Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because Sporting & Porto will be in next year's Champions League, I assume that there will be a plyoff between the Taca's losing semi-Finalists for the 1 remaining UEFA Cup slot.
Has anyone heard when this match will be played?? It leaves us with another poor team we are sending into Europe, like Beira-Mar last year. Both are now Div 2 teams and won't help our imagE!

·
Registered
595 Posts
By the way, Moreirense was relegated to 2ªB.
Imagine! Portuguese football represented by a team that has just been relegated from the second division!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I thouht that as both teams in the cup final r in the CL that the extra place was going to 4th in the league and not the semi finalists.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Boavista is the 2nd UEFA Cup team.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

http://www.fcporto-online.com

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yey Mr. Bravado!

Yes that's you Santa..............

If you got any balls, which I doubt, lets have a gentlemen's bet about next year's CL.

Here it is:

Porto will deinately go farther then SCP in the CL. Without a shadow of a doubt!

Game?

------------------
Viva O Norte
Viva Porto
Viva Futebol Clube do Porto
Viva Pinto da Costa

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ola,

Firstly you'd expect Porto to do better in the CL next year as they are much more experienced in europe. It is excepted that teams have to learn how to win in europe.

Secondly I wouldn't want to have a "gentlemens" bet with you.

ps Sporting should have won the title this year by 10 points at least,

Looking forward to life after Jardel?

Cheers mate

[This message has been edited by Santamaria (edited 16-05-2000).]

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excuses Excuses Excuses

Santa.....................

Are you preparing for a failing CL campaign next year? Is this what I am hearing?

Just like I thought, no balls no glory.

Teams have to know how to win in Europe as you say! That's cute and quite a load of rubbish as you say.

Cheer mate!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ola,
i for one am just going to ignore everything you post from now on, you never have anything honest, mature and reasonable to say.

[This message has been edited by laureano (edited 16-05-2000).]

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still haven't heard anything about this Moreirense v Rio Ave game - or have the FPF just given it Rio Ave??

·
Registered
595 Posts
There will be no game, there won't be any extra slot for UEFA. Since there isn't the Cup winners cup anymore, the winner of the cup (Porto) would be qualified for UEFA Cup. But Porto is going to play in the Champs League. IF Porto is eliminated from the CL, THEN they will go to UEFA Cup.
I suppose it's like that. But if there was going to be any game, we would have heard it by now.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Dani your question has been answered a long time ago. Look at the 4th reply to this topic. :)

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, but I thought we had 3 teams in the UEFA Cup, so we just have 2 do we?

CL:
Sporting
Porto

UEFA Cup:
Boavista
Benfica

So we have 4 teams in Europe next season? Is that what UEFA think of us?

Boavista & Benfica better work their butt's off next season in the UEFA Cup or the prospect of another Beira Mar in the UEFA Cup looks less and less likely.

This has all sorts of implications - the small clubs will have to finish at least 4th to get into Europe - and therefore a less chance of that much needed cash.

------------------
FROM DA UK PORTISTA
VIVA O PORTO!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Normally the Cup winner goes right into the UEFA Cup...but because the Cup final was betwen the 1st and 2nd placed clubs the 4th placed team gets the 2nd UEFA Cup spot.

Comprendo Dani? :)

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes ok Marcoa, it has finally got through my thick skull :)

I'm just annoyed we only get 2 UEFA Cup places

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wait till next year when we'll have no automatic CL places.

The champion will have to prequalify, possibly against the likes of Milan or Real Madrid (4th place Spainish/Italien).

2nd place will be UEFA.

In 5 years the CL could be nothing but a fond memory. Actually it probably won't exit - they'll be a 16 team Euro league.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
no. Next season if Porto and Sporting both get into the second round and 1 team gets to the Quarters there is no way we will lose a spot or 2. Remember Porto picked up valuable coefficient points this season when they Beat Hertha Berlin, Real Madrid (German and Spanish League).

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Marcoa & co: I'm a bit in-experienced on the web so I was wondering if and where there was a copy of this UEFA Coefficient list??

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
e-mail the webmaster of Portuguese Soccer.Com...I believe he knows a very good site. Also I am not sure when UEFA updates their co-efficient list. Should be in the next few weeks though.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts