Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blogged yesterday over this issue. Below is the entire text.
Post your opinions.

This is the question that has been bothering me for the last couple of days. The return of captain Tommaso Rocchi against Bologna may see Delio Rossi use the so long awaited tridente: which in practice means to play at the same time Rochi, Zarate and Padev. Playing the three of them at the same time will require some sacrifices from Zarate and Pandev who will have to return back to assist other midfielders. Take that for a fact. Then the question arises: can they be as productive in creating chances/scoring once they will have extra work to do ? That will require physical activity in defending, rather than concentrating in creating and scoring. I honestly don`t know.

What I know for sure however is that Pasquale Foggia, in such a case would have to transfer to the bench. Because Ledesma and Brocchi are starters for sure and at this point coach Rossi is using Mauri as a substitute for the injured Matuzalem.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
I think it depends on which opponent we play. If our opponents park a bus in the area like Lecce and defend fiercely the tridente might do the trick to unlock a strong defence because we can put extra manpower in the box.

In that game we had an endless amount of crosses but Zarate and Pandev was not near them. That's where Inzaghi's presence in the box made the difference.

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
I think it will work, at least against weaker opposition. It's not as if Foggia defends better than Rocchi anyway. In the games so far Pandev has played further from the opposition penalty box than in previous season and he still has scored four goals. And having the luxury to put on a fresh sub, who for a change will be not only fast but a genuine quality player - be it Foggia, Rocchi or even (blasphemy!) Zarate will be very helpful against tired defences. Plus, it seems to be totally working for Udinese, it's not as if Pepe is better than Rocchi, whatever Lippi might think. As an added security, it would be better to play Dabo instead of Mauri in midfield, with one of the midfielders to be replaced by Foggia whenever we are feeling particularly adventureous.
And as mentioned, having a more classic striker in the box can make all the difference when the opponents defend in numbers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes why not.

Sacrifices will have to be made, but the trident is out future.

Sorry for foggia, as he will be relegated ton the bench, but hes a good option for the 2nd half.

The trident with matuzlem brocchi and ledesma will be ideal in my eyes.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Well, others have the CrIbBa or the cacophonic AdIbBa, or even the KaPaRo. We, more modestly, have the ZaPaRo... and that's a good fact that we have such lethal players in the team, I'm sure Rossi has already thought some ways to field those three players at the same time, although practically they have never played together. Then, I agree that against defensive minded opposition (especially at the Olimpico) fielding the trident would be easier than, for example, some top teams away. I think the key is how our midfield could bear the burden of the trident. Brocchi and Lichtsteiner on the right provides a good defensive play. On the other wing, some problems could arise because Mauri's defensive abilities are next to 0 (zero) and Kolarov has still to learn to push the brake down sometimes. Dabo on the left could be the right move, since Matuzalem and Meghni are spending more time with doctors than with team mates. Pity for Foggia, anyway. He has had a very good start to this season, and for sure deserved to be called up in the Italian National team. If Perrotta wears the blue shirt of Italy, I see no reason why Pasquale could not.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...after watching this first half against Catania, this questions if tridente will work has become more legitimate to make.

Against teams like Catania, it is impossible to play with 3 attackers at the same time because Zarate and Pandev have to play away from opponents goal way too much.

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
I think the problem was more Pandev and Rocchi totally underperfroming and the midfield not being creative enough, to put it mildly, than some inherent flaw in the trident attack. Even if Zarate and Pandev play in the box more this would be pointless if they don't receive good balls there. Also Catania did defend very well. But notice how we score - the presence of Inzaghi in the box made it possible for Foggia to receive the ball unmarked from the third member of the trident at that point, Zarate.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Neither Zarate, Pandev nor Rocchi are fullblown box strikers. All three of them likes to drift out of the box and we need presence in the box for the trident to work. The only real box striker we have is Inzaghi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts