Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased Winning Eleven 9 for PS2, and I am still relatively new to the series. I have only played one previous version (WE 8) and even there I had great troubles scoring :flirt:

In this version, it becomes even worse. I cannot score from anywhere except 3-4 feet away from the net, I cannot direct any of my headers onto the goal (everything seems to go over the bar), and I miss breakaways like there's no tomorrow.

Does anybody have an answer to how one can score goals from further away ? I know the booklet (this must have been the first time in my life that I've actually had to read instructions on how to play a game) says that your shot becomes more accurate as you hold R2 and release the shot, but even that isn't of too much help for me.

I would like to know how to score from further away, because playing this way and scoring tap-ins all the time is a bit frustrating.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You will have some trouble with this game if you haven't played the previous installments. There is usually a transitional period when a new version of the game comes out which takes even veterans of the series (me) a long while to get used to. So for you, what I suggest is just keep playing the game and get used to all aspects of the game such as dribbling and shooting as it's all about how much you power up the gauge when you shoot. Try using really good teams against really crap teams to get used to it and take it from there.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just noticed that you mentioned in another thread that you play this game at 6 stars. That is absolutely insane. I am currently playing at 2 stars because I cannot compete at 3 stars :)

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to play some more.

BTW...do you play online ?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mihajlovic said:
I just noticed that you mentioned in another thread that you play this game at 6 stars. That is absolutely insane. I am currently playing at 2 stars because I cannot compete at 3 stars :)

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to play some more.

BTW...do you play online ?
I don't currently play online because I'm kinda swamped at the moment but as soom as get a period of time where I'm free, I'll let you all know.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The trick to getting better at the game is simply to play it. Try throwing yourself in at the deep end by playing on 6 stars with a good team and play against a lesser team i.e. Barcelona v Rangers. If you do this you will get used to how the opposition moves the ball around and you'll get a feel for it, albeit you might get hammered some games but in the long run it's worth it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Danny_Vanquish said:
The trick to getting better at the game is simply to play it. Try throwing yourself in at the deep end by playing on 6 stars with a good team and play against a lesser team i.e. Barcelona v Rangers. If you do this you will get used to how the opposition moves the ball around and you'll get a feel for it, albeit you might get hammered some games but in the long run it's worth it :thumbsup:

YES!!! PLEASE!!!!! play against RANGERS!!!...........LMAO!!!.
DANNY, you kill me man!........i love that!........chivo and co. would be soooo upset!!.....lol

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Danny_Vanquish said:
You call playing as Barcelona against Rangers "throwing himself at the deep end"?! :tongue: :D

You can do like I did and just use the weaker teams against the bigger ones. You start to understand your players weaknesses, how you can overcome them, that would help you a lot once you move to using the better teams.

My favourite teams, the teams that I was nearly unbeatable when I used them were Siena (Chiesa IS good) and recently Twente from Holland, they have this player N’Kufo who can demolish Juve's and Chelsea's defenses :D.

Another advice, whenever you play against Real Madrid use Arsenal. :lala:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yacoob said:
You call playing as Barcelona against Rangers "throwing himself at the deep end"?! :tongue: :D
OY you know I was talking about the difficulty, not the team lol. You really want to throw yourself in at the deep end? Go Rangers and play against Barcelona. Even I would find that hard to cope with. And if you do decide to do that, I suggest you use a 4-5-1 and hit Barca on the break.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
If your coming off of 8 and haven't got a handle of that yet; just keep practicing. I've been playing the series since 6 and its constantly changing. However, unlike many other series, it gets better. This version is a bit more realistic in terms of ball control. WE8 was by far my favorite, but seeing as I just bought this version; it could change my opinion.

·
Banned
734 Posts
why is this game so scripted, it reminds me of fifa 2003, its like the game decides the score of the game will be 0-0, i pissed off at konami for changing a good series for the worse. they better get this scripted crap out of here.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
it is not scripted... sometimes it will be really hard to score but mostly its pretty fair. People always complain that games are scripted, usually when they are just not good enough

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
LordPersie said:
it is not scripted... sometimes it will be really hard to score but mostly its pretty fair. People always complain that games are scripted, usually when they are just not good enough
Please. Yesterday I had the biggest winning streak ever. I was playing against some of my friends and was unbeatable, and guess what, after several matches all those goals I should have scored were hitting the post instead. :frustrat: At one match I even hit the post 5 times. :mad:

So it's definitely scripted :D...and no...that doesn't mean my goals from earlier matches weren't supposed to go in. :lala:

·
Banned
734 Posts
Yacoob said:
Please. Yesterday I had the biggest winning streak ever. I was playing against some of my friends and was unbeatable, and guess what, after several matches all those goals I should have scored were hitting the post instead. :frustrat: At one match I even hit the post 5 times. :mad:

So it's definitely scripted :D...and no...that doesn't mean my goals from earlier matches weren't supposed to go in. :lala:
i know its a ****ing joke, im sick of playing 0-0 ties in season play. through passes are allways intercepted and even if the forword gets the ball he is like 5 meters offside. konami will hear it from me.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Ya I agree.. the game isn't in anyway scripted..

When I first started.. I hated how hard it was to score.. but continued trying..

Nowadays.. with the right players and tactics.. scoring isn't an issue in any way.. I play the game on 6 stars and have scored 5 or 6 goals on some occassions and against teams like Man U, Barcelona and Argentina.. Oh and I'm enjoying this one as much as I enjoyed WE8..

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yacoob said:
Yeh cause no team ever hits the post 5 times in one match and then loses in the real life like in the Premier League :rolleyes: ... O wait,,, that did happen, silly me.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
LordPersie said:
Yeh cause no team ever hits the post 5 times in one match and then loses in the real life like in the Premier League :rolleyes: ... O wait,,, that did happen, silly me.
Right. Name one team that had a 10 - 15 matches undefeated streak ending with 3 to 4 matches where all shots that go anywhere close to the goal would hit the post instead.

I'm not saying that it's scripted though, I don't know, those moments when you can't score despite having the best and most chances don't seem to me like JUST bad luck.

What's scripted in the game is the referee always favouring the home team though. :finger:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts