Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:scream:

Who has it as well?

It looks nice, but since watching simple videos cause my laptop to overheat and shut down within 5 minutes, I'll be having to revert back to the older Windows version which never had a problem.
Googling didn't seem to offer any help either. Overheating seems to be a problem for other HP users too.

·
Registered
34,454 Posts
Why do u need it? Havent had windows since XP. BTW most new Window ops have issues on laptops. I remember when Vista came and a place i worked put Vista on all laptops. Froze all the time, week later, all back to XP. And those were top of the list Dell laps.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
I'm not a Windows user, but I had Windows7 installed on a laptop from the office. I rarely used it because I had double booted it with Linux. Then somewhere last week I started Windows up and it automatically began upgrading itself to Windows 10. I didn't think much of it at first, just the usual Windows crap with no user control over anything. Then I wanted to boot Linux up again and to my surprise it had overwritten part of the disk partition where it was installed! As a result I couldn't start up, nor access any of my data. Since it's not my main system it wasn't such a problem, but it's still annoying and it could very well have let to permanent loss of important document or pictures if those had been on there.

So then I installed Linux again and it then in turn overwrote the Windows partition. :D And that was a problem, because it's an office install and I didn't have the boot disks. I couldn't remove the Linux partition without starting up Windows and that wouldn't work. I did manage to change the boot order from the grub so that it automatically starts up Windows and then dropped it off at our support desk in the hope that they don't figure out what I did with it. :eek:

·
1st Tier Poster
48,795 Posts
:scream:

Who has it as well?

It looks nice, but since watching simple videos cause my laptop to overheat and shut down within 5 minutes, I'll be having to revert back to the older Windows version which never had a problem.
Googling didn't seem to offer any help either. Overheating seems to be a problem for other HP users too.
good to know because I'm a HP user and was offered W10 the other day...better to stay away for a while I guess until they iron out the bugs.

·
38,110 Posts
Too late. He aleady has an HP laptop.

But apart from overheating issues, they're loaded with bloatware as well. So it's indeed a brand to say away from.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regardless of the stats like RAM etc, which brands would you recommend for the future?

Dell? Apple? Lenovo? Asus?

·
38,110 Posts
If you want to avoid bloatware, I'd suggest Dell. They were pretty bad in the past but they've cleaned their act up a lot.

Lenovo if even worse than HP imo. Asus I'm not too familiar with.

Apple's hardware looks nice, but its OS restricts you in your choice of software.

·
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
42,192 Posts
One of our clients works with HP laptops, they break down regularly, have battery issues and glitches in their software.

·
Greta joke sharer
22,960 Posts
You should all upgrade and let Microsoft and associates spy on you. :thumbsup:

·
38,110 Posts
Apple allows you to run Bootcamp and boot into Windows rather than OS X, so it's not really that restrictive.
This underlines my point. Apple is so restrictive that even Windows is considered unrestricted by comparison.

·
*the drum drum*
42,561 Posts
This underlines my point. Apple is so restrictive that even Windows is considered unrestricted by comparison.
Bootcamp simply partitions your Mac and allows you to boot to the new (empty) partition.

You can install Linux or any other x86/x64 operating system on this new partition should you so wish.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
If you want to avoid bloatware, I'd suggest Dell. They were pretty bad in the past but they've cleaned their act up a lot.

Lenovo if even worse than HP imo. Asus I'm not too familiar with.

Apple's hardware looks nice, but its OS restricts you in your choice of software.
As much as I hate my Dell, it's still better than anything else I've used. And 4 years later, except for the battery draining quicker, two cracked screens (one my fault, one the TSA's) and a replaced USB port, I haven't had too many issues.

·
38,110 Posts
Bootcamp simply partitions your Mac and allows you to boot to the new (empty) partition.

You can install Linux or any other x86/x64 operating system on this new partition should you so wish.
That still doesn't make Apple OS any less restrictive.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts