Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sylvain Wiltord could be Arsenal's fourth, and final, major capture of the close season, after it has been revealed that progress has been made by Arsene Wenger in his bid to lure Wiltord to Highbury.

Wiltord has expressed a desire to quit Bordeaux and play in The Premiership, and Wenger is known to be a great admirer of his talents, but an enquiry was rebuffed by the 1999 Le Championnat champions.

French sources insist that Wiltord would accept the contract proposal from Arsenal, but Girondins chairman Jean-Louis Triaud is strongly opposed to any sale.

However, a major stumbling block has involved the fact that 35 percent of the fee must be paid to Deportivo La Coruna, but the reported intervention of main sponsors, M6, plus a justification of an increased bid in the wake of his Euro 2000 efforts, could see the deal resurrected.

Deportivo are believed to have agreed a deal with his former club, Rennes, whereby they would obtain his services back in 1997 but, when Wiltord decided he would stay in France instead, Bordeaux had to forego part of the ownership of the player, to ensure the Spanish side did not completely miss out.

Wenger is said to be ready to offer a massive 150 million francs (around £14.2 million) in a determined bid to wrap up the signing of Wiltord, with Bordeaux settling for around 86 million francs (approximately £8.2 million) for their main share of the mobile attacker.

The transfer would smash the transfer record at the Premiership runners-up, if it was to go through, following more negotiations within the next ten days.

After signing Pires and Edu on Monday, Wenger revealed that he wanted one more major capture before the start of the new season and, after holding talks with Swedish striker Kennet Andersson, the Gunners are believed to be chasing a replacement for West Ham new boy Davor Suker.

Man, what an attack, Kanu,Bergkamp,Henry,Wiltord???, Anelka can just stay in Madrid!! :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buying new players won't help us to overtake manure, 'cos we're already better them.

Personally I've never rated wiltord that highly, I completely failed to see his supposed worth in his games for bordeaux in the cl, and although his performances in e2000 were slighty more impressive, they were by no means spectacular. He has alot of pace, but I think he lacks penetration, and i'm not sure another striker in the pacy mould is what we need, when can already employ pires or overmars in that role if required. I would much prefer to see either dani or kluivert at arsenal.

£15m....ridiculous

p.s anelka can stay in madrid

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps not.

Dani is unhappy with barcelona, barcelona are unhappy with kluivert, and barcelona want overmars and petit. Even the impossible sometimes happens.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But Kluivert is happy at Barcelona :)

Anyway, Bordeaux president is urging Wiltord to remain with Bordeaux, although his agent reported that Wiltord could be an Arsenal player within this weeks.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
well
wiltord is better than nothing :D
anyway
if dani came
he'd probably be playing the same position he played at barca
sub
henry - bergkamp will most probably be the strikeforce for next season, with kanu and wiltord subs
not bad eh? :D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
French sources are reporting that Arsenal will meet Bordeaux officials next Wednesday to finalise £15m deal for Sylvain Wiltord. It is being claimed that most elements of the transfer have been sorted out and that the move need only be completed by the various parties. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts