Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to save my 1000th post for when we won the cup (insallah) :D but I can't wait that long. But an hour prior to the game I want to give a few comments.

I'm sure we all want us to get as far as we can, and if we do there'll be a massive party. If not, we should still celebrate our success.

For those who had to endure the days when we got beaten by big margins, and the days when we'd be happy to at least score a goal in qualifiers; we are the ones I imagine are the happiest. We've seen the rise (felt it) and are so happy to see days like these, where we challenge the elite.
I hope the young kids who didn't see Turkey when they were the whipping boys of European football, appreciate Turkey as it is today.

I guess after winning the European under 18 championships, we were expecting a change. And here it is.

No more stuffed, roast Turkey. Now it's Turkish delight. And no matter what happens today, no one can change history. We have been in a Euro Chapionship Quarter final and a World Cup Semi Final. Add to that Gala's success and we can sit here and be proud of the fact that we have been noticed.

For a country that enjoys football so much, it's good to see a competetive side with a great bunch of players who (as a tv commentator here pointed out) wear their hearts on their sleeves.

No more are we losing young immigrant family players to other countries, they are now wanting to play for their homeland. No more do we have to sit here and just say "ah, well we played well and kept the score down". Things have changed so rapidly, and I for one have witnessed the change, and that makes me proud.

Whatever happens in the future, we were there when Turkey were 1 of 4 in a World Cup.

How much fun it is to see/hear people talk about us along with the top nations. How much fun it is to be a Turk during these competitions. Congratulations to the team and the followers.

History has been made.

Masallah and thank you Turkiye! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very well put. I remember the days when we used to loose to England 8-0, I had the misfortune of being in England during one of those, probably one of my worst childhood memories. Fast forward 15 years and here we are, one of the proudest moments of Turkish sports ever! I cant tell you how proud I was when people cheered as I was walking down the street the other day wearing my national team jersey. People who probably didnt even know what our flag looked like until a couple of weeks ago were cheering Turkey Turkey! Lets all hope that our success in soccer becomes a raging fever and spills over to other fields in our country.

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
I wanted to save my 1000th post for when we won the cup (insallah)
Congrats for the 1000th post Hakan:cool:

I wish you could have written that after winning the WC;)

Anyway like in the Turkish saying:
"Galip sayilir bu yolda maglup"

I was so proud and happy when ESPN gave Turkey commercial with a very nice music in the background:cool:

I hope the young kids who didn't see Turkey when they were the whipping boys of European football, appreciate Turkey as it is today.
And I hope the new generation is going to witness more improvement than we did;)

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Aragon.

What is the state of the current U18's & U21's?

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
What is the state of the current U18's & U21's?
I have no idea. I guess it would be a good idea to follow Meditarrenean games;)

Besides, I think we should try to follow what Germans do. As it's been pointed out somewhere in German media there are many Germany originated players in the Turkish team.:)

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe a Turkish office has been set up in Dortmund for the young Turkish players over there. So we shouldn't lose the good ones hopefully. I wish Erdal Kilicaslan was on our books though; can he still play for our NT now he's represented Germany's U21s?

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
I believe a Turkish office has been set up in Dortmund for the young Turkish players over there.
My actual question was, why can't we do what Germans do in Germany and give an oppurtunity to those who are already in Turkiye;)

It's clear that the problem is not lack of talent, instead it's lack of professional approach.

Because at one point those players start playing as German nationals as Mustafa Dogan did. Then we'll get less and less player from Germany:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts