Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attack failed us, we've seen that Italy, can stop any team from being dangerous (Spain), if only Toni, had been in form. I remember, the play, against Spain, where Toni diverted the ball, that would have put one other player in 99% goal chance (I think it was Di Natale)

Donadoni screwed up with his selection in attack, he called up two target man Toni (out of form) and Boriello (can't be counted upon). While I can't blame him for calling up Toni, he should have called Inzaghi, or even better FIGC should have given the nationality to Amauri before the Euro, he would have been perfect.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Attack is a team game, not one individual... considering the game v Spain is what we must ultimately point too, I cant say Toni could have done much more to score in this game. I am not saying Donadoni should be totally blamed either, but this is the first time in years (or maybe even history) Italy came into a tournament without a world class fantasista.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are forgeting Pirlo, who was fenomenal against France you could call him a fantasista.
Yes Italy didn't have many chances, but there were some and I've seen many games where Italy have won with one (if that) goal oppurtunity in a whole game.
We just needed a striker who could convert the few chances we had. Toni was the natural first choice yes, but we didn't have a decent back up in the squad, even if Donadoni could have called Inzaghi/Amauri, and this is something Italy really needed.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Our game versus Spain was the early final, obviously, Germany was just pathetic in the final. Even with a crappy Toni we pushed them all the way to penalties, and only because Toni couldn't finish off a bunch a great passes.

That was Grosso in position btw, not Di Natale, you could have seen Grosso's expression of frustration.

·
Registered
46,749 Posts
I just hope that I have not to read that with Lippi we would have won the Euro. That would be definitely too much even for Xtratime.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Attack is a team game, not one individual... considering the game v Spain is what we must ultimately point too, I cant say Toni could have done much more to score in this game. I am not saying Donadoni should be totally blamed either, but this is the first time in years (or maybe even history) Italy came into a tournament without a world class fantasista.
i am sure not if you manby many here have said or were saying due to xtratime's usually flakyness......
......that Cassano is world class

no doubt he is in terms of ability but he could have come along but still at the risk of soundin like a stuck record i would refrain from sayin the followingbutgiven the general feel and jist of this thread :D:D:D

No other national team would have left G.Rossi and Giovinco at home its as simple as that i think that is more the mistake of moving backwards by Don instead of anything to do with Toni. That said Don was arguably two Buffon penalty saves away from a final

It also is interesting that Raul was fit and at home andin form for the first time since 1996

and that u people were stuck with Del Piero. Of course losin like this and nothaving Del Piero in the squad would have been even worse for Don

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I agree TAZZ... there are too many people, Juventus fans especially, who are stuck with Del Piero and if the head coach of Italy did not call him he would probably get fired just for this. He sucks for Italy, end of story, on hindsight it would have been better to leave him at home and call either G. Rossi or Giovinco.

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
With some dignity, honor and self respect... There is no way such a thread could be opened.

You choked, perhaps less than France... but you choked nonetheless; Just deal with it.
With "ifs", we all would be World and Euro champs...

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I would hardly say Italy choked. We lost on penalties and we played the only way we probably could against a team better than us. That is not choking. Sometimes you need to admit defeat to a better opponent, we are not frogs, we still have our pride in tact :)

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
Sometimes you need to admit defeat to a better opponent, we are not frogs, we still have our pride intact :)
You played a good old catenaccio against Spain. No wonder it ended by a draw: there is no way you could have scored playing that way; even with the best forward available in the shape of his life.

Concerning the pride itself, such threads wouldn't be opened if it was that intact for you my italian friends :)...

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Of course we could have scored. We had three very good chances to have done so, which was probably better than Spain's chances, but that is in the past now. At the end of the day, we played how we had to against a better opponent. We lost on penalties. We move on.

Threads are created because this is a forum where we must debate many things about the NT. It has nothing to do with pride. I am proud of the NT, unlike you frogs.

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
I am proud of the NT, unlike you frogs.
You are right I am not proud of my NT but I will still support them.
I have no reasons to be proud of them: They didn't battle as they should have to.
Had they given everything, even in the loss, I would have been proud.

But no matter what, I WILL STILL SUPPORT THEM.

Do you see the difference?

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Yes, in other words you think your team played like a bunch of pussies... while I think my team gave it all they could, but were beaten by a superior team. I am honest in defeat, just as the French should be. Your team was not good enough this year.

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
Your team was not good enough this year.
My team wasn't good enough even if they had given everything... I know.
The worst thing is that they even played lower than this already low level.

The resut was of course awfull. :)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Donadoni screwed up with his selection in attack, he called up two target man Toni (out of form) and Boriello (can't be counted upon). While I can't blame him for calling up Toni, he should have called Inzaghi, or even better FIGC should have given the nationality to Amauri before the Euro, he would have been perfect.
toni was not out of form for bayern. I would have called him up and played him

·
Administrator
53,192 Posts
Toni was the most in form player with C.Ronaldo last season. How the heck is 39 goals and 11 assists out of form?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts