Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking the last few years, and been wondering and pondering a certain aspect of italian football; the winners. While I don't support neither Hellas nor Samp, I would be hard pressed to argue against the fact that it is refreshing when teams like those win il campionato. As we know, Hellas won lo scudo in 1985 and Samp in the beginning of the 90's, but since then it's been more or less a race between Milan and Juve, and only le romane has been able to come in between. Parma came as close as you ever could, and if there were any justice they would have won it.

I fear that we will not get to see champions like Samp in 92 again, that the sport has since then evolved (or deteriorated) into a showdown between the biggest teams, which in effect means Juventus, Milan and Inter. Roma and lazie won it before the market collapsed, but now I feel as though the only way you'll be able to compete is if you invest a lot of money into the team, and in that regard the big three cannot be touched. Will serie A ever again see a "unlikely" champion with a smaller tifoseria win it, Samp or Genoa for example (both have owners that if they wanted to could very well build a very strong team), or Palermo?
I consider my own Roma to be somewhat in between the two camps - we're no where near the northern trio, but are still above the others, because of a huge tifoseria (at least in Rome) and that it's predestined that sooner or later another era will come, like the one of the 80's and to a lesser extent the one that is about to end.
I would love to see a smaller team challenge the big dragons once again, but I'm afraid the modernisation of calcio has made it nigh on impossible - especially with the extended serie A calendar. With 38 games and 20 teams, you need a great squad that's practically immune to injuries (sic!). If there were only 16 teams, like I want it to be, there is more room for an upset as you could go further with the same core of players without having to rely on star subsititutes.

What do you think? Will we see another Samp of '92? Give me hope.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
For this to happens, you need a team like Palermo who has money to also have a tremendous scouting system of Italy and the world to bring in some great unknown talent which can lift them to be so good that they can win the biggest prize in Italian football!

I think if they wanted too, teams like Palermo, Samp, Fiorentina and a few others could bring in both the best young players of Italy and also some good experienced ones who may not be what they were + a few world class foreigners... which combined can always create some surprise!!! but whether they would win a title... Not sure.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
To add: teams also need to hang on to their bette young players. I will say now to Parma fans that from what Ive seen of Lupoli, he is much much better than Ruopolo, and maybe even a match fo Maccarone even if he is so young! He could probably play alongside Gila in the first team if not this year then next. Unfortunately though you let him slip.

That was just an example. Too many teams give away their young players to Milan, Juve or Inter and in this case, European clubs, but usually for the money or for the players needs, at least teams like Palermo, Samp and others may not need this anymore and may actually try and win something with these players.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
No we'll never see "litte" teams to win it...
big teams have too much money ... it is only a question of money scudetto... sad but true

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Absolutely. I nodded in agreement with everything Cacini said in his first post. How I wish a Southern club would win it one day, but I know it isn't going to happen for the next 10 years. Not that I have anything against the Milans and the Juves, but it's been very refreshing to see Verona and Sampdoria win it for once. If anything, I think Udinese deserves to be challenging for the Scudetto more than anyone in the league.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I would like to see a small team win it. A team that has been underated for years that has a nice attacking style with a solid defence with some good Italian youngsters. I don't know any team like that. I would like to see Cagliari to win the scudetto sometime soon but that is not going to happen. So I will just have to content myself with the occasional upsets. Like Reggina over Juventus!

Oh and Deano Parma didn't let Lupoli go or for that matter Rossi they were taken away from them by rich attractive teams such as Arsenal and Man U. This symbolizes the shift of power to the Premier League from Serie A at least in monetary terms. Italy must hold on to it's younger talent and I hope Italy will be able to do that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
England does not have more power. They have more money but on account the real talent in Europe is in Italy and Spain shows that players do still want to compete at a higher level rather than go to England for the money. Since the inception of the Champions League, Manchester United are the only English winners. Theyre actually the only English finalists. Even Germany has had two winners and Portugal one. Its been dominated by Italy and Spain.
Also English clubs arnt interested in Italian players due to the large difference in styles of play in the countries. Most Italian players and players who previously played in Italy end up flopping or underachieving in England, probably due to the faster pace and lack of tactically awareness in England.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Dkjut I am talking about when England can attract young Italian players away from Italy that is bad, because those players are our future. This would have been unheard of a couple of years ago but right now with all the money that England has, england is fast becoming the place to be, no longer Italy. Or perhaps Italy is still the place to be but that doesn't mean Italy can afford those players. England has the money and that is where all players are going. But perhaps I am writing off Italy to soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think its only a few clubs that can attract those young Italian players and only from lower league clubs I would imagine(Rossi from Parma to Manchester United is different as Rossi is actually American and Americans love Manchester United for some dumb reason). Obviously most young players would prefer playing at United rather than say Crotone or Pescara if only for the money. But it seems fairly rare to see Italians leave Italy, or maybe I just have not heard as much about it as you.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I haven't heard much about Italians leaving Italy it is just a concern I have bordering on paranoia. Rossi was born in America but his parents are Italian and he lived there only for a couple of years.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The state of money power between the big clubs and the smal clubs in italy is becoming smaller ...the gap nowdays isnt as huge as it was before this ...and i belive that we will see a small champion ...with exception to milan who have berlusconi backing ...u look at juve with 12million in red and inter at 70 million in red ...i belive this clubs will be in greater debts in future unless they restrict themselves in wages and transfer funds if they dont manage to be successfull in the champions league as the CL progress generates alot money....this will only allow clubs like fiorentina,palermo and the romans to finnally come closer to the financial power of the top clubs .

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Maybe for Fiorentina, Palermo and maybe Roma or even perhaps Cagliari but if anything the gap is getting wider. Reggina was one of the few clubs to post a profit but that is because they have a salary of 5 million (not sure what currency). They are no where close to the big clubs Vieri makes around that much. The smaller clubs don't have nearly the amount of purchasing power that big clubs do.

·
Registered
46,336 Posts
Cacìni said:
What do you think? Will we see another Samp of '92? Give me hope.
Not with the current partition of the money coming from the TV deals with Sky. That makes the struggle of Della Valle & Co. very important and that's why I can hardly understand the behaviour of the small clubs who support Galliani. With a more balanced partition of the money coming from Sky the small/average clubs could finally build competitive teams otherwise there is no chance. The chairman of Sampdoria, for example, is rather rich, but he has always said that he won't waste his money. Our most expensive player one year ago was Doni (something more than 2m), while in this season we did not even spend that (Zenoni 1m, Marcello Castellini something more than 1m, then just loans and players whose contract had expired).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts