.

Forlan, Nick, How sad, talking to yourself? There's a place on Xtratime for you, Padded Cell!

The future for Scotland is BRIGHT and it's not as bad as made out. We do now have young players coming through, the only thing Vogts is doing wrong is blooding them all at the same time. Vogts has yet to play a game with his full strenght line-up never mind squad.

We will qualify for Portugal 2004, I'm quite positive of that. Your right though, we have no-one of the quality of Hansen or McNeill coming through. We also don't have a natural goalscorer like Ally McCoist was.

There is definetaly something to look forward to and youngsters are only going to get better now with Scottish Clubs opting to pick the best from the youth teams instead of searching for expensive bosmans who under-perform.

One's to watch out for, and whom I think will be playing in the Premiership within a few years are:

James McFadden : Attracted attention from Celtic, Rangers, Southampton & Leicester. His skills at time are really good for one so young. He can also play as a makeshift Striker but is likely to feature on the Left side of midfield.

Gary O'Connor : The closest we have a youth level to a natural scorer. Despite only being 18 he has already one a few caps. Will be our leading Striker at the next WC Qualifying if not the Euro 2004 Qualifying.

Maurice Ross : Versatile wing-back more suited to the right than his Scotland role of the left. Scotland #2 Tommy Burns says he will feature on the road to Portugal. Made the right-wing back spot at Rangers his own.

Stephen Crainey : Can play at both LB or CB, accomplished defender and has played well for Celtic this season.

Here's to Qualifycation for Portugal 2004(I could do with a holiday) :D :cool:

#15 ·
Does it really matter if ignorant idiots like you haven't heard of them? I bet you hadn't even heard of Julius Agahowa before the Nations Cup:rolleyes:

#16 ·
"Has anyone heard of these great stars of the future outside of Scotland? No I didn't think so!"

Right boy. You obviously have no clue what your talking about.

Are you seriously trying to say a footballers existence is only valid if the entire world has heard of him?

Actually why do you care about scottish football being professional or not? You don't live here, you don't watch the games so your whiney little voice doesn't matter one single bit. Whatever you say is just reactionary babble from a sad little boy who knows absolutely nothing about what he's trying to talk about. You think that a forced 'controversial' opinion makes you sound big, important or clever? You seem to be basing this on the fact that you know nothing about scottish football (amazing in itself) ie i don't know anything about this so it must be bad. I can't name a single player who plays in austrailia does that mean they should be part time ? Of course not I don't know anything about them so how can I pass judgement?

Please keep your ignorant little views to yourself and leave the real football discussion to adults who at least have a reasonable basis for their opinions and don't make random offensive statements to try and appear interesting, knowlegdable or controversial.

*few i'm off to lie down.

#17 ·
Blue Eye, why the hell should Scotland quit football? can only the worlds best play it? Italy, France Argentina and Brazil? Are they the only nations who should play proffesional football? Dont be so bloody stupid!!! Football is a game, u dont need to be good to play it, as long as its fun and enojable for the players and the fans. You obviously no f*ck all bout our game or u would at least know we ave the best fans in the world!

#18 ·
Ignore the child :rolleyes:

If Scotland are that bad.......can anyone tell me who won the last game between Scotland & England?

#20 · (Edited)
It was Scots that 'exported' football to countries such as Brazil and Argentina so if people dont like us, we will just have to take our ball home and their will be no more football full stop
It wasnt the scots who 'exported' football at all, i read about how the English used to play football in front of the argentines and they used to laugh at us. Most ball games invented in Britain were spread around because of Englishmen travelling around the empire.

#21 ·
Russell said:

It wasnt the scots who 'exported' football at all, i read about how the English used to play football in front of the argentines and they used to laugh at us. Most ball games invented in Britain were spread around because of Englishmen travelling around the empire.
Incase you didn't know it was the British empire not the English one. We have to accept our share of responsibilty for the crimes of that empire so give us some credit where its due for the benefits also! 'The English' didn't export it themselves, just as 'The Scots' didn't export it themselves - we did it together, like it or not.

Anyway in the case of Argentina there is documentary evidence that Argentina's first major introduction to football was through a Scottish railway company (building a railway line in Argentina at the time) and their engineers who played football and who set up a few teams including themselves and local workers, which grew from there.

G
#22 ·
Sorry to have to drag up an old topic, but it is worth pointing out that though it was an Englishman who introduced football to Brazil, a Scotsman taught them how to play it as we see now:)

OK, so it was in the Daily Record, & is probably not that reliable, but that's not the point:D

#23 ·
Perhaps Scottish football has fallen on hard times but Bremner, Law, E. Gray, Collins and Johnstone were footballing geniuses who would walk into any team in that last World Cup. Then a bit more recently there was Gemmill, Dalglish and Souness.
These players and a whole lot more are unforgettable. football goes in cycles and I'm sure players of this calibre will be back some time. Not so long ago nobody had heard of Holland and France on the football scene and who raved about Diop, Diouf and Kamara 6 weeks ago?

#24 ·
:D Thanks m8! That's cheered me u[p anyway ;)

#25 · (Edited)
:happy:Yes!!! :yuck:Scotland should quit pro football, your the laughing stock of the WHOLE WORLD in case you haven't noticed! Go on :cry: your eyes out you pathetic tight b*stards with chips on your shoulders. You never were as good as ENGLAND so feel inferior to us BECAUSE YOU ARE! You'll be PERMANENTLY in the wilderness like Northern Ireland and Wales never to qualify for a major Tournament AGAIN! Can't wait to see you get beaten by everyone in your Qualification Group. You'll withdraw with your tails FIRMLY between your legs and you'll have to just stick to the Highland Games where you'll just compete against yourselves.

Go on get depressed, feel sorry for yourselves and buy some Kleenex and bawl your eyes out and then commit suicide with the knowledge that your all failures !!!!!

#26 ·
Blah Blah Blah, why would we want to cry our eyes out because an immature person like you likes to talk sh!t :howler:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.